A Question for all the Low Carb Haters

highervibes
highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
I keep reading how difficult it is to maintain a low carb lifestyle in the long run, and that all the weight people doing LC work to lose will just come back when they re-introduce carbs. Why? If a calorie is a calorie, and you stay within your caloric goal, why on earth would the weight come back? Just curious if there is some sort of metabolic damage you can do to your body by being LC that won't allow it to metabolize them properly if you did add them back in (always assuming you're eating to maintain or at a deficit)

Replies

• shosh413
    shosh413 Posts: 135 Member
    I'm curious at this answer -bump
  • Icyy037
    Icyy037 Posts: 13
    bump for later
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,463 Member
    I'm not a hater - I did low-carb (Atkins) for a while years ago, and it worked at the time. I did gain loads of weight when I stopped (after being advised to due to health problems I had at the time). I know that for me, low-carb seemed to work by limiting eating opportunities whilst decreasing my appetite (I don't know if it works this way for everybody). I found that I was eating at a deficit whilst on low-carb, without trying to. Naively, I'd hoped that if I just went back to normal eating, I'd maintain, rather than gain. I'm not sure why that didn't happen, but it might not have been related to the low-carb diet in particular. I'm not quite sure why I gained so much, but that does sometimes seem to happen to people who have been dieting (I gained much more than I'd lost in the first place!).

Edit to add: obviously, I didn't stay within my caloric goal, because I didn't have one! I sometimes tracked calories while on Atkins out of curiosity, but I didn't deliberately eat less, I just seemed to be less hungry. When I started eating "normally" I didn't count calories either, but I presume I was eating more than on Atkins. So for me, it suppressed appetite - when I stopped my appetite increased.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    I am really hoping someone that is smarter than me answers but her is my take..

I did Atkins and lost about 10 lbs, 10 years ago. I didn't have a lot to lose. I now eat 30% of my diet in protein and about 40% in carbs.

I really think that limiting carbs and eating higher protein is the key. When I did Atkins, I was eating more protein which made me feel fuller longer and in turn ate less than TDEE. Now that I understand TDEE and eat below it with a higher protein than the FDA recommends, I lose. I don't limit carbs at all now but back then by focusing on carbs ONLY, I unintentionally upped protein and ate under TDEE which resulted in the loss.

It's all about finding what works for you! Long term no diet will work unless you change your life style. I doubt that you never want to eat bread or cake again so start focusing on big picture diet not just limiting one thing.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    I think people go on low carb diets because they want the quick fix...we all do...but normally people who want quick fixes end up quiting the diet altogether, and with no exercise end up gaining all the weight back being in a calorie surplus..I mix my diet between low carb and high carb each week...
  • highervibes
    I'm not a hater - I did low-carb (Atkins) for a while years ago, and it worked at the time. I did gain loads of weight when I stopped (after being advised to due to health problems I had at the time). I know that for me, low-carb seemed to work by limiting eating opportunities whilst decreasing my appetite (I don't know if it works this way for everybody). I found that I was eating at a deficit whilst on low-carb, without trying to. Naively, I'd hoped that if I just went back to normal eating, I'd maintain, rather than gain. I'm not sure why that didn't happen, but it might not have been related to the low-carb diet in particular. I'm not quite sure why I gained so much, but that does sometimes seem to happen to people who have been dieting (I gained much more than I'd lost in the first place!).

Edit to add: obviously, I didn't stay within my caloric goal, because I didn't have one! I sometimes tracked calories while on Atkins out of curiosity, but I didn't deliberately eat less, I just seemed to be less hungry. When I started eating "normally" I didn't count calories either, but I presume I was eating more than on Atkins. So for me, it suppressed appetite - when I stopped my appetite increased.

I can appreciate that you weren't counting calories on your LC plan but do you think you would have still gained if you had added back carbs but remained within your caloric goals? My cravings also disappeared when beginning my LC journey, which makes it VERY easy to remain focused on my goals. I guess my question is.... will eating LC do some sort of damage to your body that makes it forget how to metabolize carbs later on? This is assuming you are always within the same amount of calories for your needs. I REALLY like the way not eating breads/starches makes me feel. But I got fat because I liked the way croissants made me feel too LOL Am I damaging my body to do it? Because I definitely don't want to do that; my ultimate goal is heath before weight loss, but the weight loss is sort of an inevitable fringe benefit right?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    I keep reading how difficult it is to maintain a low carb lifestyle in the long run, and that all the weight people doing LC work to lose will just come back when they re-introduce carbs. Why? If a calorie is a calorie, and you stay within your caloric goal, why on earth would the weight come back? Just curious if there is some sort of metabolic damage you can do to your body by being LC that won't allow it to metabolize them properly if you did add them back in (always assuming you're eating to maintain or at a deficit)

I think people are often referring to the fact that grains/carbs are a readily available food source, found at pretty much every home and restaurant. And many low-carbers often lament the fact that they are forced to give up their favorite foods. Once they add those foods back into their diet, they are susceptible to gaining weight because they never learned how to moderate their choices.

For example, my in-laws go low-carb crazy every now and then. They don't count calories, because they firmly believe it's simply the carbs that are making them fat. So, they ditch all carbs (including fruits and veggies) and eat only meats, some dairy, and fats. Since those foods are more satisfying, they eat less calories. They are getting "fuller" on less food. So, they lose weight.
    Fast forward a couple of months and they have come pretty close to their weight loss goals, so they stop dieting. Now, bring on the carbs. They eat like there's no tomorrow. My FIL literally walked around with a 9x13 pan of cake and a fork one day. They never learned that a piece of cake has calories, and that one piece of cake fits in their goal - but a whole pan does not. They are literally unable to moderate those choices. They eat too much food, and then when they gain all the weight back (and they always do) they blame the carbs again - not their bad overeating habits.

My problem with low-carb is that it's like a lot of other diets - it doesn't teach you how to moderate your choices and learn to manage your favorite foods. Calorie counting does. Also, carbs can be very beneficial to energy levels. For example, I like to run. If I were to go low carb, I would struggle to keep my energey levels up, especially on days that I run. The body can turn all macros into energy of course, but carbs are a more readily available source.

Are there people who benefit from low carb? Sure. Diabetics, people with PCOS and other insulin resistance disorders. But, I think a more sensible approach is to aim to hit your protein goal every day and then your fat goal, and then let the rest of your calories fall where they may. Doing this will lead to less carbs than the "average" person, while still providing plenty for a quick energy source.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    I keep reading how difficult it is to maintain a low carb lifestyle in the long run

It's simply not for everyone, and that's not a problem. The problem is people who don't like it, from either failing or just will not try. They have to make you aware of their opinion, loudly and passionately. It does a disservice to someone who tries it and does well, and someone who is having a hard time with carb cravings looking for a different way.

The sensible diet is the one you will stick to. No matter what, you all have to learn to eat in moderation once you make goal. Calorie counting is not immune to this fact.

People are quick to blame the diet and not themselves for not learning their lesson by getting fat in the first place. Nobody believes a carb doesn't have a calorie while shoveling in an entire cake. They have bigger problems.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    If a calorie is a calorie, why the hell are you doing low carb?

Low carbing drains your glycogen stores rapidly and that's why you see a large initial drop in weight; it comes back as soon as you eat carbs because they refill.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable exercising on depleted glycogen stores, because that energy has to come from somewhere, but hey - whatever floats your boat.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    whatever floats your boat.

Exactly. If you don't like it, oh well. Someone else does.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    I didn't do low carb because I wanted a "quick fix"...I did it because it works for me. And unlike all the haters, I didn't gain all the weight back once I started adding carbs back in. I lost 80+ lbs doing a low carb plan and kept it all off for 4+ years. I ate at my maintenance calorie range and continued to exercise and be active. In the last year, I gained 25 lbs back...not because low carb "doesn't work" but because I moved, was stressed out, at out a lot more and didn't exercise nearly as much. Since January, I've been doing low carb again and once again at my target goal.

Low carb may not be for everyone, but it works. It isn't just water weight. The weight just doesn't pile back on when you are eating carbs again. If you regain the weight (you know like 90% of the people who lose weight), it is because you are eating more than you need...not because the carbs put the weight right back on.

I often find the misinformation about low carb diets from the "haters" to be staggering.

i think the argument is that if you'd learned to eat a more balanced diet, you could have avoided regaining those 25 pounds more easily. the restriction of most low-carb diets causes people to rebound like you experienced, because instead of enjoying their new lifestyle, it's all about not ALLOWING themselves the foods they love. Once life comes a-knockin' and you're stressed and have other issues to worry about, if your dietary choices are already things you ENJOY you're not as likely to seek comfort in them. If your diet is just another area of your life that isn't making you happy (because of carb restriction or whatever), you're way more likely to throw your hands up in the air, say "screw it" and start chowing down because you've been depriving yourself for so long.

This is why moderation works.
  • mryak750

Low carbing drains your glycogen stores rapidly and that's why you see a large initial drop in weight; it comes back as soon as you eat carbs because they refill.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable exercising on depleted glycogen stores, because that energy has to come from somewhere, but hey - whatever floats your boat.
    when you deplete the glycogen stores then energy then comes from fat storage...hence fat lost..
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member

when you deplete the glycogen stores then energy then comes from fat storage...hence fat lost..
    Which is fine if you're doing steady state stuff or are happy to run out midway through a workout because it needs time to catch up metabolising the fat.

Wouldn't work for my workouts.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Okay, I'm not exactly a "low-carb hater" myself, but I've had to lower my carbs from what I used to do because of Type 2 diabetes. My limit (via the dietitian I had last year) is 155 grams of carbohydrates. I'm allowed 30-45 grams for each meal and 15-20 grams for a snack. Instead of three big meals and a big snack, though, I try to spread everything out throughout the day to keep from getting so hungry. When I do exercise, I can add some more carbs into the mix, but I try to watch what I eat in the process. I must have carbohydrates for that much-needed energy.

When I'm logging on MFP, if my carb count reaches that max before the calories are reached, then I can't really find anything to help with that, except maybe some grilled meat for protein.

Not every plan works for every body. If low-carb's working for you, stick with it. If not, try something that will work. In my case, the plan was very simple:

1. Watch what I eat.
    2. Watch how much I eat.
    3. Drink a lot of water.
    4. Exercise.

End result: 50 pounds lost in one year. No need for the quick fix, as I just took my sweet time and let everybody slowly see the difference. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Not a hater...and though I do think people should eat less carbs...particularly less junky carbs, I don't think it's necessary to go LC/NC to lose weight. Also, it isn't sustainable for many. I could never do it...I do a 40/30/30 ratio which limits my carbs to much less than I previously used to eat, but it's still over 200 grams of carbs. Most of mine come from whole, natural foods and some whole grains. I occasionally indulge in a soda or something, but it's not a routine part of my diet.

Personally, I think people just go to all kinds of unnecessary extremes and loudly voice their opinions as if their lifestyle is the be all end all and everybody should be doing it and if you're not doing it, you're going to become diseased and fat or whatever....doesn't matter...LCers, Paleo eaters...vegetarians/vegans...everyone thinks their plan is the be all end all.

the only reasons I could see for gaining weight when you re-introduce carbs is that your body is not used to using them for fuel...it takes awhile for your body to adapt back to burning carbs for fuel...so you'd probably store most of them initially. You also lose a lot of water weight when you cut carbs...you put a lot of water back on when you re-introduce them. It's not fat, but it is weight...and a lot of people only seem to care about the number on the scale and little else.
  • mryak750

Which is fine if you're doing steady state stuff or are happy to run out midway through a workout because it needs time to catch up metabolising the fat.

Wouldn't work for my workouts.

I train hard man, I'm no whimp......I do load up on carbs once a week
  • jestersand
    jestersand Posts: 61 Member
    It's really simple. Once you go back to normal eating, you tend to eat everything; carbs, fat, protein. Let's say for example a cheeseburger... Your body uses carbs first as a fuel source. Fat will automatically be stored in the reserves because it doesn't need it at that time.
    Super LC diets should be something that a weight trainer does, or someone trying to reach 0%fat in their body for a competition. Everyone else should stick to some carbs in their diet to fuel your mind in the morning, and fuel your workout. After a workout especially, if you don't give your body some carbs to burn, it will tap into the muscle.
    I am on a low carb diet too. But I eat it in the morning to fuel my brain (most important!!!!) and again after my workout. I have one cheat day, but even on my cheat day, I make sure I exercise first, and then I enjoy that special something I have been craving.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    LC most likely won't cause any metabolic damage. Carbs are required by the body to fuel certain processes and organs (like the brain), but it doesn't mean it won't remember how to break them down when they are added back. LC does affect the water balance in the body and that is often the first thing to lose and gain when going on and off LC.

The more likely reason people will gain the weight back after going LC is that they modified their behavior for one reason....to lose weight. Once the weight is lost, the person reverts back to the old behaviors and the weight comes back because they are once again eating too much. It has less to do with the LC than overall calorie consumption. This can be seen in many different eating styles. Once people get to where they want weight wise, if the habits were not something they wanted to live with long term, it can be more difficult to maintain the desired weight.

Those who are successful with LC and then maintaining probably have a better grip on the whole eating at maintenance than most people looking for the quick weight loss.

I am not low carb. It isn't for me. I eat around 200 g per day or so. That also isn't super high (45% or so of my daily calories). I found what works for me. I have no hate for those who find LC (or any specialized eating plan) works for them if they have educated themselves on it. I do get slightly frustrated when an individual picks an eating plan based on the premisse of quick loss without really knowing what they will have to do after the weight magically disappears.
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    I cut starches out to lose weight. I was also working out all the time and eating really healthy. Once I was happy with my body I reintroduced starchy foods but I only have them once or twice a week. Eating starches isn't good for anyone... fat or thin and we have to learn to eat them in moderation... like treats.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I cut starches out to lose weight. I was also working out all the time and eating really healthy. Once I was happy with my body I reintroduced starchy foods but I only have them once or twice a week. Eating starches isn't good for anyone... fat or thin and we have to learn to eat them in moderation... like treats.

I eat potatoes pretty much daily...why exactly is that bad and why must everyone cut out starches? I've lost 30 Lbs and completely reversed my horrible blood work. I'm no longer pre-diabetic either. All whilst eating potatoes. This is what I'm saying...why is it that everyone says, "I'm doing x, y, & z"...and instead of saying "this works for me," they say..."everyone should be doing x, y, & z of you're gonna die."

Ridiculous.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    I was on the Atkins version years ago and lost several pounds easily. But...as soon as I stopped, I started craving every single carb I missed, and then some. That was the only time in my life I can ever say I binged. Mainly I remember craving pasta. By the time I didn't crave carbs again, I had gained 10lbs on top of what I weighed to begin with.

Just last week I saw on one of the morning news shows, that it has been proven that people who consume a lot of meats such as bacon <gasp>, sausage, ham, basically any meat preserved, has a higher risk of coronary artery disease. I apologize for not remembering who the source was.

IMO, a healthier way to do it is to limit your number of carbs with a good balance of protein and fats. I'll never give up bacon.
  • CoachReddy
    I was on the Atkins version years ago and lost several pounds easily. But...as soon as I stopped, I started craving every single carb I missed, and then some. That was the only time in my life I can ever say I binged. Mainly I remember craving pasta. By the time I didn't crave carbs again, I had gained 10lbs on top of what I weighed to begin with.

Just last week I saw on one of the morning news shows, that it has been proven that people who consume a lot of meats such as bacon <gasp>, sausage, ham, basically any meat preserved, has a higher risk of coronary artery disease. I apologize for not remembering who the source was.

IMO, a healthier way to do it is to limit your number of carbs with a good balance of protein and fats. I'll never give up bacon.

don't worry - the study only shows a minor correlation if the majority of your protein intake is from processed meat. a lil bacon each morning is totally fine. :)
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    I don't understand this "Once you go back to normal eating.............". If you have that attitude of course you are much more likely to fail eventually. I never want to go back to 'normal' eating, that's what made me fat in the first place, all the biscuits (cookies), potato crisps, cakes, plus potatoes (usually fried) or rice or pasta with every meal which was 'normal' for me. All 'bad' carbs notice. Lowish carbs works for me though it's not a low carb diet.
  • ron2e
    I don't understand this "Once you go back to normal eating.............". If you have that attitude of course you are much more likely to fail eventually. I never want to go back to 'normal' eating, that's what made me fat in the first place, all the biscuits (cookies), potato crisps, cakes, plus potatoes (usually fried) or rice or pasta with every meal which was 'normal' for me. All 'bad' carbs notice. Lowish carbs works for me though I'm not on a low carb diet as such.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Your brain, which is responsible for more than just your thought processes (regulating heart beat, breathing, hormones, etc.) runs off of glucose. Where do you get glucose? From carbs. Sure your body can go through complex processes to get glucose from protein and fat but when it comes to my brain, I like to get what it needs without too much difficulty so that I can continue to go about my business (I'm a student, brain function is important to me).
  • CoachReddy
    I don't understand this "Once you go back to normal eating.............". If you have that attitude of course you are much more likely to fail eventually. I never want to go back to 'normal' eating, that's what made me fat in the first place, all the biscuits (cookies), potato crisps, cakes, plus potatoes (usually fried) or rice or pasta with every meal which was 'normal' for me. All 'bad' carbs notice. Lowish carbs works for me though I'm not on a low carb diet as such.

for once we agree.

your diet SHOULD be normal eating.
  • ron2e

don't worry - the study only shows a minor correlation if the majority of your protein intake is from processed meat. a lil bacon each morning is totally fine. :)
    for once we agree.

Damn! Two things we agree on in the same thread!! I must be losing the plot :laugh:
  • CoachReddy

for once we agree.

Damn! Two things we agree on in the same thread!! I must be losing the plot :laugh:

:happy: :drinker:
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Eating starches isn't good for anyone
    Annnnnnnd this is why people hate low carbers
  • highervibes

I do it because I am not constantly hungry or fighting cravings, and I FEEL so much better.