Anyone in the military or going to join the military?

Options

Replies

• AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Tiny bubbles...in my beer. Makes me happy!!!!

Good luck to you Seaman...hope your last name isn't Splatter. ; )

I'm prior service also...my drive to work early in the morning consists of 10MPH drives passing marching troops singing their cadences...
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options

I'm prior service also...my drive to work early in the morning consists of 10MPH drives passing marching troops singing their cadences...

Yeah, doesn't driving on military installations suck?
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    US Air Force, just passed my 14 year mark. PCSing soon to Florida, so excited!
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

Yeah, doesn't driving on military installations suck?

If I am running late yeah, but for the most part it's a very short drive and the sound of cadence being sung hits a good spot for me. So I kind of enjoy it.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I would say cross fit would get you most ready for basic. Though I was in the Army in the 90's. I would say Chair Force, and Navy would be allot easier. The Army, Coast Guard, and Marines would be about equal. Though Jar heads will beg to differ due to brain washing and stretching the truth. lol
  • leejusd
    leejusd Posts: 81
    Options
    My recruiters did nothing but feed me lies...
    Thats their job.

I've got 8.5 years active Air Force, Air Guard now with 4.5 years in. Currently deployed.
    The Air Force is almost the military right? We make fun of ourselves!!
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I was Chair Force, but I had a real job. =D

I would still be in if I hadn't gotten hurt.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    @mrphil86:
    I'm still looking over all of my options.
    I had a several ideas of what I'd like to do.
    Rate: I was told because I scored pretty good on the ASVAB and have some college background I could graduate basic as an E-3 (Seaman).
    MOS:
    1.) V.B.S.S (Vessel. Board. Search. Seizure.)
    2.) Aviation
    3.) Fire, Emergency & Rescue
    4.) Gunner's Mate
    (ASVAB Score: 55) = I was told I didn't qualify for only (3) things Nuclear Submarines, Engineering and Intelligence.
    After I took the test for entrance to the Marine Corps, the Navy wanted me for Nuclear Sub school, but it was a 6 year commitment, At 17, 6 years seemed an eternity. The absolute best job; Air Traffic Control. Short school, great duty assingments, high re-enlistment bonuses, and big bucks when you get out. Trust me; it's the best job.

I'd argue that IT is a better rate for all those. Has TONS of billet options, also has a short A school but lots of great C schools, always has a re-up bonus, and tons of civilian certs which gets you a great paying job as well. Not to mention advancement is awesome. If I could have gone back, I would be an IT.

Instead I'm an ET with crappy advancement. Still love it though because I get everything else. :)

EDIT: Oh, don't say MOS. We don't have those silly things in the Navy. You'll likely get shot at bootcamp if you say that. They are called NEC's which are kinda like a secondary but your primary job is called your Rate.
  • mrphil86
    Options
    Dont expect to come in as anything but an E1, i was promised E3 straight out of boot camp and i even had signed paperwork saying it and i never got it. My RDC's looked at me and laughed!! Dont become a corpsman unless you are really good at obtaining lots of information about a very wide variety of things, even things that have absolutely nothing to do with you job. You will only advance from taking an exam...
    @mrphil86:
    I'm still looking over all of my options.
    I had a several ideas of what I'd like to do.
    Rate: I was told because I scored pretty good on the ASVAB and have some college background I could graduate basic as an E-3 (Seaman).
    MOS:
    1.) V.B.S.S (Vessel. Board. Search. Seizure.)
    2.) Aviation
    3.) Fire, Emergency & Rescue
    4.) Gunner's Mate
    (ASVAB Score: 55) = I was told I didn't qualify for only (3) things Nuclear Submarines, Engineering and Intelligence.

Sounds like someone obviously did you wrong. I got my E3 in bootcamp... RDC doesn't decide that, the CCC's in Bootcamp do. RDC's aren't even allowed in that room.

Everyone advances off the exam unless you are capped so I'm not sure why you are complaining about that.
  • J3ss1caD
    J3ss1caD Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Active Duty Air Force here :)
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I want to, but they said I was to old. booo!:frown:
  • J3ss1caD
    J3ss1caD Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've been in the Air Force for three years or so. I work in intel and it's generally pretty awesome, but I've come to the conclusion that I would probably not like having a normal military job.

I'm INTEL TOO!!! So weird.. I just mfp stalked you.. and see we're in the same area too. lol
  • srey0701
    srey0701 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Active duty Navy here! Going on five years and loving it!
  • mrphil86
    Options
    Active duty Navy here! Going on five years and loving it!

Rate?
  • charman99
    charman99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Was in the Army for 4.5 years till I fell off a tank and broke my shoulder...
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    Recently retired AF here. I turned 26-years-old in basic training. I've had the pleasure of spending about half of my time in a joint environment. Nothing against the other branches, but some of coolest people I was deployed with in Iraq were Navy officers. I wish you the best and thank you for choosing to serve the best country on earth!
  • KevinS62
    KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm joining the U.S Navy.
    In the final processing days at MEPS (Military Evaluation & Processing Services) as we speak.
    I go back on Tuesday to do a Medical Physical, talk to a Navy Career Adviser and get an official date to go to Basic Training.
    Me I live in California so I thought I would of went to RTC (Recruit Training Center) San Diego for Basic Training but I heard it was decommissioned (no longer operational) so looks like I'm heading off to RTC Great Lakes (Chicago, IL).
    Looking forward to it.
    Hooyah!

I'll say you made a good choice, but I'm biased. I retired from the Navy as a Master Chief and actually did my recruit training at RTC in San Diego, twenty-some years ago. I still have quite a few memories from it. One thing I remember to this day, was meeting a Senior Chief during the first days of boot camp that told me, "You will get from the Navy, what you put into it." For the next 21 years, I lived by that statement. It was true. No secret decoder ring needed. Good luck to ya!
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    were you a mechanic? When I was in women were not allowed in combat arms roles.
    Was in the Army for 4.5 years till I fell off a tank and broke my shoulder...
  • GoldspursX3
    GoldspursX3 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Active Duty Army NCO here. Just hit 12 years.

You'll know in your first term if the military is right for you or not. Some people can hack it, some people get sent OCS (on city streets).
  • mrphil86
    Options
    Active Duty Army NCO here. Just hit 12 years.

You'll know in your first term if the military is right for you or not. Some people can hack it, some people get sent OCS (on city streets).

Lol OCS does not mean that in the Navy/Marine Core so that lil saying don't work... It would be awesome to be sent to Officer Candidate School. :P