Anyone in the military or going to join the military?

Options
dirtyd89
dirtyd89 Posts: 170
I'm joining the U.S Navy.
In the final processing days at MEPS (Military Evaluation & Processing Services) as we speak.
I go back on Tuesday to do a Medical Physical, talk to a Navy Career Adviser and get an official date to go to Basic Training.
Me I live in California so I thought I would of went to RTC (Recruit Training Center) San Diego for Basic Training but I heard it was decommissioned (no longer operational) so looks like I'm heading off to RTC Great Lakes (Chicago, IL).
Looking forward to it.
Hooyah!

Replies

• kzcortes
    kzcortes Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    US Marine Corps.

I don't know if you're conditioned - or how difficult Navy basic training is compared to USMC boot camp - but google "OCS Prep filetype:pdf" and the first link is an 8 week program. Really helped me before I shipped out to get in shape. Good luck. S/F
  • dirtyd89
    Options
    PRT (Physical Readiness Test) for the Navy isn't that difficult.
    All you have to do is push ups, ab curls and run 1.5 miles in 13 minutes or under.
    Right now I can run 4 miles in 24 minutes and do 100 push ups/100 ab curls.
    I'm more then prepared to go.
    I've been at it for several months preparing.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I am prior service, if that counts. I was in the USAR from 2000 to 2004 and in active ready reserve for 2 years after that. I did basic training at FT Jackson SC and AIT FT Leonardwood MI... AIT mixed Navy, Marines, and army
  • dirtyd89
    Options
    @Serena:
    Yeah it counts.
    Once a troop always a troop.
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    HOOAH :D
  • shelbyterry5
    shelbyterry5 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm joining the army :) 5 pounds away from my weight to get to MEPS!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is push ups, ab curls and run 1.5 miles in 13 minutes or under.

You say the PRT isn't hard but most people don't do it right.

Push-ups... Remember, they have to break the plane... You're almost touching the ground.
    Sit ups, nobody calls them ab curls, are easy since you only have to touch the bottom of your thigh.

4 miles in 24 minutes is really impressive but 1.5 in 13 minutes is not... Got a pretty big disparity there.

Good luck though, hope you like Great Lakes, I hated it. What's your rate going to be or what do you want?

RTC San Diego has be gone for a LONG time.
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    I did 30 push ups and only 19 were countable so yes.. very tricky. I know I couldn't do 10 real push ups now. But I can do a hella lot of the cheater push ups ahaha.

The run was the hardest for me. 2 miles in 18 mins... I was a terrible runner. I managed to be down to 16 min 2 mile after AIT though. I can still run well (10 min miles) not great but OK.

I always maxed sit ups... before "training" girls always commented on my abs. Guess those are natural :D
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've been in the Navy 16+ years.....the first 13 on active duty, the last 3 in the reserves. If you have any questions, shoot me a note on here and I'll try to give you good information.....
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    looks like I'm heading off to RTC Great Lakes (Chicago, IL).

Ah yes, good 'ole Great Mistakes. Count your blessings you aren't there in winter, like I was. Never shoveled so much snow in my life. You on the other hand, should be there for just the right season....not too hot, not too cold. What job field did the recruiter lie to you about.....er, promise you :wink:
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    looks like I'm heading off to RTC Great Lakes (Chicago, IL).

Ah yes, good 'ole Great Mistakes. Count your blessings you aren't there in winter, like I was. Never shoveled so much snow in my life. You on the other hand, should be there for just the right season....not too hot, not too cold. What job field did the recruiter lie to you about.....er, promise you :wink:

I was there in the winter as well, the snow didn't bother me so much but the wind was TERRIBLE. Spending a year there sucked! I mean it was AWESOME!
  • dirtyd89
    Options
    @mrphil86:
    I'm still looking over all of my options.
    I had a several ideas of what I'd like to do.
    Rate: I was told because I scored pretty good on the ASVAB and have some college background I could graduate basic as an E-3 (Seaman).
    MOS:
    1.) V.B.S.S (Vessel. Board. Search. Seizure.)
    2.) Aviation
    3.) Fire, Emergency & Rescue
    4.) Gunner's Mate
    (ASVAB Score: 55) = I was told I didn't qualify for only (3) things Nuclear Submarines, Engineering and Intelligence.
  • dirtyd89
    Options
    @Tanoka:
    Actually my recruiters are pretty cool and straight forward about what their doing.
    I'd say the only lie I heard was by the CNO telling me to pick any job because of the Navy cut backs.
    Truthfully I don't buy it.
    Also if they were having cut backs they wouldn't be recruiting more people into the Navy.
    Yeah I'm sure the enlistment requirements are higher then what they were in the past but it's not stopping people from joining.
  • honey_bee_keysha
    honey_bee_keysha Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I plan to join the army once I finish nursing school.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Whats up?
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Active duty Air Force officer here. Just hit my 4 year mark and agreed to a new assignment for another 2 years. :)
  • Maracuya77
    Options
    I'm trying to lose weight so I can join today, even though I'm 27. Whether it's active duty, reserves or guard, I want it to be in my future. Thanks to all those who served.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I know alot of people that have gone to Great Lakes! Definitely be happy you aren't there in the winter. I'm originally from Wisconsin so...ya...I know snow!

If you get the chance, check out Gurnee Mills mall. Six Flags Great America is right there too. Definitely have your folks stay near Gurnee if they come to graduation...there's a ton to do. Not too sure about boot camp... I'm bias...my husband was a Marine. :wink:
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Active duty Air Force officer here. Just hit my 4 year mark and agreed to a new assignment for another 2 years. :)

JAGs don't count just kidding don't court martial me!
  • Zobby85
    Zobby85 Posts: 4
    Options
    I was in the U.S. Navy for 4 years, been out for about a year now. Have fun in great lakes, if you have any questions about the navy or boot camp I would be happy to answer them!