Are there any foods that you don't count?

Options

Replies

• Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I don't usually count natural lemon juice or raw honey, because honey metabolizes VERY differently than sugar.. It actually eats away fat, rather than stores it, so it doesn't make sense to count it.

Any truth to this?

Honey's sugars are singularly fructose & glucose, which are monosaccharides. Sugar (sucrose) is a disaccharide composed of glucose and fructose. The difference? In digestion, monosaccharides are absorbed in our intestinal tracts, while disaccharides have to first be broken down to monosaccharides to be absorbed. Our bodies naturally have enzymes to break them down. However, not all sucrose molecules are broken down in digestion and they reach the gut bacteria.

In other words, honey is used almost INSTANTLY as energy by the body, and it does not get much of a time window to be stored as fat. Also there are a ridiculous amount of lipid phagocytic(fat devouring) compounds in honey, which AID in fat loss.

There are many live strong certified, and webmd referenced medical experts on this site. I am not one of the afore-mentioned pseudo-doctors. Honey will help you, in moderation. I guarantee this.
    Got any proof of that?
  • cheryl3660
    cheryl3660 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't usually count natural lemon juice or raw honey, because honey metabolizes VERY differently than sugar.. It actually eats away fat, rather than stores it, so it doesn't make sense to count it.

Any truth to this?

Honey's sugars are singularly fructose & glucose, which are monosaccharides. Sugar (sucrose) is a disaccharide composed of glucose and fructose. The difference? In digestion, monosaccharides are absorbed in our intestinal tracts, while disaccharides have to first be broken down to monosaccharides to be absorbed. Our bodies naturally have enzymes to break them down. However, not all sucrose molecules are broken down in digestion and they reach the gut bacteria.

In other words, honey is used almost INSTANTLY as energy by the body, and it does not get much of a time window to be stored as fat. Also there are a ridiculous amount of lipid phagocytic(fat devouring) compounds in honey, which AID in fat loss.

There are many live strong certified, and webmd referenced medical experts on this site. I am not one of the afore-mentioned pseudo-doctors. Honey will help you, in moderation. I guarantee this.

This may be the case for most people, but it is not so cut and dry for those of us with Diabetes, and in particular those with Type 2 Diabetes who use diet to control their blood sugar levels. Sugar, in any form, is not "used almost INSTANTLY as energy" by a diabetic body. I don't disagree there are good health benefits to honey, but I think any diabetic should be careful when using honey as a sweetener as it will still affect blood sugars. How much will depend on each individual and their own level of insulin resistance.

As for the original topic, I don't count vitamins, the odd bite or two of veggies, or Diet Dr. Pepper.
  • ellskiNZ
    ellskiNZ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't really count onions or garlic, because the amount shared across the number of people I cook for is so minor.
  • tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I don't count tea (unsweetended/sweetened with no calories) or spices. EVERYTHING else goes in MFP. Even if you eat salad with only lettuce, tomato, and cucumbers, that is still part of your day (maybe 50 calories). If you get in the habit of putting everything in with a calorie, then you'll get a better idea of how many calories you are actually ingesting, especially around the holidays!!! Easter candy should be calorie free, but my scale told me it wasn't. I didn't realize how much I ate because I didn't log any of it. Shame on me!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I count everything, including a piece of gum
    I used to be a member of WeightWatchers online. Back in 2006 they had 0 point foods. Things like carrots and celery.

I have adapted MFP to resemble WeightWatchers in many respects. I keep a running tally on how over-calories I am day-to-day on the notes section. I find it helps me to keep track of how I'm doing with my calorie allotment if I keep track of the overage calories in the "notes section".

Up until 2 weeks ago, I used to not count calories for certain foods. Things like sugar free Jello, a little dallop of soy milk in my coffee or tea, or celery or carrots. . .

I recently realized that these things were adding up. So I decided to start counting them. So now, I calorie count everything I eat. It's been working great so far.

Since I make use of the "notes section" in the food journal, I added another notation today that I'll use for a while:

Crypto calorie: a calorie that I previously wouldn't have counted. Today's total for crypto calories was 505. The highest yet. It's usually around 200 or so. But it is still significant because it adds up over the week.

Does anybody else have a "free" food that they use in moderation? If so, you may want to consider counting it if you end up hitting a plateau.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Any truth to this?

Even if this were true it's still calories in:calories out. If a teaspoon of honey takes you over TDEE there will still be surplus calories that will be stored as fat.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    spices, that is the only thing I do not log .....everything else that goes in, gets logged .....
  • DaisyBee8805
    Options
    If it goes in my mouth, it goes in my diary...unless it's prescription medication...but vitamins and supplements i do count.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Any truth to this?

Could you cite a source for this as it makes no sense.

OP: I don't count gum, coffee and artificial sweeteners
  • rebamay87
    rebamay87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I log everything, but herbs and spices I put in food.

I constantly fill up my water bottle so I don't log cups because I know I'm scoffing it anyways. lol
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I don't count dried herbs and Spices. All the rest I do count.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Just dried herbs and spices, everything else goes in no matter how small.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Water
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I log everything..... only water & air have 0 calories so anything else gets counted.
  • EmoJew
    EmoJew Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Coffee (milk is logged)
    Sugar free gum
    Water
    Herbs/spices

Also, I'd be more inclined to listen to those with a decent weight loss showing on their scale here...
  • SaBh93
    SaBh93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I usually don't count my coffee unless there's milk in there. I don't log the occasional coke zero, nor the piece of gum. Don't log in spices for food (i.e. chilli powder).

Everything else goes.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Coffee and tea - not even the milk
    Diet drinks
    Spices and herbs (sometimes - if I'm making a recipe I might add them in)
    Sometimes I won't log stuff if I know I have calories for them at the end of the day if I can't be bothered loading up the app (I have an ancient iPhone, it's slow) or turning on my computer
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    silly, silly question.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I don't count coffee or the sweetener in it (I count the milk I use).
  • katherinelangley
    Options
    I have never ever logged oil I use cooking!!