Tattoos in the work place.

Options

Replies

• super_fast
    Options
    WE WORK IN AN OFFICE THAT IS MORE LIKE A 5TH GRADE CLASSROOM. I THINK EVERYONE HERE IS TAT'ED UP!
  • AboutT1ME
    AboutT1ME Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i got mine on my leg so i wouldn't be harassed at a job site, they are allowed at my current job but at a future job i don't know.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    there is a guy around town here that has spiderwebs tattooed all over his face. i think that once you enter a tattoo parlor to get tattoos on your face, you are pretty much knowingly eliminating yourself for a multitude of employment opportunities.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I work in IT and business, visible tattoos are a HUGE no-no in my opinion. I don't care if you get tattoos, I have one that I wish I had never gotten, but I personally don't like them. Regardless of my personal opinion though, they aren't accepted in the business community and getting something visible (tattoo or gauging your ears or nose rings, etc...) shows me that you have poor judgement if this is the environment you want to work in. It's just a matter of knowing where you are going to be working and what's acceptable and visible tattoos are not something that is acceptable in a business community and getting them and wanting to work in this environment shows me you aren't forward thinking.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I work at a law firm. I have a tattoo on my stomach which is always covered, of course, and a small one on my wrist, which is almost always visible. No one has ever said a word to me about it. The two girls at our front desk both have tattoos; one has a wreath of flowers around her ankle and wears skirts or capris, the other has a half sleeve which is often at least partially visible. If I were interviewing someplace I would cover my tattoo, just to be on the safe side.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    My line of work is very much up to the people that run the place (practice managers mostly, but sometimes the doctors). Where I did my extern, no one cared. It actually helped break the ice with a lot of patients because my tattoos are hard to decipher (one is in french, one just looks like a bunch of swirls if you don't know what you're looking for lol). Even with the older people who are said to supposedly have a problem, there was never an issue. My patients loved me because I'm good at what I do, they never judged me because I have a couple tats. There are a lot of places, though, that make you cover them. Its really a toss-up.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I work in IT and business, visible tattoos are a HUGE no-no in my opinion. I don't care if you get tattoos, I have one that I wish I had never gotten, but I personally don't like them. Regardless of my personal opinion though, they aren't accepted in the business community and getting something visible (tattoo or gauging your ears or nose rings, etc...) shows me that you have poor judgement if this is the environment you want to work in. It's just a matter of knowing where you are going to be working and what's acceptable and visible tattoos are not something that is acceptable in a business community and getting them and wanting to work in this environment shows me you aren't forward thinking.

What do you consider to be a business environment?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I agree but as the older generation retires and the X, Y generation starts taking over the power, tattoos and piercings will become more acceptable. The only time I notice a tattoo is when it is hideous most of the time they just blend in with the rest of the tattooed pierced people.
  • RunWinterGarden
    Options

What do you consider to be a business environment?

I work in at my client's office, or I take clients out to dinners or we do vendor golf outings, etc....
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I recently retired from the motorcycle industry. Tattoos are allowed as long as they are not offensive. I did have to fire a young lady who showed up on her first day sporting a brand new swastika. I told her to keep it covered. She did not. I had 2 complaints before lunch. I reminded her again. Next day she did not cover it (we provided the cover) so I terminated her employment.
  • laurynashley1
    Options
    I am employed by a very conservative company in the midwest but I work for a community foundation. (It's complicated). The official ruling in the offices is no visible tattoos, no facial piercings. My tattoo is on my torso so no worries of it showing, but I do have my nose pierced. I put in a clear stud for the interview not knowing how my boss would feel about it but I've been wearing a rhinestone stud since I started in October and no one has said anything to me, not even the president or CEO of the company. It's fairly small, and I figure the old conservatives that I deal with are half-blind and won't be able to see it anyway. On the weekends I wear a hoop but I wouldn't push the limits at work because that one IS obvious. I like doing small things that can change people's perceptions of tattoos and piercings. I'm pretty clean cut and professional but I have a tattoo and facial piercing, it can be disorienting when you aren't expecting it.
  • CupcakesAndRazorblades
    Options
    tattoos in the workplace should be mandatory everywhere.

Just sayin'.

lol unless they made you get a company one, no thanks! All my ink is hidden and I get the "you don't look like someone who has tattoos" a lot, whatever that is supposed to mean. I work in a restaurant front on the house people have to cover up but back of the house has more freedom because we don't directly deal with customers.
  • dirtyd89
    dirtyd89 Posts: 170
    Options
    I think for professional reasons you shouldn't have tattoos that go past the shirt sleeve.
    Me personally I don't care where you get your tattoos just like I said it's just precaution advice.
  • laurynashley1
    Options

I think there is a boundary when it comes to piercings and tattoos in a business environment. They should be tasteful and not overdone. I think one lip ring, one nose ring, tattoos on the arms, legs, torsos are acceptable if you present yourself in a professional manner. Wearing clean, ironed business attire, keeping your hair groomed, not slouching or using slang, curse words etc. But if you have an extreme number of facial/ear peircings, too large of gauges, tattoos covering your hands, neck, face, etc. then that is a professional boundary that you have crossed. You can't always play to other people's rules because then society and humanity will fail to grow. But you also need to know the acceptable limits. Knowing when pushing the limit becomes crossing the line.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Also, I don't know if it's just me, but I would never EVER turn down a good opportunity because I'd have to cover the one tattoo that shows. If someone wanted to hire me, pay me 18 bucks an hour, and had room for advancement, but wanted me to keep my wrist tat covered? Bet your sweet *kitten* I'm keeping that ****er covered! lol
  • RunWinterGarden
    Options

I think there is a boundary when it comes to piercings and tattoos in a business environment. They should be tasteful and not overdone. I think one lip ring, one nose ring, tattoos on the arms, legs, torsos are acceptable if you present yourself in a professional manner. Wearing clean, ironed business attire, keeping your hair groomed, not slouching or using slang, curse words etc. But if you have an extreme number of facial/ear peircings, too large of gauges, tattoos covering your hands, neck, face, etc. then that is a professional boundary that you have crossed. You can't always play to other people's rules because then society and humanity will fail to grow. But you also need to know the acceptable limits. Knowing when pushing the limit becomes crossing the line.

I don't disagree with you that someone can have what you mention and be professional. But my clients might disagree with you and if I can't send you out on an engagement and make you billable because of whatever outdated or conservative opinions they may have then I can't hire you. It's honestly no different than if you were to come to an interview in shorts and a t-shirt, it shows me that you aren't really serious about working in the industry I work in. I hope in time that will change, but until then you have to conform to what the standards of the most conservative of businesses/offices if you don't want to put hurdles in your way.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I've worked in places were all ink had to be covered and the only piercings allowed were small single ear ones. Now, I work mainly from home, but I do a few hours at a large retail store and at a Harley dealership. Obviously, my tattoos are no big thing at the Harley dealer, but there's still a dress code at the retail store. I'm technically supposed to cover my arm tattoo, but no one enforces it. Not to mention there's a ton of exposed ink. They still get fussy with piercings.

It doesn't really bug me. It's their sandbox. :)

No one, to my knowledge has complained about my ink. I *do* get people reaching out and touching me and moving my sleeve up to see what I have without asking, which is a little annoying.
  • angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I work at a job that doesn't discriminate against tattoos. Hell, I can work with my ear pincher/plugs in. Or as some people call them "gauges". I've had guests compliment my art work and ask if I planned on going bigger on my ears. I always tell them I'm satisfied with how they are. I'm at a 2G pincher, and I think it looks fine the way it is.
    The thing is I got lucky with this job. I'm lucky that tattoos are not viewed as criminal here.

What I don't understand is companies will hire drugheads, people with no common sense or morals and people who are just unfit for work mentally, yet if you have a visible tattoo, it's obviously going to affect your performance. For Gods' sake what is the issue with ink being on your skin especially if it means something to you?
    I feel the saying, "Judge a book not by it's cover, but by what the pages tell you" has no true meaning anymore.

I understand people want you to look professional and all, but I can easily do that as seen in one of my pictures (disregarding the cigarette hanging out of my mouth).
    There is honestly nothing unprofessional about a tattoo. I can guarantee that, unless the tattoo is of a child before slaughtered by a cow for revenge. Get real, people.
    How professional are drug needle track marks on an arm? How professional is someone bringing their children to the work place because the childs' father is too busy off having relations with her family members?

Anyways, the point of this thread before I got heated up by the thought of this was this.

Are your tattoos allowed to show in your line of work?
    What compliments/complaints have you received about your artwork?

PS: Apologies for the rant. I just feel for the people who have to hide their skin stories.

I'd say sticking large metal objects into your head doesn't exactly scream common sense.

Most companies want workers that represent the company in a clean professional manner, not people who self mutilate for attention.
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I work for a business unit in broadcast television. I'm at the global head quarters so its super corporate and tattoos and piercings are frowned upon in the executive floors. I basically have a half sleeve on my upper left arm and the tail of the koi peeks out on casual Friday. I see some of the same executives at the corporate gym so they know I have ink.. they just don't want to see it on the office floor. I know a couple of guys have full sleeves and they have to wear long sleeve shirts even in the summer. One of the girls had to always wear scarfs or turtle necks, or have her hair cover a tat on her neck.

I don't see what the big deal is... everybody has tats now a days, they're an expression of personality.. not a gang affiliation.
    But I can understand the discomfort of a business having representatives with ink everywhere and/or with large piercings. Business is all bout image so it's just good risk management to keep that out. I think if you're making a choice to work in the business sector, very visible piercings and tats are probably not the best choice.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm in the military, almost everyone is tattooed we don't need to hide ours but we do have rules that say they can't be offensive and that we should consult with our officers in charge before getting our face tattooed.

Not sure what branch you're in, but tattoos are not to be visible while in dress uniform.