Words that make you cringe!

Options

Replies

• nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    The saying "A pound of fat equals a pound of muscle, you dumba**"

I hate when people say muscle weighs more than fat. NO IT DOESN'T. it is simply more dense and weighs more per the same unit of volume
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The saying "A pound of fat equals a pound of muscle, you dumba**"

I hate when people say muscle weighs more than fat. NO IT DOESN'T. it is simply more dense and weighs more per the same unit of volume

So ... it's doesn't weigh more, except for when it does?? :huh:
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    When someone makes a huge change in their life and says that they have made a 360 degree turn around when they really mean a 180 degree turn around. 360 degrees would mean they hadn't done anything.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    "slow and steady wins the race"

SUPERfood

"cheat day"
  • biddy81
    biddy81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    When someone makes a huge change in their life and says that they have made a 360 degree turn around when they really mean a 180 degree turn around. 360 degrees would mean they hadn't done anything.

It could make you dizzy, if you turned fast enough...
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Reckon

"I reckon it's just past that building'

Aks

"I don't know but i will aks them"

Birfday

....*Sigh*
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I never say muscle weighs more than fat but when people say that I know what they mean. They mean that muscle, per unit of volume, weighs more than fat so I just let it go. It doesn't bother me. What DOES bother me is people who go on for three freakin' pages CORRECTING them!
  • Tysonlovesweights
    Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This isn't weight related ... but...

Irregardless ... it's not a word ... and you've completly changed the meaning of what you were trying to say ... yeesh!!! :mad:

I am guilty of this one from time to time, but use it more as a refutation of a point someone else made by saying regardless!
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I never say muscle weighs more than fat but when people say that I know what they mean. They mean that muscle, per unit of volume, weighs more than fat so I just let it go. It doesn't bother me. What DOES bother me is people who go on for three freakin' pages CORRECTING them!

It's funny -- because with a little math and physics I can prove that 1 pound of muscle does NOT equal 1 pound of fat.

Ah math and science...making heads explode since 1969!
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Moist.

I don't know why, I just cringe everytime this word is used in a sentence.
  • Penelope2738
    Penelope2738 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    nostril

their/there/they're used incorrectly

preggers

irregardless

It is what it is
    "irregardless" haven't heard that yet! I bug out over the words "liberry" and "supposably". Also getting emails from my BOSS that misuse "loose"/lose. ugh.
  • Penelope2738
    Penelope2738 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am astounded by the number of people who are bothered by the word "moist"... and I apologize to anyone I've offended with the word "astounded".

The number of times I've seen people complain about "moist" just makes me want to post "moist moist moist moist moist," which would probably not be well-received. And then it reminds me of the Calivin & Hobbes where they are painting and wearing smocks and Hobbes comments that he likes the word smock. He starts just saying, "Smock smock smock smock..." and Calvin yells at him and it's funny.
    Hmm... pardon my stream of consciousness. I got up too early today.
    This made me laugh out loud, I love Calvin and Hobbes, and especially THIS OARTICULAR ONE, I AM GOING TO USE SMOCK FROM NOW ON, THANKS FOR rEMINDING ME! sorry for caps, too lazy to edit
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    There are so very, very many, and I suspect if I opened up my newsfeed to a few more people, I would get a plethora of results.

Any program that ends in -ology or -ivity or anything like that.
    Text speak in any form.
    Deliberately misuse/ mispronunciation of words.
    Cute- sounding reductions for random words.
    Pretty much any slanderous nick-name for someone with whom you disagree.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    bay (instead of babe or baby)
    broham
    adorbs

I HATE adorbs... and all of the other "cutesy" shortcuts.
  • SocialRopes
    SocialRopes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    most would disagree, but i can't stand being called a beast.
    beast, beast-mode, beast-like...
    not for me.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Nom nom nom...
  • Hjbaker
    Hjbaker Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I find it frustrating when people say hypo instead of hyper when commenting on someone's behavior.
    Aks = Ask
    Free= three
    ew ew ew and missus/Mrs ... hate that. :explode:

I have a friend who makes an effort to incorrectly spell everything in a way that makes it drag out, so pretty much anything that she says e.g:
    Phuleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease, Cuhuddlees etc, drives me mad! ... oh and Squisheeeeee or pureeeeetty
    (may I just add that she is studying English at Uni) :huh:

Thanks for the laughs everyone.
  • _ting_
    _ting_ Posts: 45
    Options
    When ppl say "boom" I cringe & duck
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    What's for dinner?
  • biddy81
    biddy81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am astounded by the number of people who are bothered by the word "moist"... and I apologize to anyone I've offended with the word "astounded".

The number of times I've seen people complain about "moist" just makes me want to post "moist moist moist moist moist," which would probably not be well-received. And then it reminds me of the Calivin & Hobbes where they are painting and wearing smocks and Hobbes comments that he likes the word smock. He starts just saying, "Smock smock smock smock..." and Calvin yells at him and it's funny.
    Hmm... pardon my stream of consciousness. I got up too early today.
    This made me laugh out loud, I love Calvin and Hobbes, and especially THIS OARTICULAR ONE, I AM GOING TO USE SMOCK FROM NOW ON, THANKS FOR rEMINDING ME! sorry for caps, too lazy to edit

HAHAHAAHA I forgive the excessive caps. Smock smock smock...