'Cleaner' snack ideas

Options

Replies

• rubberbiscuit
    Options
    Since I have a 1 and 1/2 dozen hard-boiled eggs in my fridge right now from Easter, hard-boiled eggs are the obvious answer to, "what should I snack on?". I just ate one with an apple for my morning snack. Very satisfying.
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    I made cheesy cauliflower "breadsticks" for dinner last night. Surprised how good it actually tastes.

I love nuts, but find I need too many to fill up and they're fattening. If you're good with small portions, they're good to go. Carrots, peppers, I usually eat a bunch of. Dipping in hummus or greek yogurt with some ranch packet mixed in are good with the carrots, as well! Edamame, cottage cheese, yogurt are good go tos, too.

I'm not a huge sweets person (thankfully!) but am trying small bites of dark chocolate, as I've heard it's good for the metabolism. So have a bar of Special Dark Chocolate and will eat a square if I remember to.

Also trying to get in more fruit as well!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options

plateaus are about not eating enough or eating to much, not about food choices.

It's about calories...

I'm not worried about the plateau as such, I should have said that, I started Insanity recently and my shape has changed a lot, I'm using their calorie recommendations and I'm sure the scales will follow. As I said though I'm looking to make healthier choices.
  • bojkoj19
    bojkoj19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Try dried figs if you have a sweet tooth and air popped popcorn sprinkled with nutritional yeast ( I know doesn't sound good but it gives it a cheesy taste that's guilt free)
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Ty for this thread because the 25 Cheez-Its I ate today satisfied my hunger for approximately 25 seconds.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I eat whole foods as my snacks. Also I like to bake so I bake healthy gluten free muffins, corn bread etc. Bananas are big on my list I buy like 7 bundles a week.
  • beckymlong
    beckymlong Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have been looking into this and snacks I have include Greek yoghurt fresh and dried fruits, hummus, mixed nuts, ryvita, banana with peanut butter (yummy!) I eat things because I know its good for me, my book suggests mango and cottage cheese haven't quite got the guts to try that yet, sounds horrid. Try to snack on fresh things as it helps n boost your fruit n veg intake, its really easy to eat lots, in UK we are supposed to have 5 a day and many people struggle I don't understand how....
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I just made my snacks for the day---I prep them ahead so they are there whenever I need them:

*thinly sliced baby bell peppers
    *thinly sliced carrots
    * thinly sliced celery
    * roasted pumpkin seeds

That's for today....sometimes I add almond butter or thinly sliced low-fat mozzarella.

I slice everything very thinly because it makes them last longer, my brain falls for it.
  • Kyrithys
    Kyrithys Posts: 32
    Options
    ...cottage cheese is like devil's semen.

LMAO, I don't think I'll ever be able to eat cottage cheese again. :noway:

I usually snack on olives, a couple of buttered ryvitta, pickled onions, slices of cheese, fruit and seeds. :smile:
  • RaquelCasul
    Options
    Not sure if it's practical for your budget or location, but Graze are a company that will send you a box of healthy snacks once a week, for about £3-4 per box. They tend to be fruit and nut based, with some good quality chocolate in a few, and they're all vegetarian. Might be worth a look; have a search for graze.co.uk.

Have you tried roasted seasoned chickpeas, or houmous? You can make houmous by blending one tin of drained chickpeas with coriander, cumin, lemon juice, and a tablespoon or two of soy sauce. You can add some vegan or vegetarian mayo if you like, but I've found it doesn't make much difference to the taste/texture. It goes well with crackers and cucumber slices, or you could eat it with cucumber batons.

For roasted chickpeas, drain a tin, put in a baking tray, spray with oil, and season with whatever you like. I like the Happy Herbivore's Taco Seasoning personally ( http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Seasoning-I/Detail.aspx ).

It might also be worth googling Chocolate Covered Katie or having a look at the Happy Herbivore's other recipes. Both bloggers are vegan; CCK styles her blog as "the healthy dessert blog", and HH goes for an extremely low fat diet, so their desserts and snacks tend to be low in fat, sugar, and calories.
  • RaquelCasul
    Options
    Who is healthier, a man who is 400lbs and eats "healthy" or a man at a healthy weight who eats junk?

As people lose weight their health improves regardless of food choices. I do recommend cleaning up your diet down the road, don't get me wrong.

It depends on a lot of factors, but, in many cases, it will be the heavier person. Having a high weight alone is not bad for your health. It can be a factor in conditions which are bad for your health, and can be correlated with poor habits which aren't good for you, but being overweight alone is not a bad thing, and you should absolutely not encourage people to make unhealthy choices purely to low their BMI. Losing weight is NOT the be all and end all of health, happiness, or beauty.
  • babecon
    babecon Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I made cheesy cauliflower "breadsticks" for dinner last night. Surprised how good it actually tastes.

I love nuts, but find I need too many to fill up and they're fattening. If you're good with small portions, they're good to go. Carrots, peppers, I usually eat a bunch of. Dipping in hummus or greek yogurt with some ranch packet mixed in are good with the carrots, as well! Edamame, cottage cheese, yogurt are good go tos, too.

I'm not a huge sweets person (thankfully!) but am trying small bites of dark chocolate, as I've heard it's good for the metabolism. So have a bar of Special Dark Chocolate and will eat a square if I remember to.

Also trying to get in more fruit as well!

How did you make the cheesy cauliflower 'breadsticks'?
    Cheesy cauliflower anything is a win in my book so now I'm intrigued
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Lot's of good ideas here!

I also like:
    kale chips
    green smoothies (greens, banana, frozen strawberries, an apple with coconut water)
    fruit of course
    nuts
    dried fruit
    air popped popcorn with nutritional yeast

I eat a lot of mini meals as snacks, things like steel cut oatmeal or a salad or whatever leftovers I might have around. I eat vegetarian during the week, feel free to look at my diary or add me cause I do eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day.
  • haleyjester
    haleyjester Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I loveee frozen grapes, so good.
    Apples with pb or celery with pb, pop a couple raisins on there =)
    popcorn with like some chili powder, yum
    string cheese
    pistachios (unsalted)
    broccoli, dipped in some lite ranch if you dont like it plain
    apple cinnamon rice cakes/ any for that matter

pretty much the same suggestions as a lot of people but that is what i snack on =)
  • haleyjester
    haleyjester Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    omg i love kale in all shapes and forms, i could eat it everyday!
    Plus salad is low in calories so thats another thing you could buy..i love anything green pretty much
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I like to get the snack size packs of baby carrots from Publix, and dip them in hummus. New York Style Pita Chips Red Hot Chili Pepper are also awesome dipped in hummus. Cream cheese, or pimento cheese, on Ritz crackers is another favorite snack of mine.
  • lindanufc
    lindanufc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A big cup of bovril with lots of pepper very low cal and think it's filling
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's practical for your budget or location, but Graze are a company that will send you a box of healthy snacks once a week, for about £3-4 per box. They tend to be fruit and nut based, with some good quality chocolate in a few, and they're all vegetarian. Might be worth a look; have a search for graze.co.uk.

Funnily enough I re-started my Graze deliveries this week and opted for the 'light' boxes, I think I'll have them for a while for ideas then check supermarkets for similar snacks.
  • Jaylello
    Jaylello Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Cover a baking tray with parchment paper.
    Place 6 squares of 60/70% coco chocolate on the parchment paper
    Place on the oven( do ye guys have ovens?) anyhow heat the tray so that the chocolate melts
    Spread it out evenly into one thin layer of chocolate
    Sprinkle crushed nuts/berries/seeds/ on top and let them sink into the chocolate
    Place in the fridge until the chocolate hardens
    Break it up into random pieces
    Nom nom nom nom
  • Kyrithys
    Kyrithys Posts: 32
    Options
    But let me ask you this question.

Who is healthier, a man who is 400lbs and eats "healthy" or a man at a healthy weight who eats junk?

As people lose weight their health improves regardless of food choices...

This isn't true at all!

There are two types of fat storage in the body - visceral and subcutaneous.

Visceral fat builds up in the abdomen and the surrounding vital organs. It can infiltrate the liver and other organs including muscles and the heart. Subcutaneous is stored under the skin and causes cellulite and dimpling.

There are a lot of people who appear to be thin but don't exercise and eat badly who are likely to be carrying a lot of visceral fat which puts them at risk of a number major health issues such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, strokes, high cholesterol etc.

Sumo wrestlers on the other hand who eat at least 5000 calories a day and carry a lot of subcutaneous fat have been found to have hardly any internal fat, low cholesterol and triglycerides and low insulin resistance.

Exercise and healthy eating makes quite a large difference to your health no matter what your size.