Words that make you cringe!

Options

Replies

• squatsandlipgloss
    squatsandlipgloss Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Can I just add that it makes me cringe (and want to scream) when people pronounce them incorrectly? I know I am not supposed to get annoyed by foreigners getting words wrong, but a lot of people here in Europe like to think that their English is good enough to speak it with each other (yeah, even though they both have another mutual mother tongue...). And I cannot stand it...

Or spelling:

It never get's old.
    My order is on it's way.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    hit the bricks

Hate that saying.. My husband has said it to me when we are fighting and I just want to black his eye. LOL
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    clean foods

no-carb diet
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    In regards to working out, I despise the word, 'Bulky'.

In regards to life.... 'Pacific/Pacifically' (ONLY when someone uses this word when they actually mean 'SPECIFIC'

'BABY DADDY/BABY MAMA' (Kills me a little on the inside every time)
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have to vent because I hear this 20 times a day.

A lady at my work pronounces the word "Program" like "Progrim" while on the phone with students.

It's a proGRAM like GRAHAM cracker.

Now I want a graham cracker.

I hate people pronouncing Graham like Gram when it's clearly Gray-am...Gray-am.... It's an old Scottish/English clan name and you lot bastardised it and continuously pronounce it wrong. So, I guess it's all relative, eh?!
  • biddy81
    biddy81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Ok, I have to vent because I hear this 20 times a day.

A lady at my work pronounces the word "Program" like "Progrim" while on the phone with students.

It's a proGRAM like GRAHAM cracker.

Now I want a graham cracker.

I hate people pronouncing Graham like Gram when it's clearly Gray-am...Gray-am.... It's an old Scottish/English clan name and you lot bastardised it and continuously pronounce it wrong. So, I guess it's all relative, eh?!

But what if I don't wish to eat a white clansperson from Scotland/England? What if I just want a s'more?
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Utilize when they really mean use. They just use the word utilize to try to sound smarter, but they don't know the difference. :flowerforyou:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I am astounded by the number of people who are bothered by the word "moist"... and I apologize to anyone I've offended with the word "astounded".
  • biddy81
    Options
    I've never heard "utilize" used in a way that isn't correct... I'm sure it happens, but I'm curious about what context it is put into.
  • mcdebbie
    mcdebbie Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    "How's come" when used for "why". How's come you didn't go to the gym today? Drives me nuts.

Tasty

I love Peeps though! And never thought of roasting them like a marshmellow. (talking about the yellow bunny things, not the annoying peeps here in the office. :smile: )
  • biddy81
    Options
    I am astounded by the number of people who are bothered by the word "moist"... and I apologize to anyone I've offended with the word "astounded".

The number of times I've seen people complain about "moist" just makes me want to post "moist moist moist moist moist," which would probably not be well-received. And then it reminds me of the Calivin & Hobbes where they are painting and wearing smocks and Hobbes comments that he likes the word smock. He starts just saying, "Smock smock smock smock..." and Calvin yells at him and it's funny.
    Hmm... pardon my stream of consciousness. I got up too early today.
  • biddy81
    Options
    "How's come" when used for "why". How's come you didn't go to the gym today? Drives me nuts.

Tasty

I love Peeps though! And never thought of roasting them like a marshmellow. (talking about the yellow bunny things, not the annoying peeps here in the office. :smile: )

I would probably like Peeps (sugary snacks) on a s'more (I have s'mores on the brain today), but by themselves they're just too sweet.
    Roasting an annoying office peep would probably be gruesome and smell bad.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    @Crochetluvr - I totally misread your name and cracked up, then realized my mistake and became embarrassed...

I guess I better not ask what you thought it was. :laugh:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Another one I hate is anytime people add an "m" to something to make it masculine... like murse, meggings, mangina... well that was from Step Brothers, but you catch my drift. :)

My b/f says he has ''moobs''. :grumble:
  • aimelee
    aimelee Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    robust.
    prolly.
    succulent.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Shakeology- there is one pusher of Shakeology on my facebook that has made me hate the word

"Cow's milk is for baby cows" that never ends well
  • biddy81
    Options
    @Crochetluvr - I totally misread your name and cracked up, then realized my mistake and became embarrassed...

I guess I better not ask what you thought it was. :laugh:

I imagine you CAN guess, but I shall say no more.
  • Compudad
    Compudad Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Organic
    Probiotic
    Free-range
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    They are phrases rather than a word, but "1 lb = 1 lb" and "eat more to lose more"

I'm also not particularly fond of "journey" or "lifestyle change"

Edit: also when people say "carbs" when they mean "grains".
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    A pound of fat weighs more than a pound of muscle.

No dumbass, they both weigh a freaking pound.  Muscle is more DENSE and therefore takes up less SPACE.