Kitty Ketosis?

Options
A couple of weeks ago, my husband got me a kitten for our anniversary. I’ve never had a cat before. So I got him a kitty box, scratching post, etc. and we’ve been having the best time getting to know him. The only problem is that the past few days I keep getting whiffs of ammonia when I walk by his corner of the kitchen. The kitty is the only thing that's different in the house. I’ve got him on a raw meat diet and I’ve been reading a lot about ketosis. It makes sense to me that he might be smelling like ammonia because his diet is so low carb. Should I add some vegetables to his food? I want to be a good mommy for him!

Replies

• Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I've heard eating bananas will put you in ketosis. do you have any in the house?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I've heard eating bananas will put you in ketosis. do you have any in the house?

We do have bananas sitting on the counter. I haven't noticed any missing though.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Linked below is an article about ketosis in dairy cows. I know that cats and cows are different, but considering that they're both animals, I'm sure some of the science will transfer. Hope it provides some insight!

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/agriculture/pests-diseases-and-weeds/animal-diseases/beef-and-dairy-cows/acetonaemia-ketosis-of-dairy-cows
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    My sister uses peas for her cat's diet. She has a special Siamese show cat that she keeps on a special diet of raw chicken liver and ground lamb, so the addition of sweet peas is great at preventing the ammonia odor.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options

We do have bananas sitting on the counter. I haven't noticed any missing though.

It might be hard for a kitten to peel one anyways. A full grown cat wouldn't have any problems, but a kitten, I don't know.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Are you smelling his litterbox? Ammonia smell in urine is normal.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    If you really want to be a good kitty mommy don't make him wear that silly hat. All the other cats are laughing at him. :laugh:
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    nevermind
  • SueGremlin
    Options
    If you really want to be a good kitty mommy don't make him wear that silly hat. All the other cats are laughing at him. :laugh:
    So I just embarrassed myself answering a joke question in a serious manner, didn't I?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

My husband crocheted it for him. His name is Mad Max.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Ammonia is a common smell associated with ketosis. Here's an article I read about it.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/ammonia-smell-during-exercise-on-ketogenic-diet-qa.html
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options

My cats like to dress up.
  • SueGremlin
    Options
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My sister uses peas for her cat's diet. She has a special Siamese show cat that she keeps on a special diet of raw chicken liver and ground lamb, so the addition of sweet peas is great at preventing the ammonia odor.

Peas are ok, until the cat eats too much of them. Then, you're going to get some nasty green surprises in the litterbox.

Maybe try some squash or pumpkin?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Your cat may be injesting meat ketones, a substance occuring naturally in all meats. This will cause your cat to produce ammonia at an alarming rate and saturate its fur. However, cats make excellent mops in this state so attaching it to a handle will give you a self-cleaning mop!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Ammonia is a common smell associated with ketosis. Here's an article I read about it.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/ammonia-smell-during-exercise-on-ketogenic-diet-qa.html
    Ammonia also occurs when urine hits the air.

If you don't believe me, talk to your veterinarian about it. What you feed your cat is important. Reading stuff on the internet about human metabolism and trying to apply it to a cat can hurt your cat.

I don't think that's it. I bought the litter that is formulated to prevent the smell. I'm pretty sure it's ketosis.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Peas are ok, until the cat eats too much of them. Then, you're going to get some nasty green surprises in the litterbox.

Maybe try some squash or pumpkin?

Why would orange poop be better than green poop?
  • SueGremlin
    Options
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Is he neutered?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Is he neutered?

The vet said we had to wait until he was six months old to get him neutered. He's only 4 months now.