Does anyone have any tips or advice on EATING CLEAN???

Options

Replies

• ILoveBrownies2
    ILoveBrownies2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice!!! A couple more questions...
    What do you think about red meats?
    Frozen Veggies?
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    We are eating "semi-clean". We got rid of all boxed, processed, pre-packaged foods in our pantry and freezer. We eat mainly venison, chicken, pork, and fish for protein. And veggies with every meal. We eat some whole grain, high fiber breads and pasta, but we are keeping that to a minimum. We switched to sea salt and I quit all sweetners like splenda. Stevia is a good option for some people, but it doesn't agree with me. And we are drinking pure unsweetened almond milk.

I think even minor changes like that will help in the long run.

This definitely. Start with small steps and build your way up. What packaged foods I do eat, I make sure the ingredient list is short and has only real food, nothing artificial, nothing chemical. I do eat whole wheat, but I try to limit those to once or twice a week.
  • tigerlion2013
    tigerlion2013 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Check out this site:
    http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/

I know someone who is going through it and is loving it. I haven't gone through this so I can't say from my own personal experience.

Instead of a 100-day pledge, you can also start by taking baby steps--doing a 10-day pledge of eating real foods. I'll probably start there.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Frozen Veggies?

Red meat is fine as long as you log it and it fits into your calorie goal. I tend to go for leaner cuts when I can. Looking forward to my buffalo burger tonight (the pretzel roll it's served on is probably not "clean"; so don't care).

Frozen veggies also fine depending on what they are. Straight up veggies are good; those with sauces, you'll need to check the ingredient list. I love roasted veggies, so I buy fresh, roast them, then freeze them. However, frozen veggies can be much more cost effective, and you can get things that are out of season near you. You can also check out local farmers' markets for cheaper sources of veggies.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    The whole idea of a "clean" food makes no sense. Only calories and macros make any difference for weight loss/gain.

The whole idea of clean eating is a fitness industry exercise in make-believe.

Hopefully it'll go the way of other gems such as "fat makes you fat" and die a quick painless death.....

nope. and nope.

and if it makes no sense, you might wanna rethink your reasoning skills.

eat nutritious whole foods instead of processed pre-packaged foods. yeah man that's crazy.
  • ILoveBrownies2
    Options
    lol thanks, I haven't tried a bufalo burger yet
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    thegraciouspantry.com
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Frozen Veggies?

frozen veggies are fine, and red meats are also ok on occasion, but you're much better off picking grass-fed beef vs. traditionally raised beef fed on corn. it's a little more expensive, but if you don't want to be ingesting all those growth hormones and antibiotics, it's worth it.
  • ILoveBrownies2
    Options
    The whole idea of a "clean" food makes no sense. Only calories and macros make any difference for weight loss/gain.

Hopefully it'll go the way of other gems such as "fat makes you fat" and die a quick painless death.....

nope. and nope.

eat nutritious whole foods instead of processed pre-packaged foods. yeah man that's crazy.

I get that eating nutritious foods and exercise helps you lose weight. I want to accomplish more than that, I just want to be healthy and minimize all the pesticides, additives, preservatives, etc. They cannot be good for you! but thank you both for your advice :)))
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    If it spoils, put it in. If it has a shelf life of anything more than a week, pass.

So true!!!!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

nope. and nope.

I get that eating nutritious foods and exercise helps you lose weight. I want to accomplish more than that, I just want to be healthy and minimize all the pesticides, additives, preservatives, etc. They cannot be good for you! but thank you both for your advice :)))

absolutely! it's great that you're deciding to make that change. your body will thank you in the long run. :)

feel free to check my diary for some ideas - doing 4000 cals almost entirely clean.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

nope. and nope.

I remember watching a show on the History channel (before they started only showing reality tv) about different kinds of mummies. Apparently there was a sect of monks somewhere in Asia who would eat small amounts of the herbs used to preserve bodies throughout their lives, and when they felt closer to death, they'd start eating them in larger quantities. Then when it was "time" they'd go to their resting place (it was actually a kind of pedestal thing), and start meditating. Low and behold, when they died, they were essentially already mummified and their bodies were preserved (granted their resting places were in a cool, dry cave, which also helps prevent degradation of the body).

You sure you don't want to give that a try?! :laugh:
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I am new to the whole eating clean idea. I get the concept of not eating processed foods and staying away from the whites (sugar, flour, & salt) but how do YOU do it? Any tips for a newbie? Thanks! =)

Frankly that concept is silly, eat foods you like, create a deficit (if you're looking to lose weight), get in adequate protein and fats and try to eat mostly whole nutrient dense foods

^ If you're only goal is weight loss, that. But if you are set on clean eating for different reasons, I find that cooking your own meals from scratch and with fresh produce makes clean eating pretty easy. The more I cook, the less processed foods I consume and I don't have to even think about it.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Best thing I've read on eating clean....

Quote from Layne Norton

"I find the whole idea of ‘clean eating’ pretentious. What exactly defines a food as ‘clean’? Do you spray windex on it? Rub soap on it? I find it a bit preposterous. I’ve been in debates with people promoting ‘clean eating’ but when I ask for a specific scientific definition of what makes a food ‘clean’ they are silent. I think the restrictive diets where you can only eat a half dozen or so foods are not only unhealthy because they don’t give you a diverse intake of nutrients but I believe they promote eating disorders and binging. I see people who ‘eat clean’ during most of the week and then binge on cheesecake, ice cream, and donuts because it’s a ‘cheat’ meal. Oh yea… that is way healthier than eating ‘unclean’ foods in moderation to a hit a specific macronutrient target. *rolleyes* Now that said, I do believe that many IIFYMers (I find it funny that something myself and others been promoting for years gets an acronym attached to it and is now this ‘new’ way of eating LOL) actually go too far in one direction. Most people who origionally promoted targeting macronutrient intakes instead of obsessing about food choices actually eat ‘clean’ foods 95% of the time, we just don’t agonize over having a homemade burrito with a low carb wrap or some reduced calorie ice cream. We see the value of a controlled intake in order to prevent uncontrolled binging. But I do see IIFYM followers who eat as much sugary, high fat foods as they can and wear it like a badge of honor. That is not the point. If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods. The point is it’s ok to have these foods in small amounts if you are still hitting your goal macronutrient intake."

http://www.shreddedknowledge.com/home/a-talk-with-the-doc-dr-layne-norton/

^^^ Awesome! :drinker: :heart:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Quote from Layne Norton

"I find the whole idea of ‘clean eating’ pretentious. What exactly defines a food as ‘clean’? Do you spray windex on it? Rub soap on it? I find it a bit preposterous. I’ve been in debates with people promoting ‘clean eating’ but when I ask for a specific scientific definition of what makes a food ‘clean’ they are silent. I think the restrictive diets where you can only eat a half dozen or so foods are not only unhealthy because they don’t give you a diverse intake of nutrients but I believe they promote eating disorders and binging. I see people who ‘eat clean’ during most of the week and then binge on cheesecake, ice cream, and donuts because it’s a ‘cheat’ meal. Oh yea… that is way healthier than eating ‘unclean’ foods in moderation to a hit a specific macronutrient target. *rolleyes* Now that said, I do believe that many IIFYMers (I find it funny that something myself and others been promoting for years gets an acronym attached to it and is now this ‘new’ way of eating LOL) actually go too far in one direction. Most people who origionally promoted targeting macronutrient intakes instead of obsessing about food choices actually eat ‘clean’ foods 95% of the time, we just don’t agonize over having a homemade burrito with a low carb wrap or some reduced calorie ice cream. We see the value of a controlled intake in order to prevent uncontrolled binging. But I do see IIFYM followers who eat as much sugary, high fat foods as they can and wear it like a badge of honor. That is not the point. If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods. The point is it’s ok to have these foods in small amounts if you are still hitting your goal macronutrient intake."

I agree with that whole-heartedly as well.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Buffalo, elk, venison, all wonderful lean red meats - I rarely eat beef. :happy:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Tips and advice::
    Learn to cook - you can always add veggies to almost any recipe to make it healthier, less caloies and more filling. (and usually more visually appeasing)

Read labels/ingredient lists - shorter is better
    Look up what you don't know listed on the ingredient list. The whole "if you can't pronounce it" thing is over rated. If it end is "ose" it's sugar.

Don't discount a food simply because it is white. (Regular sugar is better then artifical sweetners, even better is honey.)

Don't be afraid to try new things.

Farmers markets and co-ops are great way to get more veggies.. don't be afraid to ask them how the method they use at thier farm (ie do they practice organic farming?, what pesticides do they use etc.. if they won't answer buy from someone else)

Just do it! Nothing worth it is easy.. remember this and don't give up!

Someone at some point is going to tell you it's unnecessary or your missing out on something. I have just learned to smile and nod, more often then not those are the people who lack energy and are less healthy then I am. So while I bounce out of the gym ready for the rest of the day (lol i more like prance or bound really lol), they are still home trying to wake up. While I can hike all the way to the top of Cheyenne Canyon and do the Incline, they can't even fathom the first step. While they eat thier snickers or ice cream (that I am missing out on apparently) and then are still hungry, I eat double the amount my homemade chocolate banana frozen yogurt ice cream and feel full, happy and satiated. (sp?) and I've consumed less calories and fat then them.

Clean eating has to do with nutrition and health moreso then weight loss. However, if you cut out or severly reduce added sugars, salts and checmicals, you are going to lose weight, provided you don't replace those things with other non-healthy items. You can get fat while eating clean. All you have to do is over do it there are plenty of organic/natural food items that are high calorie. ps.s Natural is not the same as organic.

If your worried about pesticides you might want to look at the "monsanto protection law" just signed last week. Not looking for a debate here, just giving information. Eating certified organic is going to be the only way to avoid it soon.

Remember, jars and cans usually have added chemicals and salt and lots of time you can get the same food fresh and chop it up yourself (esp veggies!!) and they will taste better. Time will be your greatest advasary with this. EVen sauerkraut is easy to make yourself.

Oh yes.. and you don't have to eat 100% clean all the time. I don't worry about it in resturants.. Cause eating out is fun :)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options

Quote from Layne Norton

I agree with that whole-heartedly as well.

I thought clean eating , was "clean" of additives, chemicals, preservatives.etc... not "clean " like clean laundry lmao :laugh:
  • Clynnsky
    Clynnsky Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I cook with salsa all the time!! I love salsa so much that I don't dread boring plain meals! A great meal that my fiance who is a picky eater and I both love is lean turkey meat cooked with a little salsa, a salad and a splash of salsa as the dressing! Crockpot chicken with low-sodium chicken broth and a little water with cabage carrots and green peppers is really good and easy too!! Once you start eating clean you'll find it's easier than you think!! You'll do great! Good luck!!
  • graceylou222
    graceylou222 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    If it spoils, put it in. If it has a shelf life of anything more than a week, pass.

bump! i need to remember this