Replies

• cuppycake22
    cuppycake22 Posts: 224
    Options
    BUMP!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    we make a parmesan crusted talapia under the broiler...super quick and easy to make...my recipe is very similar to what i listed below from - Allrecipes.com
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Broiled-Tilapia-Parmesan/Detail.aspx

my only complaint with the talapia that we have bought a few times in the past - is that the farm raised talapia tastes dirty sometimes...i need to try a different type of talapia next time - we also made one "steak" of mahi mahi with the topping since we didnt have enough talapia in the freezer and it was very good this way too...enjoy...

Broiled Tilapia Parmesan
    Prep Time: 5 Min
    Cook Time: 10 Min
    Ready In: 15 Min

Servings 4

Ingredients
    * 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese ( i use reduced fat kraft parm)
    * 2 tablespoons butter, softened (i don't use better in mine
    * 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons mayonnaise (i used light)
    * 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    * 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
    * 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
    * 1 pound tilapia fillets

Directions

1. Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil.
    2. In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.
    3. Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish.

Nutritional Information:
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 203 | Total Fat: 11.4g | Cholesterol: 59mg
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Bump
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    This is not a recipe, but info about the fish itelf. Here is a link to article below:

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/TIP03693/Is-Tilapia-Unhealthy.html

"Is Tilapia Unhealthy?
    Tip of the Day 5/18/

Farm-raised tilapia is one of the most highly consumed fish in America, yet it has very low levels of beneficial omega-3 fatty compared to its content of potentially detrimental omega-6 fatty acids. Omega-6's are pro-inflammatory, and inflammation is a key contributor to many health concerns and the development of chronic conditions.

Tilapia is not necessarily as unhealthy as a doughnut, but I recommend reaching for the best fish of all - wild-caught Alaskan salmon. It has an impressive omega-3 fatty acid content and is a species with fewer concerns about environmental toxins. While it is more expensive than tilapia, it is a worthy investment in your health (omega-3 fatty acids help to protect mental and physical health) that will reap dividends in the future."
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Interesting, next thing we know we'll be hearing about fish donuts:sick:

I get confused on fish, some is safer if you eat wild, some is much safer if you eat farm raised. Hard to keep track of it all at times.

So much to be concerned about with food, I don't spend tons of time thinking of mercury in fish, maybe I should but then there would go another food group and I'm a bit limited at times as it is. Sometimes chicken totally grosses me out so don't have that in the house for months at time. ugh I wish I could simply not care, but that's not really me.:ohwell: :laugh:

Thanks for posting what you found. I had never heard of Tilpia until the last couple years, where did it suddenly appear from?
  • Twilightmom3
    Options
    I love www.allrecipes.com...when you need a recipe just search the recipe collection. The recipes are rated from 1-5 stars and will tell you how many ppl have rated it and you can even read the reviews. If you are looking for tilapia just put that in the search bar and it will come up with all the recipes that include tilapia. You can even go under the "ingredients" button and put everything you want the recipe to include...tilapia....bread crumbs...what ever you want! Most of the recipes include nutrional information and myfitness pal even has some of the allrecips.com info. in the database!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bump
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Bump. :)
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Spicy Citrus Talapia

Mix in a bowl 1/2 cup Orange Juice (fresh)
    4 Tablespoons Fresh Lime Juice
    2 Garlic Cloves crushed
    Salt 1/4 teaspon
    2 Tablespoons Low Soduim Soy Sauce
    1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon Cumin Powder
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar

Marinate fish for 15 - 20 minutes in marinade

Sprinkle Paprika on both sides of fish fillets generously and grill or broil until desired done ness.

Meanwhile heat marinade in sauce pan to slow boil and reduce slightly.

Drizzle over fillets and serve with lime wedges
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bump
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I like to put them on the grill in packets... sprinkle some salt and pepper on each filet, then rub with olive oil. Place on a square piece of foil. Toss some lemon juice over them, and/or include a lemon wedge, add some coriander, a spring of thyme and some roughly chopped fresh sweet onion. Fold up the sides of the foil, leaving some air in the packet for circulation, and toss on the grill for about 20 mins. You can serve them with all the toppings or scrape it all off and garnish with some parsley and lemon. SO good, SO healthy and a great camping recipe too. You can use this with any kind of fish... my favorite is salmon or swordfish with this.
  • Pollart77
    Pollart77 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a lot of tilapia lately and I really love it! I do it up REAL simple - with ground cumin. I sprinkle a generous amount of cumin on both sides and broil the fish until it's flaky and cooked. I squeeze some fresh lemon on it once it's done baking. It's a little citrusy and a little "spicy" with the cumin. So easy and so good. You could totally switch out cumin for a cajun seasoning too. I bet that would be awesome.
  • mstarrett01
    mstarrett01 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • am_lowe
    am_lowe Posts: 113
    Options
    bumping this again
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bumping this again
    thank you for doing that, now it's bumped to 'my topics' as well:tongue:
  • chicken1975
    Options
    Hello, on the tilapia in the crock pot recipe, do you need to add water into the crockpot? or do you just place the foiled fish in without water?
  • missmaya24
    missmaya24 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I lightly coat the fish with olive oil, sprinkle Spike seasoning and ground black pepper, and spread a thin layer of minced ginger. Saute in olive oil and garlic.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    We marinade 1-2 inch pieces in a mixture of lime juice and rind, splash of olive oil, fresh cilantro, garlic and salt and pepper for 30 mins (any longer and the lime juice will start to cook the fish). Then spray a baking sheet and bake at 400F for 15 mins or so, until it's just browning around the edges. We serve it over a rustic white bean mash with onion, garlic, jalapenos, white wine and cumin and top with a fresh pico!

It's a recipe that we stole and altered from this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/fish-and-white-bean-tostadas-recipe/index.html

We just omit the tostatdas completely, minimize on oil, and use a much healthier homemade pico including just tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, fresh cilantro, and lime. For the white beans we use less wine, spray instead of oil, more cumin, and substitute cilantro for oregano (because frankly, we're addicted to the stuff). It's such a tasty meal and easy to make in under 45 mins :)

Hope this isn't too complicated and messy a description! I really recommend this recipe. And if you want something with more substance, make it into a taco or a wrap. Enjoy :)