Quiting sugar...

Options
124»

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Cut out sugar? Why would you want to do that?
    Same reason you would stop smoking if you were a smoker. 180,000 people die each year from sugar is the currently accepted number.

No one dies "from sugar," and especially not sugar in reasonable and moderate amounts.

The problem with sugar is that too much of it causes obesity. There's nothing wrong with sugar itself. Comparing sugar to smoking is absolutely ridiculous.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I must say I gave up sugar about 40 years ago (yep I am aging) and the only added sugar I have nowadays is 1/4 tspn on my cereal some mornings. I gave it up cold turkey and it was a bit difficult drinking coffee without it but you get used to it after awhile. Goodluck.
  • kssunflower66
    Options
    I really would like to do this too.

"edited by moderator to remove personal information"

I know we can all do this!
  • savvymaami
    savvymaami Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Count me in! This has been a long-term struggle for me and I am ready to tackle it head-on. Feel free to friend me so you can hold me accountable with my daily food diary--I need it!

savvymaami
  • caiconCristi
    caiconCristi Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 70 without any sugar--meaning no processed foods or sugar, honey , agave, stevia etc.. No grains etc.. My biggest vice is just whole fruit now.
    The first week was the worst. I have done this before so I knew it wasn't going to be pretty. Tired, achey, headaches cranky!!!
    I was still craving sugar through Day21. I never thought it would end. After about a month it got so much better.
    Gone are the mood swings, the PMS, the bingeing. I ate a lot of fruit in the beginning but even that has slowed down.
    I pray to stay this way. I know from the past that if I let myself get really tired or emotionally spent--I will want to reach for sugar. I'm not a person that can have just a little. I noticed that a teaspoon of honey in coffee or yogurt turns into more and more. Same goes for baked goods with just honey. Maybe one day I'll be able to restrain. I miss banana bread!
    For right now--I just keep focused on how peaceful my life is without it.

Good luck to you!!!
    Cristi
  • Southern_Cross_Girl
    Southern_Cross_Girl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So I've done a week peep!!! Hella proud of myself :) Seriously, I didn't think it could be done a few weeks back. The urges and temptations have been there but have resisted. Now for week 2! Hurrah! I have previously mentioned why I'm doing this so wont repeat that. Definitely got strength by coming onto MFP to quit with others.

Cutting out all fructose is not in my remit... yet, so for now content to be no longer indulging in refined sugar and know i'm healthier for it! Thanks all!
  • anne2605
    anne2605 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I decided to stop taking sugar in my tea on 1 Jan 13 (New Year Resolution) and also to quit eating chocolate (ate way too much to be considered healthy). It's only added sugar I'm bothered about not natural sugars found in fruit etc. I'm sure I'm consuming sugar without even realising it but that's ok. I'm not overly obsessed to avoid sugar, just sensible. If I want chocolate or a biscuit, I'll have it but after 3 months of not having it, I really don't crave it. In fact the other day my children and I made some white chocolate cookies and I started to eat one but only managed a small bite, I found it just too sweet.

Give yourself at least 21 days and you'll find any cravings you've experienced in the past will lessen.

Good luck.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Same reason you would stop smoking if you were a smoker. 180,000 people die each year from sugar is the currently accepted number.

No one dies "from sugar," and especially not sugar in reasonable and moderate amounts.

The problem with sugar is that too much of it causes obesity. There's nothing wrong with sugar itself. Comparing sugar to smoking is absolutely ridiculous.
    This. Except it's mostly to many calories that causes obesity. Your brain and some other things quite literally needs sugar to live. It's the brains primary source of fuel. If you're not consuming some kind of sugar, you're actually quite off your rocker and are in no state to argue lol. I'd say look up how the brain works but I'd say with 0 sugar that would be quite the job to digest.
  • yoshna
    yoshna Posts: 69
    Options
    Hey guys! How's everyone doing?

I'm now at the end of day 9 sugar free. I've had a couple of half-teaspoons in coffees over the last week, but other than that, nada...and feeling amazing, so much energy - and more consistent energy too, I didn't realise how much sugar was affecting me through the day.

Today though, I was really craving something decadent...and I remembered finding this recipe a while ago, so decided to give it a try: RAW chocolate brownies, made from only raw cocao, almonds, walnuts, dates and a pinch of salt. They're incredible!! Honestly, I don't know why anyone would go back to regular brownies after these - they're delicious AND packed with protein and goodness. The dates do make them high in fruit sugar but I reckon that's ok ;) I've cut them into 12 squares and they're in the fridge for me and my housemates to munch through the week. OK anyway...make 'em! The ONLY drawback is the ingredients are pretty pricy - but it makes enough to give you a couple of weeks worth of sweet treats if you don't eat them all at once, and they're so worth it.

http://mynewroots.org/site/2011/04/the-raw-brownie-2/
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I don't think Stevia is a sugar. It is plant-based and natural and I will never give it up if it means I can replace my honey with it. I was so sad when I found out that honey and agave were just as bad as sugar.

Unfortunately, I had sweet corn for dinner, and honey in my tea again.

Chantahl and Yoshna... You two are doing really well. How many people are officially "with us". I appreciate the supporters who pop in to share their successes, but is anyone else just starting?

Thanks for the recipe Yoshna. I can't have cocoa, so carob is my substitute. I also can't have almonds, so I would have to replace those, but otherwise these sound great! I had some prunes today. Dried fruit is so yum - though the natural sugar count is higher than in fruit. I don't know if that's "bad". :smile:
    Thank you sir.
    Sugar. Aka "white death".
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options

This. Except it's mostly to many calories that causes obesity. Your brain and some other things quite literally needs sugar to live. It's the brains primary source of fuel. If you're not consuming some kind of sugar, you're actually quite off your rocker and are in no state to argue lol. I'd say look up how the brain works but I'd say with 0 sugar that would be quite the job to digest.
    Don't take my word for it.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/19/health/sugary-drinks-deaths/index.html
    Glucose is what we use. Sugar is a generic term for all sugars. Glucose, fructose, lactose, maltose etc. Sucrose or cane sugar is a complex of glucose + lactose. Its the fructose which is the suspected contributor to obesity.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Don't take my word for it.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/19/health/sugary-drinks-deaths/index.html
    Glucose is what we use. Sugar is a generic term for all sugars. Glucose, fructose, lactose, maltose etc. Sucrose or cane sugar is a complex of glucose + lactose. Its the fructose which is the suspected contributor to obesity.

Sugar in any form doesn't make anyone obese, nor does it kill anyone.

Obesity kills people. Too much rice will make you just as obese as too much Pepsi.
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi Jonnythan. It's interesting that the scientific community is now starting to focus on why fructose is the culprit. This form of sugar has no feedback for hunger. You can binge on sugar products (a decent cake of chocolate) and still be hungry because there is no hormonal feedback. Eat carbs or protein & your body gets satisfied. You stop eating.
    The conventional view that is is as simple as just calories in that causes obesity falls over in poor countries where there is still obesity.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    I have just completed the 21 Day Sugar Detox. You will be amazed by what you can do. Stick to meals that are Paleo friendly. You cannot completely cut out sugar but you can reduce it greatly by making alot of meals and sauces yourself and also by using all natural or organic sweeteners. i have definatley noticed that after completing this 21 days I have a different taste for sweets! Everything I put in my mouth seems to be too sweet and I have no interst in finishing. Good luck to you! Adapting sucks but once you have taken on the habits you'll do jusssst fine!

^THIS.