No Eating at Night?

Options

Replies

• Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me because I get home anywhere between 7:15-7:45 depending on traffic and have to be in bed by at least 10-10:30 for decent sleep. I don't really have a set time of when to stop, but try not to eat too close to bedtime.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Does anyone believe you shouldn't eat at night time? Do you stop eating at a certain time?
    6pm. But then, I have Achalasia (a motility disorder) so eating late will keep me up all night.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Timing of meals doesn't matter a bit. I eat dinner at 8:30-9:00 PM usually. I've lost 30 Lbs. If you have a calorie deficit, you'll lose weight...your metabolism doesn't care or know what time it is.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I had breakfast at half one this morning, so no i dont stop eating by a certain time, but remember if youre eating late at night you dont have chance to burn the cals off, how you would in the day. My sleeping patterns are pretty messed up too so i eat at all weird times.

You are constantly burning calories. I burn 1,800 (my BMR) calories per day just being alive...that's 1.25 calories per minute while I'm doing absolutely nothing...I don't even need to twitch a finger.
  • Niqkeema
    Niqkeema Posts: 17
    Options
    I have stop plus anytime I do I feel sick just my body telling me not to:(
  • epros39
    epros39 Posts: 17
    Options
    water and a couple of nuts do the trick for me. try removing yourself from the kitchen area after a certain time. if i'm close to food, it's on!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Does anyone believe you shouldn't eat at night time? Do you stop eating at a certain time? Since I've started monitoring my calories I've been getting really hungry late in the evenings, even waking up at night hungry. Is it best to not eat during these times? (No, my calories aren't too low, I'm doing 1580 plus I eat back my exercise calories.)

The timing of your meals has nothing to do with weight loss. My kitchen is never closed UNLESS I've ran out of calories for the day!
  • charliemarie923
    charliemarie923 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I had breakfast at half one this morning, so no i dont stop eating by a certain time, but remember if youre eating late at night you dont have chance to burn the cals off, how you would in the day. My sleeping patterns are pretty messed up too so i eat at all weird times.

You are constantly burning calories. I burn 1,800 (my BMR) calories per day just being alive...that's 1.25 calories per minute while I'm doing absolutely nothing...I don't even need to twitch a finger.

Yes i know this, i was comparing it to the day time, where you are active and can exercise and are just generally burning more cals.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I try to stop eating by 7pm and do not eat again until breakfast the next morning.

Why?
  • jestersand
    jestersand Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Eating at night is how you gain weight that fastest. Your body is 'shut down' and automatically stores all that you eat.
    I was on a 1700cal diet for jenny craig and couldn't manage to put my last meal in until and hour before I went to sleep. I ate a full bag of broccoli that you purchase in the frozen isle, with I Can't Believe it's Not Butter spray alternative butter, which wasn't too bad. And then I ate my little meal. I never felt hungry by eating a huge salad before the actual meal, so it kept me full all night. Try that trick. It can be any type of veggie. Just try not to eat at night. There's always a breakfast waiting for you in the morning.
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a Mogwai, it's fine to eat at any time, it won't have any bearing on your loss.
    ^best response:) And I agree.
  • boxem180
    boxem180 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake around 9 pm (right after when I work out) and I've been losing steadily. I have about 16 oz. of unsweetened original almond milk (by Silk) and 1-2 scoops of Isopure zero carb vanilla powder. For me (and I stress for me), it's not the time I eat but what I eat. I avoid carbs after 7 pm at night and stick to mainly protein - keeps me full until breakfast.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Yes i know this, i was comparing it to the day time, where you are active and can exercise and are just generally burning more cals.
    Yes, but if you eat when you are less active, you may store excess energy. Then if you don't eat when you are more active, you'll use that stored energy. You are always storing energy and using stored energy. It all balances out in the end.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Eating at night is how you gain weight that fastest. Your body is 'shut down' and automatically stores all that you eat.
    I was on a 1700cal diet for jenny craig and couldn't manage to put my last meal in until and hour before I went to sleep. I ate a full bag of broccoli that you purchase in the frozen isle, with I Can't Believe it's Not Butter spray alternative butter, which wasn't too bad. And then I ate my little meal. I never felt hungry by eating a huge salad before the actual meal, so it kept me full all night. Try that trick. It can be any type of veggie. Just try not to eat at night. There's always a breakfast waiting for you in the morning.
    Not if I don't eat breakfast there isn't. :wink:
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    In theory your bodies metabolism slows down a bit at night since your bodily movement slows down compared to the day, hence digestion of food may slow down as well which is why most people eat more in the day...
  • bobbyunangst
    Options
    I worried about eating late as well since I work till 7pm a few nights a week. I was told by many people not to stress it. That the hearsay about eating late was a myth. I try to eat every few hours including fruits and whole grain items. I switched from the really bad for you potato chips to brown rice and almond chips. They are made by Blue Diamond and are found at the grocery store.

I have taken the things that I loved but were not so great for me and found items that would replace it. For the most part I am happy with my food intake now and as long as I make sure to eat a good breakfast I dont get any hunger pains. However if I don't then I am very cranky by 10am or so.
  • carlenebouch
    carlenebouch Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a sensitive stomach and need to eat a little something before bed or I will wake up in the night with tummy troubles. Popcorn, 1/2 cup frozen fat free yogurt or dry cereal, but my new fav is 5 wheat Ritz crackers with 2 T. strawberry flavored cream cheese for a total calories of about 130.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Yes, but if you eat when you are less active, you may store excess energy. Then if you don't eat when you are more active, you'll use that stored energy. You are always storing energy and using stored energy. It all balances out in the end.

Bingo...it's cyclical. Not to mention, if you're eating at a deficit, you can't really store.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    I get the reasoning from those who have a digestion issue and get reflux if they go to bed too soon after eating.

And I take the point about snack eating at night being prone to junk food choices.

But theses sorts of things aside, the actual timing of food intake does not matter from a weight loss point of view.

We nearly always have tea (dinner to some of you?) at 7 or later and often a light snack after that - not a problem.
    Just look at those posters who have also said this and have lost 2 or 3 hundred pounds for proof! :smile: