Best way to burn 400 calories?

Options
I have decided that my new daily calorie burn goal will be 400. I know that calorie burn is dependent on many factors including body mass and exertion, so I understand that I will not get exactly the same results. That being said, I would love if you would tell me your favorite way to burn 400 calories and how long it takes. Thanks so much!

Replies

• fitchic_76
    fitchic_76 Posts: 8
    Options
    I split it up into 2 workouts, but I simply walk on the treadmill at a very brisk pace for 2.5 miles, take a break, then do it again for a total of 5 miles.
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I have a crazy heart rate, but I can do that in the 30 Day Shred, which is roughly 26 min. long.
  • queensara2478
    Options
    I would suggest finding something that you enjoy doing for your excersise. I decided last year to start running, I would walk for 2minutes and then run for 2 and repeat for half an hour. Interval training is a great way to burn lots of calories. You can do the walk/run or one of the Turbo Jams workouts. Good luck!
  • migallen
    migallen Posts: 13
    Options
    I will work on the treadmill with an incline set at 10.0 and the speed at 3.8 for 45 minutes. You will easily burn 400 calories with those settings.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I would say running. I can run 3ish miles (with 5 minute warm-up & 5 minute cool-down) in 40 minutes and burn 400-450 calories. I'm right in the middle of my healthy range...so it really depends on your exertion and fitness levels.
  • scunnin8
    scunnin8 Posts: 9
    Options
    I run a mile and a half and than walk for 10 minutes at a 4.0 pace. Than I hop on the elyptical for about 20 minutes. I end up burning close to 550 calories. Im sure if you just ran a mile and walked at a 2.5 pace for 10 minutes and did 10-15 minutes on a elyptical or stationary bike, you would burn close to 400 cal
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I do a 5 minute warm up walk 25 minute jog and 5 minute cool down...15 minutes on the bike...about 450 calories. However I am heavier then you are you would have to work harder. Try adding an incline to bump up your heart rate. I also hear spinning burns amazing calories!
  • wendyjb
    wendyjb Posts: 2
    Options
    Jump rope 400 times!!!:happy:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I can easily burn 400 calories in 35-40 minutes on the treadmill... incline at 1, resistance at 2 with one of those mountainous terrain looking courses. This is what a girl who works at my gym suggested for me as far as good cardio to burn fat all over my body.

But... on a strength day, I can usually burn 200-300 calories on a 30 minutes walk, plus 44 from jumping rope, about 50-60 for another routine I do, and then about 100 calories just walking around during the day.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I mowed my lawn. It is hilly, my hubby hasn't done it at all this year, and my mower sux. I think I burned 600 in an hour! Not really "fun" but it gets the blood pumping and is is not wasted time (which I find excercise to be even tho it is a neccessity).
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is my best friend. I can burn off 400 calories in about 30 minutes on Level 7 hills. My usual workout is 50 minutes long tho and I burn 550-600 calories each time. I'm also going off the calorie counter on the elliptical which uses my weight as an input. It might be higher with a heart rate monitor but I haven't splurged for one yet.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The elliptical machine. Put it on random so you get the hills and valleys. Push yourself as hard as you can for one minute every ten minutes on the elliptical. I do this fairly regularly and I burn about 600 calories in 45 minutes (including cool down and warm up).
  • AshEng
    AshEng Posts: 3
    Options
    I swear by Tae Bo. With the little one pound weights they include in the package I burn about 604 calories for 30 minutes of exercise. I love Tae Bo and it's the only thing that works for me. Plus, it's fun.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I would suggest finding something that you enjoy doing for your excersise. I decided last year to start running, I would walk for 2minutes and then run for 2 and repeat for half an hour. Interval training is a great way to burn lots of calories. You can do the walk/run or one of the Turbo Jams workouts. Good luck!

This is exactly what I did! I started January of this year! and i run like crazy now! its the only work out i do that burns more than 300 calories! Good luck to you! hope you catch the running bug too! its the best disease there is!
    :bigsmile:
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! You have given me tons of ideas.
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! You have given me tons of ideas.
  • Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Group exercise classes--turbokickboxing and indoor cycle are my current favorites and both will probably have you burning more than 400 calories. At my gym, classes are 45 minutes long, and I usually log close to 500 calories burned per class.
  • maryann73
    maryann73 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great too! Lots of fun and burns lots of calories.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing!!! I burn about 830 calories in a 55 min class, and I'm learning self defence at the same time :wink:
  • davemc1971
    davemc1971 Posts: 6
    Options
    I generally burn about 750-800 calories running 4 miles outside. I use a heart rate monitor calibrated to my age and weight. That tends to be more accurate than using the calorie counters on the cardio machines. I agree with the earlier post, find something you enjoy doing and do it. Exercise should not be a chore.