5'7 Ladies (Large Frame) What are your Goal Weights?

Options
Hi everyone,
5'7 ladies (with a large / atheltic body frame) what are your goal weights? For my body I worked out that at 18% body fat my goal weight would be 81 Kg or (178 pounds) and at 12% body fat my weight would be 76 kg (167 pounds). Anyone else have this same issue? larger frame/muscle mass and therefore higher goal weight? I'm trying to work out what my goal weight should be. Technically those two numbers i've mentioned above would put me in the overweight BMI range.

Thanks
Em

Replies

• grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    For me, I know that when I weighed 160 (a long, looooooong time ago), I looked anorexic. 175 is when I start to look skinny. I'm 5'8" and built like a linebacker ... large frame, wide shoulders, zero hips and butt.

have you read this? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0 The calculators there might help you figure it out.
  • Kayla_292to165
    Kayla_292to165 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and my goal is 175 and then we'll see...but much smaller than that and I don't like the way look...
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about BMI.. I'm 5'6", 166lbs and 24% BF, goal is 160... more fit than I ever was at a "healthy" BMI. Once I hit 160, I will see how I look. I recommend you doing similarly, make a small goal of weight loss and evaluate as you meet your goals.
  • Melfleming1
    Options
    I was quite happy at 175. (size 8) This is my goal again.
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    145ish, but that's pretty arbitrary. I'm not particularly concerned with a number, but that's what I put in my MFP profile when it prompted me.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    My goal was to be 180 pounds and to be a size 10. Thankfully since I've been adding weight training I'm almost an 8 at 183 pounds. I've altered my goal to be a solid size 8, so my weight goal is 170-175lbs. My body has the jaws of life on these last 10-15 tho! Anything less I feel would make me look too skinny. I love having muscles :)
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My first big goal will be 70kg.. Once I hit that, I know I wont be happy, and I will keep going until I get the muscly, fit body I want :D
  • Strangegirlz
    Strangegirlz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Last time I saw a post like this there were people saying that they were 5ft 7 and 112lbs and apparently very fit and healthy. It really discouraged me. There is a massive weight range for what is healthy. It's not all about the scale(I have to keep telling myself this) don't compare your weight to others it's rarely helpful.
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would be over the moon at 160 but when I get closer to that number I will be doing calculations based on my lean body mass and BMI. I don't want to start losing muscle mass I have worked so hard to achieve by cutting too much or improperly.
  • Strangegirlz
    Strangegirlz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    5'7 ladies (with a large / atheltic body frame) what are your goal weights? For my body I worked out that at 18% body fat my goal weight would be 81 Kg or (178 pounds) and at 12% body fat my weight would be 76 kg (167 pounds). Anyone else have this same issue? larger frame/muscle mass and therefore higher goal weight? I'm trying to work out what my goal weight should be. Technically those two numbers i've mentioned above would put me in the overweight BMI range.

Thanks
    Em
    BMI is so misleading. Most of the really strong people I know with low body fat % have a weight that would place them in the overweight category
  • robinbarten
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and currently 174 lbs. I feel the best at 155-160, but am having a very hard time getting and staying there. I am a size 12-14 and don't see how I could ever fit in an 8 at this weight. When I weighed 145-150 I was a size 7-8.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and currently 174 lbs. I feel the best at 155-160, but am having a very hard time getting and staying there. I am a size 12-14 and don't see how I could ever fit in an 8 at this weight. When I weighed 145-150 I was a size 7-8.

It's very possible!! I'm 166lbs and size 6! Anything can be accomplished! Overall weight means very little.. muscle mass and measurements on the other hand :smile:
  • _SASX_
    _SASX_ Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I agree with Strangegirlz, BMI is misleading. It does not take into account muscle mass, bone density or body frame. I'm 5'6.5". I'm at 168 right now and when I get to 150 (which I did over the summer, due to surgery recovery) I looked really scarily skinny. Pick one thing to really focus on as your measurement. BF%, weight, dress size, inches at waist or when your hip bones stick out or when you have a flat belly....whatever it is, sitck with it and use it as your goal. the other things will happen on their own.

A lot of people get stuck on weight, but a pound of muscle is smaller than a pound of fat. I'd rather have the pound of muscle and weigh the same than be in a size larger jean.
  • mcguire_scott
    mcguire_scott Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Geez, Ladies.... What am I doing wrong !?!?!? I am 5'7" and weigh 162 lbs and am wearing a disgusting size 12 !! I would say I have a medium frame... I guess they call it a pear shape.. but I think pyramid might be closer.... At 162 I am definitely overweight :

Is this the muscle vs fat issue ?
  • tarafreeman353
    tarafreeman353 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i'm also a larger framed girl. 5'8 currently 205. i was going for 165 but that seems so low. 175 is what i am currently aiming for. what i don't understand is how to determine what size frame i have. my fingers overlap my wrist easily, but there is no way with these wide shoulders and thick hips I can be small framed
  • Melfleming1
    Options
    Last time I saw a post like this there were people saying that they were 5ft 7 and 112lbs and apparently very fit and healthy. It really discouraged me. There is a massive weight range for what is healthy. It's not all about the scale(I have to keep telling myself this) don't compare your weight to others it's rarely helpful.

^ this :)
  • haleyjester
    haleyjester Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Im 5'6" and I am currently 194, down 36 lbs from 230. I felt my best before I had my son a couple years ago. I weighed 150 but was still in a size 12. I have wide hips but boy did i feel great!
    So my goal is anywhere between 145-155
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6.5'', 118 pounds. Don't even pay attention to the scale. There are girls that weigh 30 pounds more than me that look a million times better, and girls that weigh less that look great. Get to how you want to look and feel and stay there.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6.5'', 118 pounds. Don't even pay attention to the scale. There are girls that weigh 30 pounds more than me that look a million times better, and girls that weigh less that look great. Get to how you want to look and feel and stay there.

^^^This!!! We are all so different, go by how you feel and how your clothes fit. I got to my target of 147lbs last year. I have gained some back and am working on shifting it, but for *me*, 147 is my fighting weight. I work out a lot and have an athletic build and lots of muscle. I could never be much less than 140lbs without chopping off a limb or my head. That doesn't mean that there are women out there at 5 ft 7 that wouldn't look great at a lower weight, I'm just not one of them :happy:
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i'm also a larger framed girl. 5'8 currently 205. i was going for 165 but that seems so low. 175 is what i am currently aiming for. what i don't understand is how to determine what size frame i have. my fingers overlap my wrist easily, but there is no way with these wide shoulders and thick hips I can be small framed

Try measuring at your elbow - between the two 'knobs' (well mine are mostly hidden) :embarassed: google womens frame measurements and some where I found I was borderline med frame with a measure of 2 3/8+". Could be a good guide.