Keep the Clothes or Ditch the Clothes?

Options
Good Morning MFP! I am trying to figure out what to do. I am starting to notice a HUGE difference in the clothes that I have in my closet. I am starting to buy smaller sizes in a few things, but as I out grow my clothes I am torn by do I keep them or do I get rid of them? What have others done?

I asked my cousin this very question on our run last night, and her answer was "Be Proud and GET RID of THEM!"
It makes me nervous but then again I want the success of not thinking backwards. Please Help! What do you think?

Replies

• LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    As soon as they were no use I recycled them (assuming they were in good condition) or I binned them.

No fall back position for me...
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I loved it when my old clothes didn't fit any more!! All the expensive things went on Ebay (put the money towards new clothes!!) and anything else went to charity.

DO NOT hold on to old clothes unless you want to go back to that size...!! :happy: :happy:
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm coming into the same boat, Tshirts are too baggy and jeans are on their way, would be interesting to hear what others think, was planning on putting them in a box and put them away in a cupboard or something?
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    give them to goodwill or charity.
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    ^Same as above, I donated all of mine as soon as they were too big on me. I'll never wear them again. BUT- keep one pair! At your biggest size. You'll want it when you reach goal :)
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them - it's too easy if you get off track to just slip back into that looser pair of jeans to be comfortable. Keeping them is just a way of saying you might need them again - don't give yourself permission to go backwards.

If you have a rough week and gain a couple of pounds, that tight pair of jeans with no alternative will help get you back on track and those pounds will come right off!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight before, but this time really feels different. So different that for the first time, I got rid of everything that was too big. I don't want it to be easy to go back there. I did keep one pair of my largest pants to remind myself of who I used to be.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've kept the jeans from my largest. I am appalling at doing the laundry. I also quite like to walk around the house and pretend I'm a rude boi with my knickers on show. If you can get humour from the larger clothes, keep 'em! If not, er, closet space!!!
  • KrisNM
    KrisNM Posts: 17
    Options
    I saw on Pinterest that a woman kept her largest size, her size when she lost half of her weight she planned on losing, and her size at her goal weight. She laid the smallest on top so she could see how far she had come. Other than that, get rid of your bigger sizes. I did.
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yes, I kept 1 skirt & 1 pair of trousers - I try them on every so often to remind myself how I used to be. They both drop to the floor if I let go now... ;) It's a good feeling.
  • OMG_Twinkies
    OMG_Twinkies Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to keep them and provide yourself a safety net to fall backwards? Do you plan on being able to fit into them again? Let go of that part of your life and give them away so you can move forward completely. It's just as much symbolic as it is pragmatic.
  • ForeverAngel2009
    Options
    Here is what you do:

Keep two outfits in your original clothes size. One dress and one casual outfit. This will serve two purposes. ONE: It will be a visual reminder of where you have come from and what you are moving away from, and TWO: it is always a good idea to have an emergency outfit on hand.

Take the rest of the clothes that you no longer want to a re-sale shop.

Hope this helps.

:smile:
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them! It's extra motivating to maintain all your hard work if you don't have those bigger sizes to slip back into!
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i live in africa i always give them to my house help even old baby clothes ect as even if they dont fit her she knows people in need who can use them. this countrys really not a wastful country like the uk is donate them to charity ect plz dont just throw them in the bin x
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    A mix of both. I donated/clothes swapped almost all of them. I do wish I kept one pair of 22s just for comparison.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing. I have piles of clothes that don't fit in my home office right now. I'm going to be letting my sister go through the piles to see what fits her but then not sure what to do with the rest. I would love to give them away but part of me is scared that this time next year I would need them again and then have to buy all new clothes - again. I think whatever she doesn't take I will box up and put in the basement and then if a year from now I still don't need them they will get donated.
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    Get rid of them,
    Keep one Large clothes set to remind you, but get rid of the rest.
    If your clothes fit right it is a wake up call if they get tight.
    If you still have larger clothes you will just pull them out.
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I donated all of mine as soon as they were too big on me. I'll never wear them again. BUT- keep one pair! At your biggest size. You'll want it when you reach goal :)

This. You don't want to make it easy in any way for you to go back to where you were.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I gave them all away! Maybe i should have saved one pair of pants or something...but I will never ever ever be that size again!