Definition of supportive

Options
I see many people ask for supportive friends on here. I'm curious about something. When a person asks for support, they are generally looking (in my opinion) for one of the two following types of people:

Type A - very encouraging, always focuses on the positive, tells you good try when you didn't quite make your goal and always tries to leave you feeling better about yourself

Type B - claims to be very honest, even if he/she comes off a little mean from time to time, focuses on the positive but points out the negative, holds you accountable when you miss your goals and is more concerned about results than feelings

Which of these people appeals to you more?

Replies

• KML617
    KML617 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I like a little bit of both! I want my friends to be supportive when I do good, but give me the honest truth when I'm in need. More than anything I like people who give good advice when I'm asking for help in a certain department.

And... best of all a friend needs to be able to make me laugh... we all need to smile through this process.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Most definitely B. I have no use for smoke blowing. If I don't do what I'm supposed to do, I want someone to kick me in the *kitten*.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I want Type B supportive friends, with just a bit of Type A thrown in, to celebrate with me when I achieve my goal or do something really awesome. But don't preach to me, just share your personal experience and let me take it from there.

Oh, and don't ever tell me "you can't" or "you won't" because, come hell or high water, I will!
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I like A but I need B so I have both!!
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I want Type A's to understand that Type B's are being supportive in their own way (and vise versa)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,125 Member
    Options
    I don't define Support as agreeing with my every neuroses.

I do define Support as answering questions honestly.

A lot of the members here define support as, "agree with everything I do, and tell me how beautiful I am."

There are a lot of Princesses here. :ohwell:
  • BeautifulHez
    BeautifulHez Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Type A here. I have no use for negative energy. Add me!
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Pollyanna has been my friend from time to time. I cut that ***** fast. She always says "great defriend!!!1! <3<3<3"
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I handle type B all by myself. I need type A's around to remind me to celebrate the little things and quit beating myself up.

Just wanted to add that I don't see type A as necessarily being less honest than the type B, but I suppose it depends on the person and what they are supporting. Reminding someone like me to remember & celebrate the small achievements is not being dishonest. I am already berating myself for only losing .4 lbs, it's my type a friends that remind me that losing .4 IS an achievement.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Type C.

Actually responds occasionally when I ask questions or post something. Sometimes has useful information, but mainly is just "there".
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I found that when people say "supportive" on here, they just want someone who agrees with them no matter what. Everyone else is a bully.
    A kick in the butt or a sarcastic remark is often better support than saying "yeah go ahead and live on water for 5 days". I wish people would see it.
  • ShannonS2714
    ShannonS2714 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Definitely B....but as long as they are involved with you. I don't want someone that is just a FL place holder. I want someone that interacts, gives opinions, answers questions, and gives some pick me ups when needed!

But, I want HONESTY....not someone that's just going to say what I want to hear....there's no room for that in this journey.
  • PaigeAnderson100
    PaigeAnderson100 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I can't say that I prefer one over the other. I absolutely love when people are overly nice, push me to do my best and congratulate me with any achievements but, than I do like a bigger push, someone who will hold me accountable and someone who is going to be honest with me and let me know if I have screwed up.

I really like my family to be Type B just because, I expect full honesty from family since- that's just the way it should be. I expect them to want me to succeed and show me that they care when I am falling off the wagon.

I really like friends or "strangers" to be Type A just because, I enjoy the recognition and congratulatory compliments that I get from those who I am not the closest to. It's also important for me to pat myself on the back once in a while and not always be Type B-ing it.

Thanks for posting this. It's crazy to see how different all of our opinions are.
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I like a little bit of both! I want my friends to be supportive when I do good, but give me the honest truth when I'm in need. More than anything I like people who give good advice when I'm asking for help in a certain department.

And... best of all a friend needs to be able to make me laugh... we all need to smile through this process.

^^This!!!
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

Type B - claims to be very honest, even if he/she comes off a little mean from time to time, focuses on the positive but points out the negative, holds you accountable when you miss your goals and is more concerned about results than feelings

If you need more friends like this, send me a request.
  • Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door
    Sweet_Gurl_Next_Door Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    this!
    Type A here. I have no use for negative energy. Add me!
  • RyanJK85
    RyanJK85 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I like a little of both...Need them people who will kick you in the *kitten* when needed, but also the people who say nice try, get to it tomorrow....B is the best for motivation though because you just know what you are getting when you fail.
  • Indyimp
    Indyimp Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Exactly this ^^^
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I like a little of both, most of my friends are more Type A and I love them all! I hope that if I was ever really slacking or wanted to do something stupid, my friends would be honest with me.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I need both! I need more friends that are a type B I think. if thats you add me.