No Eating at Night?

Does anyone believe you shouldn't eat at night time? Do you stop eating at a certain time? Since I've started monitoring my calories I've been getting really hungry late in the evenings, even waking up at night hungry. Is it best to not eat during these times? (No, my calories aren't too low, I'm doing 1580 plus I eat back my exercise calories.)

Replies

• KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    You can "spend" your calories whenever you choose. You may have to tweak your routine if it's not working, however.
  • Ty to eat more filling foods that will hold you over through the night. I eat my last meal between 7 and 8pm. At first it was hard, however, now my body is trained. Try sticking to a schedule so that you eat every 2-3 hours.

Hope this helps!
  • Bump. Surely there are some people who have an opinion on this?
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    I eat when I am hungry
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    I try to stop eating by 7pm and do not eat again until breakfast the next morning.
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    I believe you should eat whenever you are hungry. I for example eat 4 times during the night between 9pm-6am but working nights has something to do with it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    You can "spend" your calories whenever you choose. You may have to tweak your routine if it's not working, however.

This, right here. If you're hungry at night, try eating less - but more filling foods (ie: more protein-rich foods) earlier in the day. That way, you can have a little snack at night.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Meal Frequency has no bearing on weight loss.... I eat in bed and have throughout my weight loss and have lost a few pounds. As long as you are hitting your caloric intake for the day then eat your calories whenever you see fit........ Best of Luck....
  • I don't eat past 7 at night, but maybe if you get hungry have a vegi or something.
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    I stop eating by 7 p.m. It just became a habit and I prefer it that way.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    I eat right up until bedtime.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    I stop eating when I'm asleep. I'm not a believer in waking up to get more food. Eat whenever you want but do try and get enough rest for the next day. Sleep is important.
  • just use the pototae cleanse, eat all the carbz you want two and avoid protiensd..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/944039-pototae-cleanse-pruven-methods
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I eat when I am hungry

I agree with this. I always have a bedtime snack, still have lost a lot of weight.
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    I had breakfast at half one this morning, so no i dont stop eating by a certain time, but remember if youre eating late at night you dont have chance to burn the cals off, how you would in the day. My sleeping patterns are pretty messed up too so i eat at all weird times.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Unless you are a Mogwai, it's fine to eat at any time, it won't have any bearing on your loss.
  • I believe that eating in the evening is bad FOR ME. But this is because that is when I tend to do my mindless "because I'm bored" eating and end up eating just for eating's sake as opposed to because I'm actually hungry and I tend to do a lot of damage calorie-wise. So this is a habit that I really need to try and break.

But really as long as you're within your budgeted calories there should be no problem with eating in the evening/at night. If you're hungry eat.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    I had breakfast at half one this morning, so no i dont stop eating by a certain time, but remember if youre eating late at night you dont have chance to burn the cals off, how you would in the day. My sleeping patterns are pretty messed up too so i eat at all weird times.
    Why don't you have a chance to burn the cals off? You're burning cals all the time.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    I don't eat passed 8 pm. I don't have big meals at night either. That works better for me. I don't seem to digest well if I go to bed with a full stomach (wake up all night with stomach ache/reflux/indigestion). I don't get indigestion otherwise...in fact, I don't have tummy issues at all usually.
  • I have a similar problem due to blood sugar... when it's low it is LOW! and I feel sick because of it. I always believed that myth that you should eat your last meal before 8pm if you want good weight loss, however, I find my blood sugar to be so low by the time I go to sleep at 10:30-11 that I can't sleep because I feel so bad... not to mention waking up in the middle of the night feeling bad also. I recently was reading an article about weight loss myths and it said that the before 8pm rule is in fact a myth! :) the article said something along the lines of "Your body can't tell time and if your body needs the calories, it will take them" It probably just has to do with routine.

I always have greek yogurt, a hard boiled egg white, an imitation crab stick, or a few saltine crackers later than 8 just to keep my blood sugar up and as long as I have the calories to spend it doesn't seem to effect my weight loss badly. I stick to around 1200 calories a day