My overweight picture

Options

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Wow this is definite motivation to ditch scale! Fantastic!
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Wow this is definite motivation to ditch scale! Fantastic!

Yeah ditch it don't get frustrated and just keep pushing
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    In this photo I am "obese". And 14 km in to a 76 km race.

(I'm the one closer to the camera)

B6263EE3-CD35-4BB2-AF79-EFA8A67064EB-8930-00000E9ADD4B72BB_zpsa211b18a.jpg
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    Options
    In this photo I am "obese". And 14 km in to a 76 km race.

(I'm the one closer to the camera)

B6263EE3-CD35-4BB2-AF79-EFA8A67064EB-8930-00000E9ADD4B72BB_zpsa211b18a.jpg

Yeah it's just a whacked system
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    At first I was like, wtf you are fit looking!

But then I finished reading. xD BMI is such a BS thing...so are scales. Thank you for this post. :)
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    Options
    OP, you know you are right on the money!! When I was in the Military, I was 235lbs, and according to my BMI of 30.2, Obese . It was a joke on my Base, as I had around 6-8% BF at all times. I actually had to go to Medical, and get waivered for my promotions ....and was forced to complete a "Fat Boys" program 1 time even ....LOL....

I know the whole system is just screwed and needs to be fixed but hopefully people start ditching the scale and just continue to see what they look like and how they feel
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    Options
    At first I was like, wtf you are fit looking!

But then I finished reading. xD BMI is such a BS thing...so are scales. Thank you for this post. :)

You're welcome I only made this post for people to realize that sometimes numbers aren't important and just keep going
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    Options
    I feel like bumping this
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    This is what I usually have to say:
    BMI - this is for placing groups of sedentary people.
    You - not a group of sedentary people. It's a good guideline if you're sedentary. If you're exercising, well you have no reason to be using the chart.

I've seen 200+ pound women work their butt off literally, to the point of abs galore who become disappointed when the BMI scale tells them they are still obese. They should not rely on this scale. But if you're completely in the dark of what you are, many consider the BMI a satisfactory way of determining the category of a sedentary adult. If someone reading this is one of these people, instead of being down on yourself start looking things up. We're already our own worse critic. The least we can do is make a informed decision about it.

I hope many people see your post. Lookin' good!
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Definitely not overweight-looking at all. BMI stuff is bullsh*t. According to my BMI, I'm obese. But to me, I dont think I look obese at all. *shrug*
  • soundasleepx
    Options
    I think the lines between Obese and Overweight are nowhere NEAR big enough. It always baffles me how someone can be classed as Overweight, and put on ONE pound and magically become Obese. It makes no sense. This also lends a hand to some people who call themselves "Obese" because the internet TOLD them they are. It doesn't make any sense, the measurements are there for a guideline but I would never ever take them without a pinch of salt. I was well into overweight in this picture:

14vigc4.png

But I know SO many people who would have said "You're fine as you are" and I also have had instances of people who are bigger than me becoming offended due to my trying to lose weight. I AM overweight in that picture, but I know that even though I am not drastically overweight I am clinically according to my doctor. Or rather, I was in that picture. That picture was one that motivated me to start losing weight, but sometimes being called "Overweight" by some calculators did more harm than it did good, so it's better to not pay attention to things like that unless you really have health complications.
  • tenkesh
    tenkesh Posts: 81
    Options
    Currently according to BMI I am obese. Even at my top shape with about 10% bodyfat, according to BMI I was overweight. So yeah, BMI is a bit of a BS.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    Options
    I agree, I think I enjoyed posting this picture and making this thread more as motivation I just know how frustrated people get with their weight and BMI and I think it's bs and they shouldn't give up because of some stupid scale or computer system
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to add I don't agree with people when they get upset over hearing that they're over weight or obese. I don't know how many people have went to uproar mode on these forums because someone brought up what they were on paper while trying to give them accurate information to help them. I was there, it didn't offend me, it was true. What's the big problem? I don't understand. If someone was getting plastic surgery because their nose was on sideways and asked for help and someone said we're going to turn your nose like this because it's on sideways, should that person throw a hairy canary? It doesn't make sense.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    Options
    bump
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    Options
    Bump
  • corlas0105
    corlas0105 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The scale does not tell the whole "truth". I am still under the impression that I have to be 132 pounds because that would put me in a "healthy" category instead of an "overweight" category. But I try not to think this way.

Here's why:

day1front-1.jpg
    I am 145 pounds in this picture

I am also 145 in this picture, but look different
    afterinsanity.jpg

Why do we get soooooo obsessed with the scale? I try not to, but it does happen! Good luck to everyone. Muscle weighs more than fat!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I think the original idea of BMI was just to give a rough idea of height to weight ratio etc, however, they did not take into account if somebody did a lot of sport and if so, what sort of activities. It did not take into account the amount of muscle they had or if they had not much at all - they just gave a number and each person had to fit all neat and tidy into one of the squares.

The whole BMI thing just got taken too far.

OP you looked terrific in your photo!
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    Options
    You look great corlas keep up the great work, yeah the scale sucks I try to convince people not to let the scale define or to throw the scale away completely
  • corlas0105
    corlas0105 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You look great corlas keep up the great work, yeah the scale sucks I try to convince people not to let the scale define or to throw the scale away completely

Thanks! Trying to just be healthy and happy. I have not officially thrown the scale away, but it is tucked away and probably dusty by now :wink:

You look great in your "overweight" picture as well....the scale LIES!