Cancer risks not from food but ....

Options
EvgeniZyntx
EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
... your pets, especially from our feline friends?

It isn't processed food but viral risks from animals. Murine, feline and koala retrovirus have been found that cause various cancers in these species.

However recent research has also found that these retroviruses can cause transspecies infections.
The koala retrovirus (KoRV) is a gammaretrovirus closely related to the gibbon ape leukemia virus and induces leukemias and immune deficiencies associated with opportunistic infections, such as chlamydiosis. Here we characterize a KoRV newly isolated from an animal in a German zoo and show infection of human and rat cell lines in vitro and of rats in vivo, using immunological and PCR methods for virus detection. The KoRV transmembrane envelope protein (p15E) was cloned and expressed, and p15E-specific neutralizing antibodies able to prevent virus infection in vitro were developed. Finally, evidence for immunosuppressive properties of the KoRV was obtained.

card00415_fr.jpg

I've been following cat leukemia viruses reports for years without much concern but with an open mind because my university professor, who discovered CLV, was so concerned that he went home and "disposed" of his cats.

I'm not suggesting you do that but read up and perhaps that cute pet is not what you want to have at home?

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/zoonoticdisease.html

Replies

• taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Which is why loneliness is my best friend!
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    i shall have lung cancer sooner breathing the city air..

anyway i may have any cat virus already , i have practically grown up with them!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    pfffttttt
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

anyway i may have any cat virus already , i have practically grown up with them!

Have you heard of cat scratch disease?
    The cat was recognized as the natural reservoir of the disease in 1950 by Dr. Robert Debré.[7][8] Judy Dolan was the first person to be diagnosed with the disease in the United States of America.
    The causative organism was first thought to be Afipia felis, but this was disproved by immunological studies demonstrating that cat scratch fever patients developed antibodies to two other organisms, Bartonella henselae (B. henselae) and Bartonella clarridgeiae, which are rod-shaped Gram-negative bacteria.
    Kittens are more likely to carry the bacteria in their blood, and may therefore be more likely to transmit the disease than adult cats. However, the results of experimental studies showed that fleas serve as a vector for transmission of B. henselae among cats,[9] and that viable B. henselae are excreted in the feces of Ctenocephalides felis, the cat flea.[10] Another study showed that cats could be infected with B. henselae through intradermal inoculation using flea feces containing B. henselae.[11] As a consequence, it is believed that a likely means of transmission of B. henselae from cats to humans may be inoculation with flea feces containing B. henselae through a contaminated cat scratch wound or across a mucosal surface. Although Bartonella DNA has been reported in ticks, there is no evidence that CSD can be transmitted by tick bites.[12]
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    lol
  • Kadi82
    Options

yep same. My cats apart from 1, have been fereal kittens when we have adopted them
  • melbournemummy79
    Options
    Happy April Fools to you too.
    I remember they were telling us underwires in bras would kill us all.... cant wait :D
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Put I've had my cat in bed with me every night for the past 10 years. I better get a full medical.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Happy April Fools to you too.
    I remember they were telling us underwires in bras would kill us all.... cant wait :D

Hey,, it's not April first here. I suggest yo read those links they are real.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Put I've had my cat in bed with me every night for the past 10 years. I better get a full medical.

Toxoplasmosis? Google it.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

yep same. My cats apart from 1, have been fereal kittens when we have adopted them

Wait, you have cats and are holding a koala?
    Seriously living dangerously.
  • Kadi82
    Options
    I've been tested for toxo (they do it routinely while pregnant) I have no immunity. Yet I still sleep with my kitties. I test all those zoonotic diseases listed in your article. I'm not concerned one bit. I get positive PCR tests for FeLV frequently - and other zoonotic tests as I work in a veterinary laboratory. Being around it most days a week you think I would be concerned but really I am not.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options

Oh, goodness. My cat uses the cat litter as well. I wear gloves, but do you think a mask will be necessary as well?

I've been trying to get him to use the toilet but it's been a complete failure so far.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I'm not so sure - but I think the article is very interesting.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Oh, goodness. My cat uses the cat litter as well. I wear gloves, but do you think a mask will be necessary as well?

I've been trying to get him to use the toilet but it's been a complete failure so far.

One of my friends cats does actually use the toilet - true story :laugh:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

:noway:

You are aware that cats don't wipe their bottoms after pooing aren't you? That's why I won't let any animal get in my bed (even the ones I know and love).
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Leave my kitty out of this.
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You have too much idle time, my friend. Put your shoes on and go for a run!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Thank you, OP for your timely post.

Everyone else, I happen to know that OP is a scientist and works in the medical field. He is posting about managing health risks. Isn't that what we are all here for? To be healthy,? I understand people's connection to their pets and all but just because you disagree with him doesn't mean you have to be so hostile. If.you can't say something nice don't say anything at all! Geez!

OP sometimes people on these forums act like they weren't raised right. Don't let them bully you into being quiet. You might save a life with important info like this. Thank you.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options

Have you heard of cat scratch disease?
    The cat was recognized as the natural reservoir of the disease in 1950 by Dr. Robert Debré.[7][8] Judy Dolan was the first person to be diagnosed with the disease in the United States of America.
    The causative organism was first thought to be Afipia felis, but this was disproved by immunological studies demonstrating that cat scratch fever patients developed antibodies to two other organisms, Bartonella henselae (B. henselae) and Bartonella clarridgeiae, which are rod-shaped Gram-negative bacteria.
    Kittens are more likely to carry the bacteria in their blood, and may therefore be more likely to transmit the disease than adult cats. However, the results of experimental studies showed that fleas serve as a vector for transmission of B. henselae among cats,[9] and that viable B. henselae are excreted in the feces of Ctenocephalides felis, the cat flea.[10] Another study showed that cats could be infected with B. henselae through intradermal inoculation using flea feces containing B. henselae.[11] As a consequence, it is believed that a likely means of transmission of B. henselae from cats to humans may be inoculation with flea feces containing B. henselae through a contaminated cat scratch wound or across a mucosal surface. Although Bartonella DNA has been reported in ticks, there is no evidence that CSD can be transmitted by tick bites.[12]

This is why when you get bit by or even scratched by a cat you need to seek medical attention immediately! You will need a shot!