Options

Replies

• mjlong
    mjlong Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bump! Awesome Ideas!
  • RaquelCasul
    Options
    So you're saying a 400lbs man is healthier than a man at a healthy weight???

If, as you specified, the overweight man eats healthily while the lighter man eats junk food then, yes, it is completely possible.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    my nice clean snack is a bottle of whiskey.
  • yawgmoth
    yawgmoth Posts: 5
    Options
    So you're saying a 400lbs man is healthier than a man at a healthy weight???

If, as you specified, the overweight man eats healthily while the lighter man eats junk food then, yes, it is completely possible.
    That's pretty unlikely though. While you can be super unhealthily at reasonable weights 400 lbs is pretty extreme.
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    I made cheesy cauliflower "breadsticks" for dinner last night. Surprised how good it actually tastes.

I love nuts, but find I need too many to fill up and they're fattening. If you're good with small portions, they're good to go. Carrots, peppers, I usually eat a bunch of. Dipping in hummus or greek yogurt with some ranch packet mixed in are good with the carrots, as well! Edamame, cottage cheese, yogurt are good go tos, too.

I'm not a huge sweets person (thankfully!) but am trying small bites of dark chocolate, as I've heard it's good for the metabolism. So have a bar of Special Dark Chocolate and will eat a square if I remember to.

Also trying to get in more fruit as well!

How did you make the cheesy cauliflower 'breadsticks'?
    Cheesy cauliflower anything is a win in my book so now I'm intrigued

here's the recipe I used! I added red pepper flakes and oregano as my spices.
    http://www.balticmaid.com/2012/11/cheesy-cauliflower-breadsticks/
  • Atarahh
    Atarahh Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Raw fruit, raw vegetables, no added sugars, dressings, etc.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'm repeating:
    Low fat string cheese
    Portion control Almonds (I love Trader Joes "just a handful" of dry roasted/no salt)
    Pumpkin or Sunflower seeds
    Dried fruit
    Fresh fruit (apples and bananas fill me up the most)
    Fresh veggies (broccoli, cukes, carrots) and hummus or tzatiki
    Greek yogurt (I love Alpina-it comes with granola/seeds)
    TEA!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I make myself a little vegetable Bento every day. A little bit of cauliflower, some baby carrots, some grape tomatoes, and some celery with 2 tbsp of salad dressing in a little lidded container. I can snack on that all afternoon and be content.

I do the same with fruit sometimes and instead of salad dressing put 3oz of fat free greek yogurt in the container for dipping my fruit. YUM! (This is actually my lunch today. A big fruit salad and a container of yogurt).
    Air Popped Popcorn. I would recommend going to Walmart/Target and getting a Hot Air Popper. It is only like $5-10 and you can buy a bag of kernels for like 3$.
    This is a great idea BUT to save even more money...swing by the dollar store and pick up some brown paper bags lunch bags(I get them 100 in a pack for a dollar). 1/4C of plain old popcorn kernels, fold the top over twice, stand it upright in the microwave for about 2.5 minutes. When the pops slow down to every 5 seconds or so, take it out.

Fluffy, perfect popcorn that you can now salt or sprinkle with whatever you want(when I have extra calories I *LOVE* grated Parmesan on mine)..for SUPER cheap.
  • airen123
    Options
    I make myself a little vegetable Bento every day. A little bit of cauliflower, some baby carrots, some grape tomatoes, and some celery with 2 tbsp of salad dressing in a little lidded container. I can snack on that all afternoon and be content.

I do the same with fruit sometimes and instead of salad dressing put 3oz of fat free greek yogurt in the container for dipping my fruit. YUM! (This is actually my lunch today. A big fruit salad and a container of yogurt).
    Air Popped Popcorn. I would recommend going to Walmart/Target and getting a Hot Air Popper. It is only like $5-10 and you can buy a bag of kernels for like 3$.
    This is a great idea BUT to save even more money...swing by the dollar store and pick up some brown paper bags lunch bags(I get them 100 in a pack for a dollar). 1/4C of plain old popcorn kernels, fold the top over twice, stand it upright in the microwave for about 2.5 minutes. When the pops slow down to every 5 seconds or so, take it out.

Fluffy, perfect popcorn that you can now salt or sprinkle with whatever you want(when I have extra calories I *LOVE* grated Parmesan on mine)..for SUPER cheap.

I did this exact same thing last week. SOO much cheaper and healthier than the pre bagged kind at the store. I throw red pepper and salt on mine.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I did this exact same thing last week. SOO much cheaper and healthier than the pre bagged kind at the store. I throw red pepper and salt on mine.

Oh, you should try cocoa powder and cayenne..... spicy chocolate popcorn.... freaking amazing!
  • dexter4564
    dexter4564 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Although it's processed meat, the 'mattessons fridge raiders' are really tasty and high in protein. A 60g pack is around 115 calories and 10g protein, much more nutritious and filling than your average 115 calories of chocolate.
  • airen123
    Options
    Oh, you should try cocoa powder and cayenne..... spicy chocolate popcorn.... freaking amazing!
    [/quote]

YUM:love:
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Although it's processed meat, the 'mattessons fridge raiders' are really tasty and high in protein. A 60g pack is around 115 calories and 10g protein, much more nutritious and filling than your average 115 calories of chocolate.

I did say I don't eat meat :tongue:
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Any kind of fruit
    Almonds
    Apples and peanut or almond butter
    Banana with 1 tbsp of peanut butter on it (my go-to dessert, so yummy)
    Apples with cinnamon
    Veggies and hummus
    Crackers and hummus
    Yogurt

^^^All these

And you really should try a whey protein shake. Especially after a workout. Your body needs extra protein to build muscle. And you can find ones that taste really good.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Any kind of fruit
    Almonds
    Apples and peanut or almond butter
    Banana with 1 tbsp of peanut butter on it (my go-to dessert, so yummy)
    Apples with cinnamon
    Veggies and hummus
    Crackers and hummus
    Yogurt

^^^All these

And you really should try a whey protein shake. Especially after a workout. Your body needs extra protein to build muscle. And you can find ones that taste really good.

The ones I've tried make me gag and I am on a very tight budget so can't afford to try loads of different kinds!
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    I have the same problem with cottage cheese. Does anybody know anyway of making it taste better? It's got an awesome amount of protein in it.
  • gigglebabe101
    gigglebabe101 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So many good ideas.....
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    HUMMUS! I love hummus with veggies!
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Raw, un-roasted, unsalted nuts - walnuts, almonds, pumpkin, sunflower
    unsweetened dried fruits (can make your own - instead of sugar, try agave or rice syrup)
    Plain popcorn - i have started dusting mine w/ unsweetened coco powder, chili powder, or ranch powder (so yum)
    apple slices & organic peanut butter
    grass fed cheese (if you'll do any animal products)
    humus & baby carrots or mushrooms (sliced)
    unsweetened coconut flakes (hard to find, but you can make from raw coconut)
  • kilbey1
    kilbey1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Vegetarian option protein snack: Salt and Vinegar Roasted Chickpeas. I have made these and they are a FANTASTIC tasty alternative to salt and vinegar potato chips.

2 cups canned (or cooked from fresh) chickpeas
    3-4 cups white vinegar
    1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
    2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Line a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper.

Take chickpeas and vinegar and place in a medium sized pot. Add a dash of sea salt. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat. Let sit in pot for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

Carefully drain chickpeas. Place on lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sea salt. Massage with fingers until fully covered. Roast for 45 minutes, flipping once half way through. Keep a careful eye on them after 35 minutes of cooking to ensure they don't burn; you want crispy and golden brown.

(Credit goes to Oh She Glows web site, http://ohsheglows.com/)