How to you manage CRAVINGS?

Options
Evenings are my weakness. I can be a rockstar role model until about 7 and then I can lose it. How do you manage cravings and the urge to eat bad stuff when it gets late in the evening??????

Any help or suggestions are welcome!

Replies

• 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'd love eating ideas or distraction ideas! Anything would help!
  • faithcraft
    Options
    I plan an evening snack.. generally greek yogurt...then I get as far as possible from any food... I watch very little tv because commercials would have me heading to the kitchen... I read.. pininterest...exercise is always a possibility although I like to do that earlier in the day. My worse snacking time is 3 pm. I generally have almonds then.. they haven't been as satisfying lately so I need to switch it up. Good luck to you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    First thing is not to have any junk food in the house.

Honestly what worked for me is protein shakes. I had one every day before lunch for the first 2 months pretty much, and it gave me that chocolate taste that I craved... I rarely have them now (I have protein bars instead) but I haven't had a craving since. Sometimes I'll have a piece of chocolate or something, but it's not to satisfy a craving really, more because I have calories left, I'm not very hungry, and I feel like eating something yummy.
  • savagenoble
    Options
    Maybe this isn't the best solution, but if I really want to eat something in particular I make sure to "earn" the snack before I eat it. I have a 20 minute yoga DVD that burns about 60 calories. I do the appropriate amount of yoga to burn the snack off beforehand, and then I let myself eat it! If I'm too tired to do the exercise, then I figure I don't really want the snack enough. I guess it doesn't actually get rid of the craving, and I don't manage to resist it in the end either, but at least it neutralizes the extra calories I'm taking in.
  • lauraelliott1956
    Options
    Agree, no junk food in the house. Munch out on 0 calorie foods, chew sugarless gum, etc.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    I agree with what savagenoble suggests, along with what some others have said. Find some sort of snack that has lots of protein, like greek yogurt or a peanut butter sandwich on some real wheat bread or something. And work out a bit so that you have the calories to support it, and plan on having that at night.

It's all about listening to your body. Find out when you're hungry normally and plan on eating at those times. :)
  • carriej82
    carriej82 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    sometimes I just brush my teeth .... then I don't want to eat anything because it will taste bad.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    No junk food in the house helps.. I just haven't given myself anything that gives me cravings.. as soon as I cut out the crap in my daily eating, the sooner I was able to not crave sweets, chips, etc,.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Great stuff! Thanks! (Keep the ideas coming...)
  • kczarnec
    kczarnec Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Distractions. . . .hot bath, walk, etc. Sometimes if I'm craving something really sweet, I'll have a piece of fruit first, in hopes it'll take the edge off of wanting that candy bar or whatever and usually it works-or makes a dent in the amount of indulgence I would've had otherwise.
  • nnjudge05
    nnjudge05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I drink Shakeology. It truly helps take away my cravings all throughout the day. Even though I drink it earlier in the day, I find that I have less of a desire for sweet stuff late at night. Let me tell you...anything sweet is a weakness of mine. I just can't help myself! LOL. Shakeology is somewhat like a protein shake, but so much more. When I don't drink it on a regular basis...I find myself searching my house for a late night indulgence.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    What works for me is having no junk in the house and also eating lots of fiber. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I plan to have it. But not now, next week. Than I plan the day to minimize the damage. Have a long run, really healthy other meals. . Thats if what I crave is bad, like a piece of Cake or a burger. Is it is something like cheese or chips, I can easily fit it in a regular day - a small portion of course.
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hibiscus tea. Curbs my cravings every time.
  • TesselCat
    TesselCat Posts: 74
    Options
    I generally just have something similar that won't make it worse/add too many calories. If I'm craving something salty, I'll have some (unsalted) nuts or sunflower seeds. If I crave something sweet, I'll have some fruit or a piece of dark chocolate.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If I'm feeling snacky, I generally have some popcorn. Without the butter (I get the flavour shaker ones), they're really not bad on calories... 3 cups is under 200 calories.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I don't have any foods in the house that tempt me. I don't even have bread in the house any more, because I'd be tempted to make toast with lots of butter! No crackers, chips, desserts, or candy.

I also make sure I have plenty of cut up vegetables to snack on, and I plan out my whole day ahead of time, so that I'm never left hungry without a plan.

The last helpful tip is that when I cut out sugar, wheat, processed foods, I found that I had no cravings, and no energy highs and lows.... I was nice and even all day. The foods that keep you "even" might be different than for me, though.

Sometimes, it's also just habit that gets us into different eating patterns. maybe you can schedule your evenings for a while so that you don't have quiet time when you're bored and food is calling your name from the fridge!
  • gowrirao81
    gowrirao81 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I make myself a cup of green/herb tea first ... before I can finish the beverage, I have usually talked myself out of eating what I can't afford (as in my daily allowance).
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I just have to add even though I agree that in the beginning you may have to rid the house of all trigger food but the question is are you going to avoid these foods the rest of your life or are you going to work on changing your relationship with food so that you eventually have control over the food and not let the food control you... I have spent the last 4 years overcoming my addictions to food and yes in the beginning I hauled in 2 - 32 gallon trash can and rid the house of ALL Foods that I just could not handle having around but over time I worked through those demons and reintroduced ALL Foods back into my life and by doing so I no longer have cravings because nothing is off limits, if it fits in my caloric intake then it fits into my lifestyle. I understand this may not work for everyone at this time but isn't that the place we all want to get too.... Just my 2 cents.......
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I grab a package of pop tarts,toast them, and them spread peanut
    Butter on top. Or I grab a pint of blue bunny ice cream.
    Always does the taste buds justice :)