losing 100lbs in 9 months?

Options

Replies

• jodi_lynn1972
    jodi_lynn1972 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP January 22, 2013. I've lost 21lbs so far. My goal is 10lbs a month and so far I'm on track. I have another 134 to go to get to my goal weight. No set time really but I guess if I do 10lbs a month that would be 120lbs in a year.
    Feel free to add me...anyone from this post :flowerforyou:
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Once one gets into the higher digits, (loss wise) the pounds start to come off more slowly, at least it has for me...
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I am currently at 290 and want to loose 100lbs!!!! I set a goal to loose it in one year but your idea sounds much better!! I am 5'5!!! I just plan on counting calories (no more than 1500) working out daily and drinking lots of water! So far 10 pounds in 2 weeks!

I started at 270 and want to lose a total of 140. Lose it slow or you will have loose skin!
  • GrannyGwen1
    GrannyGwen1 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I started out here at 290 on March 12, 2012. I was a size 24W (tight), I bought a pair of size 8 jeans on Friday, and I am wearing them today. I have lost 142 pounds as of today so far. I want to lose about 15 more to be in the low healthy range for BMI. I lost the first 100 in a little over 6 months. It is doable. I stick to my calorie goal every day.
    The first 6 - 1/2 months I did not exercise because of bad knees from carrying around all the excess weight. I began walking in October, month 7. I began using an elliptical in November for 1/2 hour 5 days a week, and am now doing in addition to the elliptical 1/2 hour on the treadmill also 5 days a week. I got a fitbit in early February, and love it. It challenges me to do more. I walk at least 3 miles Saturday and Sunday.
    I am 61 years old.
  • ConquerorKim
    ConquerorKim Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also need/want to lose 100 lbs, plus some. I'd be happy with 100 in a year, but 9 months is also not a bad goal to have in place. I have been on and off this site so many times because I get so easily discouraged and always seem to hit a breaking point to where I just give in. I weigh now what you started out at. I would love to actually have some success. I've just not had much motivation or support from others. I would love some more people from this site, like yourself, to help support me so that I hopefully won't feel so easily hopeless and so that I can give support to them as well. I love to help people in any way that I can. :) I'm going to add you! Thanks for making this post and congrats on your weight loss thus far!
  • cloveraz
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^~ what he said...but, it would be nice to be out of this plateau.....:grumble:
  • imstrong4me
    imstrong4me Posts: 119
    Options
    I only have to lose 70 lbs I want to lose at least 30 lbs by aug 28 that is my 39th bday
  • sarahnull07
    sarahnull07 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think it ca be done! I want to loose 100lbs too =) lets all do it together
  • starfinale
    starfinale Posts: 309 Member
    Options
  • cloveraz
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^~ what he said...but, it would be nice to be out of this plateau.....:grumble:

To bust your through your plateau.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/943139-weight-loss-cheat-sheet-ipoarm

thanks!!! I went and looked at your website, also.....In the end, it's all good, because I'm still living a much healthier lifestyle and I know it will happen....
  • starfinale
    Options
    I started out here at 290 on March 12, 2012. I was a size 24W (tight), I bought a pair of size 8 jeans on Friday, and I am wearing them today. I have lost 142 pounds as of today so far. I want to lose about 15 more to be in the low healthy range for BMI. I lost the first 100 in a little over 6 months. It is doable. I stick to my calorie goal every day.
    The first 6 - 1/2 months I did not exercise because of bad knees from carrying around all the excess weight. I began walking in October, month 7. I began using an elliptical in November for 1/2 hour 5 days a week, and am now doing in addition to the elliptical 1/2 hour on the treadmill also 5 days a week. I got a fitbit in early February, and love it. It challenges me to do more. I walk at least 3 miles Saturday and Sunday.
    I am 61 years old.

woooowww you win!! I'm inspired! thank you for this! congrats on everything!
  • starfinale
    Options
    I am 100.8 from goal (180 lb), and I would love to loose 100 and be done with the active WL phase, but I've been struggling for the last year and I know for me, hoping (and praying) to loose 25 this year will make me happy. BUT I am going forward and am trying to get more active. I think you have a great plan!! I need to get cardio in 3x a week in addition to my martial arts, that's where I've been stuck. Good luck!!!!!:happy:

good luck to you!!! yea cardio has been really helpful so far. martial arts sounds like so much fun!
  • starfinale
    Options
    Have you started a group? If so, I'd like to join! I want to lose 120 lbs...not trying to do that by the end of the year, but 100 by the end of December would be awesome.

no I haven't. I should. I'm surprised at how many people are willing to join in. thank you!

Don't mean to be a downer... but December is 8 months away. This is 12.5lbs a month. This is quick weight loss. If you're severely obese you can do it. If you're not, then you're risking a lot of complications.

Cutting to many calories at once will cause a stall out. I stalled out for 6 months
    It can also lead to binging.

As you "weigh less" lose weight, you can't lose as much. When i started MFP i lost 20lbs in 3 weeks, but i was also 343lbs.
    You also risk losing muscle mass if you lose weight too quickly, your body won't look good. It will slow down your metabolic rate, and you won't burn as much and slow down if not completely stop your progress.

If someone loses 30lbs in 1 month, and another person loses it in 6 months. Who is more likely to keep it off? The person who it took longer cause they have the habits to keep it off. Notice habits take time, it takes practice.

Quick weight loss doesn't work. You're going for quick weight loss.

I have lost 191lbs also got my NASM CPT (National Academy Of Sports Medicine Certfied Personal Trainer), i have helped many people with their weight loss goals, and I have seen these errors time and time again.

Best advice i can give you, shoot for 1-2lbs a week and call it a day... quick weight loss doesn't work.

thanks! I'll keep all of this in mind. I don't plan on killing myself or anything to get there. I just wanted to big goal to work towards.
  • mizchubby69
    Options
    Hi I'm in, It never occurred to me ,to put a time limit on the weight loss great to have and give support to all of us in the same position:flowerforyou:
  • starfinale
    Options
    Hi I'm in, It never occurred to me ,to put a time limit on the weight loss great to have and give support to all of us in the same position:flowerforyou:

I started a 100 lbs in 9 months support group if you'd like to join it!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/13302-lose-100-by-january-1-2014-support-team

I'll send you an invite if the link doesn't work!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I did it. :)
  • monizjm
    monizjm Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    While I think it's doable, I don't think it's realistic. Even if you lose 2 pounds a week, you probably will not lose anything during the week of your period. So at most you'll lose 6 pounds a month...that's 54 pounds in 9 months. I think that's realistic. Give yourself plenty of time to lose the 100 pounds, don't stress yourself out trying to lose it so rapidly.

That makes a lot of sense!

I hope to lose between 50 - 75 pounds. I don't want to be a twig, but want to be healthy. :happy:
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I lost my wt. in about a year so I know that it is possible to lose a lot of wt. in a short period of time. Make sure that you aren't cutting your calories too much compared to your exercise calories burned. I lost my first 60 lbs. too fast and had some complications such as my hair breaking off and thinning. Once I started eating better, my hair filled out again. You can do this!!