Any heavy lifters with breast implants?

Options

Replies

• sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

I'm sorry to have made you feel insecure or bad about yourself, it was certainly not my intention.

-- Everyone makes their own personal decisions about these things (and about weight loss and diet in general) so I guess I wonder what's the point in being part of a community that takes offence at other people's decision to celebrate their body or their decisions. On the other hand... meh, it's the internet, eh?

You're just making it worse. Your yay woot I'm au natural was offensive. If it's meh, just the internet, why dont you just leave it alone?

IME, your PS will give you the best advice. I found that I went back too quickly and set myself back, However, my surgery was a little more complicated since it was reconstruction.

While I am back 95%, there are things I may never do well again. I won't do chest presses (I miss them!), and I no longer do push ups. That was just my line in the sand. Everyone's different. Mine are partially submuscular w/alloderm.

As long as you've done your research, trust your PS and understand there may be complications, you should do well. I bet you'll be happy with them when they're done. I miss my originals, but I do love my recon.
  • celticmedic
    celticmedic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you take enough time off to heal completely. Last thing you want to do is pull the sutures out or things of that nature. I wouldn't worry too much on losing much muscle mass in the weeks of recovery. Most likely you will be weaker anyways just from the surgery itself. Take your time and definitely don't over do it to soon. Just my thoughts anyways.
  • nyla2120
    nyla2120 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice, helpful links, etc. I didn't ask anyone for specific medical advice, like I said before I just wanted to get people's experiences. I think it's actually very good to not only talk to my Dr., but also people who have been through the surgery & find out what it was like for them. I'm not saying I'm taking anyone's advice here over my Dr.'s lol! I never said things like "How long are you supposed to wait." I asked how long people waited & if they had any issues losing muscle mass. I never once asked anyone for actual medical advice, so know the difference. Anyway, I'm all set for surgery on May 9th & I'm super excited! I'll be working out as much as possible leading up to the date, because I know I will be out of commission for a while. Thanks again to everyone who was helpful :smile:
  • iborissova
    Options
    Just wanted to throw in from my personal experience be careful on stretching too much in the first few days, I got mine under the muscle and busted an internal stitch trying to stretch, not fun! I went back to work bartending in about a week. As far as for lifting wait a few weeks and then start light and work your way up :) I don't train chest because I find that makes them drift a little further apart but that's a personal decision. Also if you're a swimmer that will feel very very weird for months. Best of luck in your recovery. :)
  • theironpenguin
    Options
    I just want this to appear in my thread :) Carry on.

^^this

Me too I'm also up to an A cup so don't need surgery ;)
  • beebop85
    beebop85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    "Exactly. It's really rude actually. I'm not someone who has small boobs & just wants them bigger. I wouldn't mind having small & cute breasts, but that's not the case. Without going into detail, they are basically deformed looking & It's something that has always bothered me, but I've never been in a place where I could afford to have it fixed. Now I am so I am treating myself, I've worked very hard on my body to lose weight & tone up & I want to feel proud when I look in the mirror, not self conscious & ashamed."
    [/quote]

I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best, how amazing that you are able to fix something that has always bothered you you must be so excited and Im sure you will look and feel amazing afterwards :)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting and big breasts?

Are you married?
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Honestly... ask a surgeon.. why are you asking strangers on the internet? With any MAJOR SURGERY, working out is pretty much off the table for weeks!! I don't know anyone who has had a surgery and worked out right away after.. you won't lose muscle mass. Just relax, take it easy and recover right the first time.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    And sorry if that comes off as rude.. I'm just fairly straight up. Breast implants, tummy tucks, c-sections.. all serious operations where recovery is paramount.. if there is anything you take out of any message here is (go see a doctor lol) that you are going to have to lay off major exercise/lifting regime during recover. I imagine walking will be OK after a few weeks but breast surgery is not something I've ever have or plan to have so it's best to ask the surgeon you plan on having do your work.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm not speaking from experience. Woot woot to au-naturale!
    Reasons for breast surgery are many and while a lot of men claim they like "natural" breasts, most people could not tell a well done boob job apart from the 'au naturale'.

My mom had a boob job because she ended up with one and a half boobs after breast surgery, my sister had breast reduction surgery to help her with back pains and a friend had surgery because her one breast was nearly two cups bigger than the other which was causing a load of back problems on her and she could not find a bra to fit &had to wear padding on the other side. Most breast surgery is not done to get "nicer" boobs. Don't just assume, it may offend people who don't have a choice.

Exactly. It's really rude actually. I'm not someone who has small boobs & just wants them bigger. I wouldn't mind having small & cute breasts, but that's not the case. Without going into detail, they are basically deformed looking & It's something that has always bothered me, but I've never been in a place where I could afford to have it fixed. Now I am so I am treating myself, I've worked very hard on my body to lose weight & tone up & I want to feel proud when I look in the mirror, not self conscious & ashamed.

Woah now, that got out of hand really fast. I was just saying that while I know about exercising after major surgery (spinal fusion for the win) I don't know about exercise recommendations after that particular surgery. I have no problem with breast augmentation or breast surgery and I don't think anything I said was rude!

Then I misunderstood. I thought you were basically criticizing me for not being proud of being natural.
    "Woot woot to au-naturale!"

hmm... to me it sounds just offensive.

I think you may all be taking this a little personally....note how she gave advice....THEN realised to mention how hers are natural and yes she's proud but no did she never make the assumption that anything less isn't good enough !!

take it easy, have a morning coffee and let it go ! boobs are boobs, she merely forgot to mention she hasn't actually had the op.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    And sorry if that comes off as rude.. I'm just fairly straight up. Breast implants, tummy tucks, c-sections.. all serious operations where recovery is paramount.. if there is anything you take out of any message here is (go see a doctor lol) that you are going to have to lay off major exercise/lifting regime during recover. I imagine walking will be OK after a few weeks but breast surgery is not something I've ever have or plan to have so it's best to ask the surgeon you plan on having do your work.

Ok, apparently you didn't read anything I actually said.
  • clairemwalsh
    Options
    I don't have implants but two of my best friends do (figure athletes). Both over the muscle, both lift SERIOUS weight but did have to take it pretty easy for a while. Have a look at the t-nation thread on this ...search for breast implants- and there's some excellent advice.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Actually I did.... just saying, it's common sense but apparently not since you have created a thread and asked questions here instead of the surgeon who will be doing your op. To me, there's really no point asking if anyone here is a lifter with breast implants because no matter the answer, no one is going to tell you they went back to a heavy routine 5 weeks after surgery..
  • nyla2120
    Options

Actually I did.... just saying, it's common sense but apparently not since you have created a thread and asked questions here instead of the surgeon who will be doing your op. To me, there's really no point asking if anyone here is a lifter with breast implants because no matter the answer, no one is going to tell you they went back to a heavy routine 5 weeks after surgery..

No you didn't. Because once again for the 100th time, I asked nobody for medical advice. I didn't even ask anything like "How long are you supposed to wait." I asked what their personal experiences were like. If you see where I asked for their opinions over my Dr., feel free to quote me. But, don't tell me what I have & not not discussed with my surgeon, you obviously weren't there so don't assume. And I didn't expect anyone to tell me they went back after 5 weeks. I'm going into something that should not be taken lightly, so I don't see how it's wrong or stupid of me not to gather as much information as possible.
  • nyla2120
    Options
    I don't have implants but two of my best friends do (figure athletes). Both over the muscle, both lift SERIOUS weight but did have to take it pretty easy for a while. Have a look at the t-nation thread on this ...search for breast implants- and there's some excellent advice.

I'll do that, thanks so much!
  • nyla2120
    Options
    "Exactly. It's really rude actually. I'm not someone who has small boobs & just wants them bigger. I wouldn't mind having small & cute breasts, but that's not the case. Without going into detail, they are basically deformed looking & It's something that has always bothered me, but I've never been in a place where I could afford to have it fixed. Now I am so I am treating myself, I've worked very hard on my body to lose weight & tone up & I want to feel proud when I look in the mirror, not self conscious & ashamed."

I wish you a speedy recovery and all the best, how amazing that you are able to fix something that has always bothered you you must be so excited and Im sure you will look and feel amazing afterwards :)
    [/quote]

Thank you so much! I'm counting down!
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Hello-

A friend of mine let me know there was someone on here with questions about this topic. I asked the same questions back in Feb. before mine. I had a very "aggressive" BA, consisting of a LOT of skin removal, lift, and implant on March 5th. Prior to that I worked out every single day (running, P90x, turbo fire...etc...). I had your SAME worries (still do, actually).

Because of the severity of my BA, my doctor wouldn't even let me take a walk for exercise until 3 weeks after the surgery and he said I could start running after 8 weeks and at that same time BEGIN lifting again, slowly.

Tuesday marked week 4 for me. The most I have done is take a walk (4.0mph), a max of 4 miles. I'm really hopeing I feel good enough to run May 1st!

As for lifting...there is no way I could do any lifting now. For a couple weeks after my surgery, I couldn't even open a jar of jelly. My implants were placed under the muscle so obviously that area was all cut and sewed back together. It took 3 weeks before I could wash my own hair and do a good job (I have long, thick hair). My arms are still sore...if this makes sense, it's the area between my arm pit and breasts. My incissions are still sore as well, but improving.

As far as muscle mass, sometimes I think the gap between my legs is closing and my arms are not as defined, or it's in my head. I don't want to take and compare pictures because I'm afraid of what I'll see. As for weight, I've gained about 5 pounds in the past month, however, I'm not very good with my food intake....I rely heavily on exercise to help me shed pounds.

For me, the proceedure was worth it. Even if you lose some muscle or even gain a pound or two of fat, you can get back to where you were in no time. I'm trying to not get down about my body taking some steps back- I love my new boobs!!! and my body will be back to rocking in no time once I'm healed.

My doctor was in Florida and I live in Wisconsin, so I'm trying to be extra cautious since visiting him for a check-up is no longer an option.

Good luck! FR me....we can keep in touch about our progress. I'm no expert considering I'm only 4 weeks into this.

Thank you for sharing this with me. I think if I can just maintain my diet during recovery I should be good. However I'm one of those people who tends to eat when they are bored & obviously I'm going to be home & not able to to anything for a while so I'm trying to mentally prepare myself & stock up on some good books & movies to keep me entertained. I'm getting gel implants under the muscle with a slight lift. So I know it's going to be pretty intense, but I will be sure to share my experience & progress as well :wink:
  • nyla2120
    Options
    Just wanted to throw in from my personal experience be careful on stretching too much in the first few days, I got mine under the muscle and busted an internal stitch trying to stretch, not fun! I went back to work bartending in about a week. As far as for lifting wait a few weeks and then start light and work your way up :) I don't train chest because I find that makes them drift a little further apart but that's a personal decision. Also if you're a swimmer that will feel very very weird for months. Best of luck in your recovery. :)

Mine will be under the muscle as well, I hope my Husband won't mind washing my hair for a while lol! I'll be going back to work about 10 days after the surgery, but I don't have a job where I do a lot of physical activity luckily. Thanks for sharing.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    For me, it was 2-3 weeks until I started doing cardio and lighter lower body stuff, 6-8 weeks until I got back to my routine. I also had a lift, which is a lot more invasive than the usual implants. I didn't really lose anything, I got back to normal pretty quick without any issues. Remember you will definitely gain a ton of water after surgery, so don't depress yourself and get on the scale!!! :laugh:

To this day I don't do any chest lifting, like bench. I still do some pushups, and certain compound lifts involve chest anyway, but I don't do any isolated chest movements. I don't like the way it feels personally, but I know many people go back to doing that no problems.

Good luck! So exciting!!!!
  • nyla2120
    Options
    For me, it was 2-3 weeks until I started doing cardio and lighter lower body stuff, 6-8 weeks until I got back to my routine. I also had a lift, which is a lot more invasive than the usual implants. I didn't really lose anything, I got back to normal pretty quick without any issues. Remember you will definitely gain a ton of water after surgery, so don't depress yourself and get on the scale!!! :laugh:

To this day I don't do any chest lifting, like bench. I still do some pushups, and certain compound lifts involve chest anyway, but I don't do any isolated chest movements. I don't like the way it feels personally, but I know many people go back to doing that no problems.

Good luck! So exciting!!!!

Thank you for sharing, I will be sure to avoid the scale for a while lol! It's funny, the only area I don't work on my body anyway is my chest. I tend to build muscle quite easily, so when I used to work my chest I started getting this definition that started to look like pecks lol! My husband pointed it out & ever since then I do no chest work.