Running with your dog

Options
1235»

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    well...be prepared for a little humiliation, that's my biggest tip.
    Started running with Gordon, my shepherd...I'm running my *kitten* off thinking about the great burn...I look down to notice he's just barely broken out of walking pace -- and he's yawning. Thanks for the support, *kitten*.

(edited to add - oh yeah he's always leashed. He's a good boy, but you never know...)

This is what happens with my one golden. He has long legs, or at least that's what I tell myself when I look over at him and he's not even trotting!

I use a leash that goes around my waist and has a sort of bungy type of lead on it. That way if he does pull, which he doesn't normally do, he can't pull me down.

I've only had one accident when I was jogging with him. We were passing someone walking a dog and my dog LOVES other dogs. I told him to leave it and he did, until the other dog play bowed at him. Then he spun around to try to play with the other dog and in doing so, he knocked my feet completely out of under me. It hurt. That was before Thanksgiving and I still don't have feeling in my one knee. I can still run without pain, I just can't feel anything touching my knee. I felt like a total doofus, too.
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Use a leash.. wrap it around your hand a couple of times or as much as you need to.. that works

Until your dog see's a squirrel and tears your hand off..

I run with a Labrador and a can of mace. I never had a problem with stray dogs until Jack started running with me, he seems to attract them. Thankfully I haven't had to use it, but I have no problem doing so.

If you have plans on running with your dog during the summer months do it early, or late in the day to avoid hot asphalt.
  • Dustybugger
    Options
    Yes, I know it sounds like common sense, but please do not take your dog out in extreme temperatures. My neighbor decided to run with his dog which was an Alaskan Malamute type of dog in 83 degree heat at 3:00 in the afternoon -- I know dumb, esp because the dog had a full coat of hair -- well the dog passed out, he had to put it in the car to drive it home, gave it ICE WATER, which apparently causes a dog's stomach to swell, and when the guy came back from work, the dog was dead!

Just keep that in mind when it's warm out, your dog is probably hotter.