Would you go to a school reunion in my shoes!?

Options

Replies

• Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    This is just for fun, don't worry, no matter what you say I won't be crying into my pot noodle. There's a school reunion in June. At the moment I'm divorced, unemployed and I live at home with my parents. Not a sniff of a new man either. I'm not unhappy though. I'm fairly content, but, I 'd be nuts to go wouldn't I? I am job-hunting and house-hunting but that doesn't sound quite the same as having a job and having a house! It won't cut ice. Mixed school if that makes any difference. I think I'm less afraid of the men judging me.

you are content right?

you are looking for things to improve upon the areas that need improvement?

I don't really know very many people that didn't come out of a divorce with a need to start over in some regard...

I would just go and be happy and meet people I wanted to see....If they asked I would say I'm looking for a job and a house...and then do that little shrug and say "you know a divorce changes everything"

pretty much everyone will nod their head and agree....

you're happy...why not?

granted I wouldn't go to my HS reunion...i have no need to see those people....

however my alumni meetup for University I would so be there...no matter what my personal life was like...i miss those people.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m04jh887ir1qeg47lo1_500.jpg
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    You know what would be really awesome? Go, show up confidently, tell anyone who asks the truth. Be open. Own your reality. If you are OK with it, and can get over the fear of being judged, I think showing up and being completely open and who you are will be life affirming.

And frankly, you NEVER know, you could get a connection for a great job, spark a romance, or just have an amazingly good night!
    If nothing else, with a little music, it'd make a great John Hughes film.
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go to one....

Why? Why go toh a room full of people you had no conection with and whom play no part in my life.......

Btw......I hated school. :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you want to see these people, go. I'm not sure why people view reunions as merely an opportunity to impress people. I only talked to me old friends anyway.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    This is just for fun, don't worry, no matter what you say I won't be crying into my pot noodle. There's a school reunion in June. At the moment I'm divorced, unemployed and I live at home with my parents. Not a sniff of a new man either. I'm not unhappy though. I'm fairly content, but, I 'd be nuts to go wouldn't I? I am job-hunting and house-hunting but that doesn't sound quite the same as having a job and having a house! It won't cut ice. Mixed school if that makes any difference. I think I'm less afraid of the men judging me.

I've never even been invited. You're doing pretty good, I'd say.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    You know what would be really awesome? Go, show up confidently, tell anyone who asks the truth. Be open. Own your reality. If you are OK with it, and can get over the fear of being judged, I think showing up and being completely open and who you are will be life affirming.

And frankly, you NEVER know, you could get a connection for a great job, spark a romance, or just have an amazingly good night!

This! I used to blow off my reunions after the first one, then I went to my 20th and had a blast, so I went to my 25th, too.
  • MaggiePuccini
    MaggiePuccini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Tell them you invented Post-its. They'll totally believe you.

ha ha! i used that VERY JOKE at the ten year reunion! I thought it was hilarious. I find myself quite amusing after a drink. I have to watch that.

I'm laughing here at 'yeh, i'm freeeeeeeeeelannnnnnnnce, top up!?"
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Go. You'll never know what fun you could have had. And, if it does indeed get too unbearable, you can always slip out the back door. :drinker:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    My reunion is in June too. And like you, my life isn't where I want it to be AT ALL. I'm trying to drop 20 pounds by June, the rest of my life I won't be talking about much. LOL
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Huh.
    To me, it sounds like either by choice, circumstance, or both, you've had to be pretty brave. Why stop now? Make it your default setting!
    Make history. Consider going with no agenda other than dancing.
  • ShannonS2714
    ShannonS2714 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    As long as you're hot, you're golden.

This.
  • buckmeatball
    buckmeatball Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There's no shame in being unemployed or living with your parents at your(our) age unless you accept it and don't try to better the situation. You don't so go and have a great time. What better way to network than with a room full of successful peers.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options

This right here! aaaaaand if you really do not want to go.. Don't! I wanted to go to my best good friends wedding instead of to a smelly reunion. So that is what I did!.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting microcosm event. If you have any interest at all in going, I'd say go and be honest. Nothing says you have to stay, but you might have more fun than you think. I honestly was miserable in high school, but had quite alot of fun at the reunion.
  • starfinale
    starfinale Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go!
  • fara180
    fara180 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    go. seriously.

don't let anyone's opinion drag you down. if you're happy, *kitten* what they have to say. i'd walk in there with my unemployed, single head held high and just wait for someone to ask me about my life...then again, i'm confrontational.

be confident. be yourself. no one ever 'really' has their *kitten* together. and hey, if you don't like any of them anymore..this is a perfect opportunity to make up some grand story about how your life went and leave them scratching their heads and being jealous of you.... i plan on telling my old high school colleagues that i moved to washington and stripped for obama on the regular. cheers!
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    If you're happy, what else do you need? I say GO!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I didnt enjoy HS and most of the people, so I never plan to go.
  • melbournemummy79
    Options
    haha I hated school and most of the people were a bunch of uppity moles.
    Needless to say I didnt go to my reunion.

That being said if you do go I wouldnt be forthcoming with a whole bunch of personal information. If they are not friends outside of this reunion its really none if their business.