Please Share Your Tilapia Recipes

Options
kenya84
kenya84 Posts: 41
I am needing to step out of my daily baked chicken and broccoli routine. I just tried a salmon recipe that I found on here.

I bought some tilapia so if you have a tilapia recipe please share!

Replies

• jcsTN517
    jcsTN517 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I substitute tilapia for cod in Cooking Light's Crispy Fish with Lemon-Dill Sauce recipe...it's delicious!!!!
  • pixietwilight
    pixietwilight Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Toss Tilapia 1 tablespoon of any season all I use ( Badia complete seasoning)
    then in a separate plate use 1 teaspoon of olive oil and lightly coat the tilpia. Place on tin foil and sprinkle 1/8 of a cup of Panko bread crumbs on top (panko bread crumbs are Japanese bread crumbs) you can substitute this with crushed croutons. Bake in oven for 15 -20 mins at 400 degrees.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Quick N Easy Microwave Tilapia

1 -- 4 oz fillet
    2 TBLSP Salsa (peach mango is good, but so is regular)

Place fillet on a microwaveable dish. Spoon salsa over fillet and microwave on 70 or 80% depending on thickness of fillet. Start with about 2 minutes. Look at center of fillet to see if cooked through, if not, add 30 seconds. Times based upon 1100 watt microwave. Watch cooking time closely or you end up with overdone fish:grumble:
  • CoachJ77
    CoachJ77 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use this Louisiana style batter. It is only 24 calories I think for the coating which isn't much at all. I Just lightly garlic salt and pepper the fish first then batter the fish with it. You can either pan fry with olive oil or just use a bit of pam.
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Options
    I make Tilapia at least once a week. I love it because it's such a fast, easy meal. Two tilapia fillets and a bag of micro steam veggies with the red potatoes (Fresh steamers, I think) makes a super fast supper for me and my husband.

Season Tilapia fillets on each side lightly with your favorite seasoning. I use Cajun Injectors Cajun Shake.
    Lightly flour each side and shake off excess. You just want a light coating.
    Preheat skillet with 1 TBLSP olive oil. Place fillets in skillet on medium to medium high heat.
    Throw your Fresh steamers bag in micro and cook for 7 minutes.
    Turn fish fillets when golden...approx. 3 to 4 minutes.
    Cover skillet and lower heat to just medium. (steams it)
    When your timer goes off for your veggies your fish should be done. (cook until flakes easily and golden on second side)
    Dinner is DONE!
    My husband loves to have applesauce with this. I usually have something like melon or cucumbers or salad with it too.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Here's one I got from here, I'll look up a couple more I saved:
    'Mango-licous' Tilapia

"My son's girlfriend, Nicole, named this 'mango-licous'. The mango salsa is great over the Tilapia, as a dip or on cottage cheese. Try serving the tilapia over brown basmati rice or lightly dressed salad greens for a complete meal. Then generously top with the salsa. Mango-licious!!"

4 tilapia fillets
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange zest
    1/4 cup fresh orange juice
    salt and pepper to taste
    crushed red pepper flakes to taste

Salsa:
    1 mango - peeled, seeded and diced
    1 small red onion, finely chopped
    1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
    3 roma tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
    1 lime, zested and juiced
    1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
    1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C.)

In a shallow baking dish, combine the olive oil, orange zest, orange juice, salt, pepper and chili flakes.
    Rinse the fish fillets and pat them dry. Place them into the baking dish and turn to coat with the seasonings.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until fish can be flaked with a fork.

While the fish cooks, combine the mango, onion, avocado, tomatoes, lime zest and juice, jalapeno, ginger, cilantro and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a glass bowl. Stir to blend and set aside at room temperature until fish has finished cooking. Place fillets on a platter and spoon the salsa over them to serve.

Serves: 4

Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 320
    Total Fat: 16.4g
    Cholesterol: 41mg
    Sodium: 652mg
    Total Carbs: 20.8g
    Dietary Fiber: 5.3g
    Protein: 25.3g

**Tips: Some found that marinating the fish longer gave it better flavor.
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I make Tilapia in the oven - I put the frozen fish on a pan and sprinkle it with Spinach and Herb seasoining from Tastefully Simple. I use that for Salmon as well...it taste good and it is fast.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Ok, here's another find if you look up Tilapia in foil packets I bet you'll find it on the web and be able to see the original recipe with photos, I don't recall the website I got it from, I usually save them.:ohwell: Great recipe, fast and tasty!

*Crockpot Tilapia in foil packets with shredded cheese*

Even people who aren't crazy about fish will like this recipe. It calls for cheese, mayonaise and lemon juice---a trifecta that can't be beat.

Tilapia is a mild, flaky white fish that is a wonderful starting point for beginning fish eaters. Cooking fish in foil packets is a great way to seal in the natural moisture of the fish and get the flavors infused into every bite.

Anyhow, foil = good fish. And foil + fish + crockpot = a real, live American family eating fish.

The Ingredients:

-- 3 or 4 filets of Tilapia (or other favorite white fish)
    --1/4 cup mayonnaise
    --1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar. I've made it before with Parmesan and it was amazing. If I was planning a trip to the store specifically to get ingredients for this dish I would pick Parmesan.)
    --juice of 2 lemons
    --4 chopped garlic cloves
    --pinch each of salt and black pepper

The Directions:

--mix all ingredients (except for the fish. definitely not the fish.) in a bowl
    --lay out a piece of foil
    --rub sauce mixture on both sides of fish
    --fold foil over and make a little packet for the fish

--put all the packets into the crockpot
    --cook on LOW for 2-4 hours; fish should flake easily with a fork

PLEASE take care when taking the packet out of the crockpot and when opening it. It will be hot.

Enjoy!

Head over to www.sparkpeople.com for recipe calculater for nutrition:wink:
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I like to make fish tacos with tilapia.
    season the fish with s & p, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, what ever you like. Saute in some olive oil and flake when done. Serive with a lowfat tortilla, salsa, FF sourcream (I put cilantro and lime juice in mine) and some red cabbage for the extra crunch. (I slice the cabbage real thin then let it sit for as long as I can with some kosher salt and lime juice) Very yummy. This also works well with shrimp!
  • bhamilton01
    Options
    Best baked Tilapia recipe -

2 cups of corn flakes
    1/2 cup reduced fat parmesan cheese
    Ground Black Pepper 1 Tsp
    Tony Chachere's seasoning (to taste - based on how spicy you want it)

Add all ingredients in a ziploc bag and smash until you have a fine mixture.

Mix one egg white with 1 Tbsp of milk. Coat the fish in the egg mixture and then cover in the corn flake mixture. Add any extra corn flake mixture to the fish.

Bake in the oven at 350 until fish flakes.

I love this mixture and use it on Chicken and pork as well.
  • chgraham
    chgraham Posts: 122
    Options
    I made Tilapia for the first time last night and my daughter LOVED it, and wants me to make it again. All I did was sprinkle some cajun seasoning into an ovensafe dish, place the frozen Tilapia on top, sprinkle some more cajun seasoning on top and slice up some lemon and layer them over. Bake for about 20 minutes at 400F. Served with Sweet Potatoes and Broccoli and Asparagus.
  • Naniflora
    Naniflora Posts: 7
    Options
    4 oz of Talapia or Mahi Mahi
    1tsp virgin olive oil
    Blackened seasoning about 1 1/2 tsp

Sprinkle fish with olive oil. Then Blackened seasoning. Preheat non stick pan. Place fish in pan. (Be sure to turn on vent fan as this tends to smoke)
    Cook about 3 minutes total. Or 1-2 minutes each side.

Very spicy ! I ususally have this with Asian stir fry veggies.
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Parmesan-encrusted Tilapia
    2 servings

Ingredients
    2 skinless tilapia fillets (1 pound total)
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon dried basil
    1/4 cup Parmesan
    2 teaspoons olive oil

Directions
    1. Preheat the broiler. Cut the tilapia fillets lengthwise into two pieces, then pat dry with a paper towel and season to taste with pepper. In a small bowl, combine basil and Parmesan; set aside.
    2. Heat olive oil in a 12-inch heavy ovenproof skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Sauté the fish for 3 minutes or until brown. Flip the fillets; remove the skillet from heat. Dust the tilapia with the cheese mixture. Place the skillet under the broiler to finish cooking the fish and slightly brown the cheese, about 3 to 4 minutes.

Nutritional Info:
    Calories: 293.5
    Total Fat: 10.3 g
    Cholesterol: 119.9 mg
    Sodium: 312.8 mg
    Total Carbs: 0.6 g
    Dietary Fiber: 0.1 g
    Protein: 47.2 g
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bump
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I put it straight on the George Foreman grill, NOTHING on it at all, and it's great just the way it is! Sometimes I sprinkle a little lemon-pepper.
  • minilawyer
    minilawyer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I either bake it or put it in one of the steamer bags by glad or ziploc. I'll add either a marinade of some sort (Lowry's lemon pepper is good or sundried tomato viniagrette) or salsa (mango pineapple - YUM!). Either way is quite yummy. I LOVE tilapia.
  • constancio1
    Options
    We love the Cooking light receipe for Tilapia with green olive and tomatoes...wonderful flavor, super easy and quick
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1696598
  • ltvernon
    ltvernon Posts: 2
    Options
    I just had a fabulous tilapia recipe from Weight Watchers, it was Pastena (sp?) whole wheat bread crumbs with season salt to taste. Dip the filets into egg whites and fry in 1 tsp of olive oil. Bake on rice pilaf with grape tomato halves on top for about 15 to 20 minutes. That's the basic recipe, it was featured in the April or May issue. It's so good and under 500 calories for the meal. We added a small side salad with our dinner.

Good luck!
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'd love to share my recipie but everyone on here would die. It involves a stick of butter, garlic, and other herbs and spices. As an alternative you can try pan in a skillet w/ garlic and parsley, little salt and pepper. Or when my herb garden is in full swing I take a piece of alum foil, fill with fish, top w/ herbs and S&P, add veg and either put on grill or bake in oven. For fake buttery goodness, i followup w. parkay or I can't believe N Butter spray. YUM!!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bump