Cancer risks not from food but ....

Options

Replies

• ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Thank you, OP for your timely post.

Everyone else, I happen to know that OP is a scientist and works in the medical field. He is posting about managing health risks. Isn't that what we are all here for? To be healthy,? I understand people's connection to their pets and all but just because you disagree with him doesn't mean you have to be so hostile. If.you can't say something nice don't say anything at all! Geez!

OP sometimes people on these forums act like they weren't raised right. Don't let them bully you into being quiet. You might save a life with important info like this. Thank you.

^ QFT. Why are people so rude!!
  • weese17
    weese17 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    OP, this is why I have a dog, not a cat! :D
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Put I've had my cat in bed with me every night for the past 10 years. I better get a full medical.

Toxoplasmosis? Google it.

Oh, goodness. My cat uses the cat litter as well. I wear gloves, but do you think a mask will be necessary as well?

I've been trying to get him to use the toilet but it's been a complete failure so far.

One of my friends cats does actually use the toilet - true story :laugh:

I tried this, I bought the book and everything! I couldn't get it to work though ;(
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Yeah , it can take years to fully train them.

I think mask and gloves while changing the cat litter would be the safest idea.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Keeping your cats indoors should be sufficient risk management.
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have lost a sister and mother recently to cancer. I have lost grandparents to cancer. In my life of major losses to cancer, trying to live a healthy life might help, but if genetics have a path already written for you.... Enjoy life to the fullest and dont worry about getting cancer! Enjoy your family and friends while you can and if your pets are a big part of your life... Enjoy them and stop sweating the small stuff!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I make hubby change the litter box - thereby mitigating my exposure.

Yes I love him. What are you trying to say?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I spoke to my herbalist and she says that hanging seaweed picked on a moonless night over the cat litter box will help keep away any dangerous particles.

She also suggests keeping a cut onion by your bed each night - that soaks up any toxins in the air to help keep you healthier :flowerforyou:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I spoke to my herbalist and she says that hanging seaweed picked on a moonless night over the cat litter box will help keep away any dangerous particles.

She also suggests keeping a cut onion by your bed each night - that soaks up any toxins in the air to help keep you healthier :flowerforyou:

Your herbalist is a hack, it should be smoked fennel for the litter box and a cut turnip for your bedside.

Please change your setup quickly! I read this article also and I am very concerned for those of us with pets.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Shaking my head - herbalist? Some people just come here to post anything.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Keeping your cats indoors should be sufficient risk management.

It probably isn't as these diseases are often caught at birth.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    So I should cook and eat my cats. Oh well, science says so, better do it.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    SRH7 wrote: »
    Put I've had my cat in bed with me every night for the past 10 years. I better get a full medical.

:noway:

You are aware that cats don't wipe their bottoms after pooing aren't you? That's why I won't let any animal get in my bed (even the ones I know and love).

They also dont wash their paws after they dig in their litter box.

They happily walk on your bed pillows, your couches and your kitchen counters if they feel like it.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    i shall have lung cancer sooner breathing the city air..

anyway i may have any cat virus already , i have practically grown up with them!

Have you heard of cat scratch disease?
    The cat was recognized as the natural reservoir of the disease in 1950 by Dr. Robert Debré.[7][8] Judy Dolan was the first person to be diagnosed with the disease in the United States of America.
    The causative organism was first thought to be Afipia felis, but this was disproved by immunological studies demonstrating that cat scratch fever patients developed antibodies to two other organisms, Bartonella henselae (B. henselae) and Bartonella clarridgeiae, which are rod-shaped Gram-negative bacteria.
    Kittens are more likely to carry the bacteria in their blood, and may therefore be more likely to transmit the disease than adult cats. However, the results of experimental studies showed that fleas serve as a vector for transmission of B. henselae among cats,[9] and that viable B. henselae are excreted in the feces of Ctenocephalides felis, the cat flea.[10] Another study showed that cats could be infected with B. henselae through intradermal inoculation using flea feces containing B. henselae.[11] As a consequence, it is believed that a likely means of transmission of B. henselae from cats to humans may be inoculation with flea feces containing B. henselae through a contaminated cat scratch wound or across a mucosal surface. Although Bartonella DNA has been reported in ticks, there is no evidence that CSD can be transmitted by tick bites.[12]

My daughter almost lost the use of one eye as a child due to cat scratch disease.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    So I should cook and eat my cats. Oh well, science says so, better do it.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z4OZnQ4aTwc
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I NEVER trusted those koalas. Just got a bad vibe. Sleeping all the time -- with one eye just peeping open. I had a feeling they were trying to get me.
    Oh yeah, and....are we going to talk about the treadmill classes that are sweeping the nation? I read about it on MFP. They've got one in Marin County, California. That's got to be normal.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    ... your pets, especially from our feline friends?

It isn't processed food but viral risks from animals. Murine, feline and koala retrovirus have been found that cause various cancers in these species.

However recent research has also found that these retroviruses can cause transspecies infections.
    The koala retrovirus (KoRV) is a gammaretrovirus closely related to the gibbon ape leukemia virus and induces leukemias and immune deficiencies associated with opportunistic infections, such as chlamydiosis. Here we characterize a KoRV newly isolated from an animal in a German zoo and show infection of human and rat cell lines in vitro and of rats in vivo, using immunological and PCR methods for virus detection. The KoRV transmembrane envelope protein (p15E) was cloned and expressed, and p15E-specific neutralizing antibodies able to prevent virus infection in vitro were developed. Finally, evidence for immunosuppressive properties of the KoRV was obtained.

card00415_fr.jpg

I've been following cat leukemia viruses reports for years without much concern but with an open mind because my university professor, who discovered CLV, was so concerned that he went home and "disposed" of his cats.

I'm not suggesting you do that but read up and perhaps that cute pet is not what you want to have at home?

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/zoonoticdisease.html

Why would anyone post such nonsense? Nothing you have posted even remotely states that there is any human risk of cancer from any animal, let alone a cat. Here is the study you quoted:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1472152/#__ffn_sectitle

This study is about koala retroviruses.
    This study uses human cells in vitro
    This study uses rat cells in vitro
    This study uses rats
    This did not use cats
    This study is 10 years old

Your cornell link didn't work for me. Here is the brochure:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_zoonoticdisease.cfm

Please feel free to point out where it says cats are a cancer risk to humans.

I truly can't understand why someone would post such a misleading title and then have nothing to back it up.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Meh, apparently almost everything gives you cancer now a days... sun, no sun, this oil, that oil, eggs, cats, breathing in the city because of exhaust, breathing in the country because of pesticides... etc etc...

So i guess I'll take my chances. At this point my strategy is more or less to avoid nuclear reactors in meltdown.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    johnwelk wrote: »
    ... your pets, especially from our feline friends?

It isn't processed food but viral risks from animals. Murine, feline and koala retrovirus have been found that cause various cancers in these species.

However recent research has also found that these retroviruses can cause transspecies infections.
    The koala retrovirus (KoRV) is a gammaretrovirus closely related to the gibbon ape leukemia virus and induces leukemias and immune deficiencies associated with opportunistic infections, such as chlamydiosis. Here we characterize a KoRV newly isolated from an animal in a German zoo and show infection of human and rat cell lines in vitro and of rats in vivo, using immunological and PCR methods for virus detection. The KoRV transmembrane envelope protein (p15E) was cloned and expressed, and p15E-specific neutralizing antibodies able to prevent virus infection in vitro were developed. Finally, evidence for immunosuppressive properties of the KoRV was obtained.

card00415_fr.jpg

I've been following cat leukemia viruses reports for years without much concern but with an open mind because my university professor, who discovered CLV, was so concerned that he went home and "disposed" of his cats.

I'm not suggesting you do that but read up and perhaps that cute pet is not what you want to have at home?

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/zoonoticdisease.html

Why would anyone post such nonsense? Nothing you have posted even remotely states that there is any human risk of cancer from any animal, let alone a cat. Here is the study you quoted:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1472152/#__ffn_sectitle

This study is about koala retroviruses.
    This study uses human cells in vitro
    This study uses rat cells in vitro
    This study uses rats
    This did not use cats
    This study is 10 years old

Your cornell link didn't work for me. Here is the brochure:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/brochure_zoonoticdisease.cfm

Please feel free to point out where it says cats are a cancer risk to humans.

I truly can't understand why someone would post such a misleading title and then have nothing to back it up.

Thanks for playing.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Seriously? What about the people who don't have a cat, nor never have had a cat, and they have had cancer, or died from cancer. JW, because I have 3 immediate family members, 2 of whom (father and older sister died, husband survivor) who have not had cats.