Keep the Clothes or Ditch the Clothes?

Options

Replies

• EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Get rid.

Otherwise you are mentally preparing to need them again.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them. Keeping them is like saying you're planning to gain it back.

Donate what you can...throw out what isn't donation worthy, and if you have really awesome things that you can give to friends...do that, but get rid of the things that are too big. You will not need them again!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine, never to go back to that size again!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Get rid of everything but 2 pair of TOM pants.

Being scared to get rid of them says you do not have faith in yourself. BELIEVE IN YOU!
  • SaLandrum
    SaLandrum Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am going to donate all my clothes to a Woman's Shelter as I start replacing them ..... that way they go to some good use.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Ditch em girl and never go back! Donate, sell or pass along to your friends. You'll feel so good about it. Congratulations again - you look amazing!
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    i have 4 garbage bags bagged up so far! I have NO intent on getting back in those bad boys! but I did keep one pair of my pants just for after pics! I wanna fit my daughter in them w/ me when I reach my goal weight! lol :wink:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I've given all mine away so far. I never want to go back there I do have one pair of pants though and found some shirts in my closet that now need to go but yeah get rid of them
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them,
    Keep one Large clothes set to remind you, but get rid of the rest.
    If your clothes fit right it is a wake up call if they get tight.
    If you still have larger clothes you will just pull them out.

+1

I kept one large pair of pants for that classic "before/after" pic and of course I have my wedding dress but even that may go to Goodwill eventually. Everything else has either gone to Goodwill or in the trash. If your clothes are in good enough shape, you could consider bringing them to a consignment shop or selling on Ebay.
  • TheRightWeigh
    TheRightWeigh Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I never really thought about this...Thanks for posting OP.

I'm just now starting to feel quite a bit of extra room in my clothes. My belt right now goes around me about one and one third times. I'm keeping the darn belt out of frugality and it's not THAT much of a difference. I've decided as I get completely out of certain sizes I will be getting rid of them. I want zero fall back room. The only way i'll keep any of my fat clothes will be if i get them taken in and tailored to fit my new size. If i have anything I'm THAT attached to.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping one pair of "fat pants" to remind myself how far I've come. :-)
  • luckyinlove2
    luckyinlove2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, interesting discussion. My husband and I are both on MFP and being successful at dropping weight and clothing sizes. I'm giving/selling/donating my bigger clothes as I shrink out of them. He's boxing his up and storing them. I feel it's a safety fallback to keep the bigger clothes, but he lost weight before (on diet supplements) and gained it back plus some. This happened over 10 years of no diet supplements for him, and he had gotten rid of the bigger clothes. This time, it's changes in eating and activity, no magic pills. I say there's no going back!!!
  • Yammii
    Yammii Posts: 15
    Options
    Get rid of it all... I got rid of everything that fits me big - made new for the new, smaller wardrobe.. :)
  • mindygood
    mindygood Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Sell them, donate them or do what I did.. give them to my friends which made me feel good for many reasons. If you keep them you will be more tempted to go back to them....I did keep a pair of pants just so i could see where I had been....
  • bdburch
    bdburch Posts: 127
    Options
    If possible, why not keep and alter to a smaller size? If you have some cute clothes and you spent a lot of money on them it would be a waste to you to give or throw them away.
  • jonilynn70
    jonilynn70 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I got rid of mine which forced me to stay on track because I don't have the $$ to shop. Difficult enough to buy the new stuff for the new size... I sure don't want to spend money I don't have on clothes in a bigger size again :) DONATE, DONATE, DONATE
    Or alter what you can alter such as waist's for work pants, etc.
  • AmazingTech
    Options
    if I get the size I want then im going to chuck it all out, I haven't bought myself clothes for ages anyway
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My too-big, knit clothes (t-shirts, yoga pants, hoodies, etc.) go into our travel trailer for camping. My good jeans go into a box. The rest of my too-big clothes go to my work's semi-annual clothing swap: when the ladies get together for wine, food, and we dig through each other's castoff clothing to find new treasures.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Donate them and sell all the expensive clothes on eBay
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I would purchase new "basics" (jeans, black pants, work shirts,etc.) but if you have a favorite blouse/pant from your bigger size that you LOVE then take them to a seamstress and see if she can alter these for not a lot of $$... otherwise buy new!