124»

Replies

• LovesStrays
    Options
    I have 27 cats, that would be a lot of accounts. :noway:
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    OMG, I have only had a cat about 6 months. She was a stray that stayed.. I love her, but some days she eat one kind of brand and the next she wont and so on. I can never figure out what she likes. Every week I come home with half a dozen different kinds of food. I think she's playing me, and winning. HELP ME :ohwell:
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I have two words to say to all of you:

TOUGH LOVE!!!

Learning to say no, whether it's to cats wanting food, kids wanting new toys or husbands wanting a fondle when you have a headache, is something that all adults should learn.

I just said no to my cat and made sure it spent most of the day outside to get some exercise. Here are the before and after pix:

perfectfeeder_beforeafter.jpg
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    OMG, I have only had a cat about 6 months. She was a stray that stayed.. I love her, but some days she eat one kind of brand and the next she wont and so on. I can never figure out what she likes. Every week I come home with half a dozen different kinds of food. I think she's playing me, and winning. HELP ME :ohwell:
    Pick the healthiest and most affordable and stick with it or may end up with a picky eater, PLEASE DO NOT do that with the litter you will not like the results!
  • SRH7
    Options

TOUGH LOVE!!!

Learning to say no, whether it's to cats wanting food, kids wanting new toys or husbands wanting a fondle when you have a headache, is something that all adults should learn.

I just said no to my cat and made sure it spent most of the day outside to get some exercise. Here are the before and after pix:

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m9ils8Mh3y1qf3fi4o1_500.gif

Growth hormones are bad
  • wow29
    Options

TOUGH LOVE!!!

nice job and I agree, However our cat is de clawed and it would be cruel to leave Scout out-doors and defenseless
  • wow29
    Options

Growth hormones are bad
    lol
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    Pick the healthiest and most affordable and stick with it or may end up with a picky eater, PLEASE DO NOT do that with the litter you will not like the results!

:frown:
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

Growth hormones are bad
    lol

:noway: :laugh:
  • Inkchick
    Inkchick Posts: 31
    Options
    I have an adult male cat who is going to be 13 this summer. When I "met" him (he was originally my husband's cat) Boo was about 20 pounds, living indoors, being free fed dry cat food. There was one other cat in the household, an elderly female, also free fed dry food. Eventually we moved an the elder cat passed away. Boo got up to 23 pounds. We tried "diet" cat food, still free feeding. It wasn't until we had a long conversation with an excellent vet about cats and their diet, and I did much research online. We decided to change to a wet non-grain food and stop all free feeding. He never snacked on human food, but if yours does, stop that as well.

Over time, eating 5 ounces of wet non-grain food (we use Wellness canned food) he got down to about 17.5, and over the last two years he is now down to 16 pounds as of his last vet visit. He's a taller/longer than average house cat, but he still needs to lose about another 1 pound at least. We're taking it a pound at a time for him.

Because I work from home he eats 4x a day, but it could easily be split into a morning and an evening meal. It was hard work and believe me Boo was not happy about it, but after a few weeks it was a pretty normal feeding schedule. Now he even get's a few Greenie treats now and then.

Edited to add that he's indoor only.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I had a tuxedo cat when I was a child/teen. When we moved to SoCal he started gaining weight. I found out that the neighbors were feeding him. I asked them to stop being that we lived in coyote territory and I didn't want him to end up as CoFu. They didn't stop feeding him and he kept on ballooning. He was 30lbs the day he got eaten by a coyote. I still am mad at my neighbors.
  • SRH7
    Options
    nice job and I agree, However our cat is de clawed and it would be cruel to leave Scout out-doors and defenseless

Ouch! I have to admit I'd never heard of declawing until I joined this forum. Don't think it's legal in the UK.
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    www.catinfo.org