vegemite

Options
13»

Replies

• thejubster1
    thejubster1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Love vegemite - but since it now belongs to a US company, I have moved on to Mighty Mite - made by a good old local Aussie company (Three 3's).. Its definitely not the same in taste and texture, but I am going to stick it out and try to give the little guys a chance..

As for toast/ sandwiches/ rice cakes ideas-
    * vegemite & cheese (maybe added shredded iceberg lettuce)
    * vegemite & sliced tomato (who needs salt???)

anywhere you need a salty/ savoury flavour added to a dish...
    * soups,
    * casseroles.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Tried it when I was backpacking in Australia and found it to be the most disgusting thing I had ever tasted. Vegemite to them is what peanut butter is to Canadians and Americans. You pretty much have to be raised on it from infancy to aquire the taste. Can't hurt to try... never know you might actually like it. Let us know.

He will be here APril 22nd.
  • JessicaRobin67
    Options
    Hopefully your friend will bring Vegemite not Marmite - Marmite is from UK, not from Aus.

Vegemite is great on buttered toast or muffins (and when we say spread it thinly, we mean REALLY thinly), also yummy on fresh white bread with butter or in a cheese and vegemite sandwich. Think of it as something like super-hot chilli sauce - you don't eat it by the spoonful, you just add a little for flavour.

I asked him to bring Vegemite...but I thought he said Marmite but I could be wrong... I really hope he doesn't forget because I really would like to try it..and, from all these posts, I will use it SPARINGLY.
  • JessicaRobin67
    Options
    THank you all for your responses... I was hoping it had vitamins in it. I like trying new foods... esp. from other countries.
  • mrk1185
    mrk1185 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have two massive pots of marmite in my kitchen drawer, one "aged" and one "gold" (literally speckled with gold, for the olympics. That is what happens when you send your bf out with a shopping list). I love the stuff, but straight from the jar I only eat it on toast, and I am trying to keep that out of my diet. How do I ever get through these jars?

Anyone got ideas for eating marmite that don't involve bread?

I found a good recipe for a marmite bloody mary, if you're on a "liquid" diet ;)

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126307676
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    It is the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted in my life!! :sick: :sick:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    I am in Australia - is so interesting reading this thread from people not used to vegemite.

Is not sweet and nobody would eat it by the spoonful :laugh:

Savoury, quite strong and quite salty - spread it VERY thinly on toast, crumpets, muffins etc, MUCH more thinly than peanut paste - nice in sandwiches with cheese as well.

Possibly is an acquired taste - I dont know, have eaten it since I was a little child so I guess I acquired the taste young :bigsmile:
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You don't know what your missing, however if you have not grown up on the stuff most can only handle a smidgen on their toast or whatever.

vegemite has B vitamins, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin and folic acid oh and lots of sodium
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'd rather lick a kangaroos *kitten*
    Don't do it

this.
    i dated an australian chick. she was so good in bed, but the vegemite. ugh. she had to go.
    it's salty and thick and stinky and looks like poo.
  • SuzyAndrew
    SuzyAndrew Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Vegemite is delicious! I have it nearly every day on toast. I like it thicker than most, but nowhere near as thick as nutella or jam.

There's nothing like a vegemite and cheese toastie...yum!
  • deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    LOVE it, any aussie kid will tell you though, foreigners don't eat it right!! You have to spread it sparingly on buttered toast, it's :wink: Give it a go, you might be surprised..
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Reading the ingredients list from my jar:

Concentrated yeast extract
    Yeast extract (from yeast grown on barley)
    Salt, mineral salt (508), MALT EXTRACT (FROM BARLEY)
    Color (150C), flavours,niacin, thiamine, riboflavin, folate

Allergen statement, contains barley
    suitable for vegetarians

It's sugar free, unlike marmite and promite
  • JessicaRobin67
    Options
    We're happy little Vegemites
    As bright as bright can be.
    We all enjoy our Vegemite
    For breakfast, lunch and tea.
    Our Mummies say we're growing stronger every single week
    Because we love our Vegemite.
    We all adore our Vegemite.
    IT PUTS A ROSE IN EVERY CHEEK!
    We're growing stronger every week.

That is why I have rosy cheeks :laugh:
    Cute poem... :-)

Definitely an acquired taste. My Dad is American, he still does not know how to put it on a sandwich or toast. As kids we hated him making us vegemite sandwiches or toast because he would SLATHER it on - that's no how you do it! It's awesome on toast, crumpets, saladas or fresh bread. YUM
  • Msdirection
    Msdirection Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have it every day on my lunch - LOVE IT! The best advice I can give is don't use too much to begin with and always have it with margarine or butter until you get used to it. I have heaps now and don't use butter, but I'm a born and bred Aussie - eaten it all my life - so it might take some getting used to :) Enjoy!