Does anyone have any tips or advice on EATING CLEAN???

I am new to the whole eating clean idea. I get the concept of not eating processed foods and staying away from the whites (sugar, flour, & salt) but how do YOU do it? Any tips for a newbie? Thanks! =)

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    I prep veggies, fruits and lean meats on Sunday so I can just grab and go during the week for lunch and breakfast. I make a meal plan and prep what I can for week night dinners so I don't cave and go for quick and easy. Once you get a pattern going it really doesn't take any more time or money to eat this way! I also have a 90/10 rule. I eat clean 90% of the time and save 10% for indulgences or meals out.
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    I get a veggie box delivered once a week and I eat everything that's in it - also I cook a bit too much supper and then put it in a tupperware box for the next day. I'm vegetarian so I tend to cook vegetables and then empty a can of cooked beans in to them. It's not smart cooking but it's very quick and easy
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I am new to the whole eating clean idea. I get the concept of not eating processed foods and staying away from the whites (sugar, flour, & salt) but how do YOU do it? Any tips for a newbie? Thanks! =)

Frankly that concept is silly, eat foods you like, create a deficit (if you're looking to lose weight), get in adequate protein and fats and try to eat mostly whole nutrient dense foods
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member

Frankly that concept is silly, eat foods you like, create a deficit (if you're looking to lose weight), get in adequate protein and fats and try to eat mostly whole nutrient dense foods

Frankly it's a great concept. eat foods you like that are also extremely nutritious, create a deficit (if you're looking to lose weight), get in adequate protein and fats and try to eat mostly whole nutrient dense foods!

and allow yourself a treat every now and again. eating clean doesn't mean depriving yourself of things you like, just learning how to enjoy them on occasion instead of all the time, and making sure they fit into your macro nutrient goals.

my best advice is to make things in bulk. stews, soups, stir fries, etc. That way you've always got something in the fridge to reheat quickly when you don't feel like cooking.

good luck!
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    We are eating "semi-clean". We got rid of all boxed, processed, pre-packaged foods in our pantry and freezer. We eat mainly venison, chicken, pork, and fish for protein. And veggies with every meal. We eat some whole grain, high fiber breads and pasta, but we are keeping that to a minimum. We switched to sea salt and I quit all sweetners like splenda. Stevia is a good option for some people, but it doesn't agree with me. And we are drinking pure unsweetened almond milk.

I think even minor changes like that will help in the long run.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    It's difficult to define clean. I tend to shop on the "outside" of the grocery store, so fruits, veggies, milk/dairy, and meat.

The whole definition gets tricky when you want something like bread. Some people say it's processed, but if it's sprouted grain, then it's not so bad, etc. I don't let it rule my life, and I basically end up eating clean at home (and at work because I don't eat out during the day), but I'll not worry about it when I go out to eat (usually about 3 times a week).
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    If it spoils, put it in. If it has a shelf life of anything more than a week, pass.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    I just have to say that I love brownies too.

Carry on.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    my best advice is to make things in bulk. stews, soups, stir fries, etc. That way you've always got something in the fridge to reheat quickly when you don't feel like cooking.

And I agree with this. The last thing I usually want to do is cook when I get home from work (I workout in the mornings, and I usually am just tired and starving). So I batch cook on the weekends and freeze in individual portions. I don't have a problem eating the same thing every day, so I make huge batches, but if you can't do that, maybe cook at least 2-3 portions of 3-4 different things. Then freeze them all individually, and you essentially have your own "lean cuisine" type meals with some variety in your freezer, and then just heat up what you want.

I usually do some kind of "main dish" for lunch and for dinner I have a big *kitten* salad with shredded chicken (so easy in the crockpot). I use fresh veggies and the chicken is frozen from one weekend. It's pretty simple.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    at grocery store you shop around the perimeter.. fruits, veggies, meat, eggs.....avoid the middle isles of processed packaged foods.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member

And I agree with this. The last thing I usually want to do is cook when I get home from work (I workout in the mornings, and I usually am just tired and starving). So I batch cook on the weekends and freeze in individual portions. I don't have a problem eating the same thing every day, so I make huge batches, but if you can't do that, maybe cook at least 2-3 portions of 3-4 different things. Then freeze them all individually, and you essentially have your own "lean cuisine" type meals with some variety in your freezer, and then just heat up what you want.

I usually do some kind of "main dish" for lunch and for dinner I have a big *kitten* salad with shredded chicken (so easy in the crockpot). I use fresh veggies and the chicken is frozen from one weekend. It's pretty simple.

big *kitten* salads for the win!

love 'em. :)
  • micheabr
    micheabr Posts: 72
    One of my rules is 'if it comes in a box or packet it should probably stay there'. Obviously this doesn't mean EVERYTHING, but I try stick to fresh foods and add fruit or veg to every meal if I can.
  • kopoba11
    kopoba11 Posts: 12
    I would consider myself eating "clean" whatever that means :-)

The only possible way to make it work is to cook your own food from raw ingredients.

So if you do not like to cook, do not have time for cooking or travel a lot you may have hard time following your plan.

On another hand you can focus first on reduction of processed foods in general, start with small goals and slow move to a larger onces.

Bottom line "eating clean" requires effort, planning and dedication.

Some interesting observations after not eating anything processed:
    1. Your taste palate becomes much more refined
    2. You will spend less on food
    3. You may stop drinking soda (see 1, diet soda specifically),
    4. Cravings for nasty stuff will go away (see 1) you will be able to taste the difference between fresh and junk
    5. You will become inventive and imaginative when it comes to eating different foods, since you have to prepare a lot of it.
    6. Other family members which reside with you will benefit from your new approach to food.

good luck
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    My advice is don't get hung up on it. Basically, cook your own food instead of "just add water" boxed stuff. At the grocery store, buy single ingredient items as much as possible. But don't get hung up on what's clean or not clean. It's way too stressful. (Watch those cortisol levels!)
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Best thing I've read on eating clean....

Quote from Layne Norton

"I find the whole idea of ‘clean eating’ pretentious. What exactly defines a food as ‘clean’? Do you spray windex on it? Rub soap on it? I find it a bit preposterous. I’ve been in debates with people promoting ‘clean eating’ but when I ask for a specific scientific definition of what makes a food ‘clean’ they are silent. I think the restrictive diets where you can only eat a half dozen or so foods are not only unhealthy because they don’t give you a diverse intake of nutrients but I believe they promote eating disorders and binging. I see people who ‘eat clean’ during most of the week and then binge on cheesecake, ice cream, and donuts because it’s a ‘cheat’ meal. Oh yea… that is way healthier than eating ‘unclean’ foods in moderation to a hit a specific macronutrient target. *rolleyes* Now that said, I do believe that many IIFYMers (I find it funny that something myself and others been promoting for years gets an acronym attached to it and is now this ‘new’ way of eating LOL) actually go too far in one direction. Most people who origionally promoted targeting macronutrient intakes instead of obsessing about food choices actually eat ‘clean’ foods 95% of the time, we just don’t agonize over having a homemade burrito with a low carb wrap or some reduced calorie ice cream. We see the value of a controlled intake in order to prevent uncontrolled binging. But I do see IIFYM followers who eat as much sugary, high fat foods as they can and wear it like a badge of honor. That is not the point. If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods. The point is it’s ok to have these foods in small amounts if you are still hitting your goal macronutrient intake."

http://www.shreddedknowledge.com/home/a-talk-with-the-doc-dr-layne-norton/
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Do your grocery shopping around the perimeter of the store and avoid all the garbage in the middle aisles (potato chips, almost anything in a pre-packaged box, sugary cereals, candy)

Remember:
    If your food can go bad, it's good for you. If it can't go bad, it's bad for you.
  • Make sure that when you go shopping your trolley is filled up with foods that go in the fridge and not in the cupboard. Also do not buy processed foods, only purchase foods that you have to prepare from scratch. Juice your own veggies and fruit juice. Make sure you eat only free range/organic meats. If you cannot pronounce a word on a label, do not put it in your shopping basket. Always purchase foods that will spoil within days - that way you know that you have bought fresh (ie. fruit, veges). Make your own bread if you want to have - has no preservatives in it. You will feel a whole lot better eating clean - and of course, drink natural water. Nothing with sugars and sweetners in it. It really is not hard to do. 3/4 of your shopping trolley should be fruit and veges!
  • stephanie40403
    stephanie40403 Posts: 98 Member
    bump
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    The whole idea of a "clean" food makes no sense. Only calories and macros make any difference for weight loss/gain.

The whole idea of clean eating is a fitness industry exercise in make-believe.

Hopefully it'll go the way of other gems such as "fat makes you fat" and die a quick painless death.....
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Make your own food. We don't eat out, like, hardly ever. You'll be amazed at how much money it saves you, too.

If you eat anything prepackaged, look at the ingredients. If it has more than five or six ingredients, esp anything that you cannot pronounce, put it back.