Peanut Butter

Options

Replies

• Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Don't like the taste or texture of it. I will eat chocolate with peanuts though or peanut punch but no peanut butter anything.... lol. Don't have anything against the people who eat it though :-). Hey, I eat eggs with ketchup!
  • tattedlady75
    tattedlady75 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    O, I will definitely second the homemade peanut butter. I love it soooo much. Also this way I know exactly what is in it. I use roasted peanuts in the shell, the fresher the better. Shell them of course and put into a food processor with a little bit of honey. My son likes his with a bit of cocoa
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Love it. I eat a TB every day of regular old Jif on whole wheat toast or english muffin. I don't see any issues with it and I've lost weight while doing so. I love it and since eating it every day I don't feel deprived
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Eat almost a 1/4 cup a day. Love it. especially these...

DSC_0098.jpg

my favorite brand!!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    On the show The Doctors they said peanut butter is good for you in moderation and ONLY If the ingredient list just says Peanuts and nothing else. Of course organic.

Beat it you.
    Don't like the taste or texture of it. I will eat chocolate with peanuts though or peanut punch but no peanut butter anything.... lol. Don't have anything against the people who eat it though :-). Hey, I eat eggs with ketchup!

And you

Hahahaha! I'll pinch my nose and try and swallow a tsp of peanut butter down to be friends with you awesome peanut butter eaters. Can I stay now? ;-)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    So I'm starting the debate over peanut butter because I'm truely curious about why it is bad or why it is good! I know that to much of anything is not good for you so I'm curious as to what the wonderful ppl of MFP's message boards have to say. Let me know why you LOVE it and can't live without it. Or why you detest it and wil never eat it again!!! And..............GO!

First off, food is neither inherently good or bad...food is food...it is fuel for your body. Some foods are more nutrient dense than other foods, but foods are neither inherently good or bad...this is what drives me nuts with the "dieters" mentality. Whether a food is deemed good or bad seems to be largely dependent on; 1) If it's high calorie (bad right?), or 2.) if it's high in fat (bad right?)

Wrong on both accounts. Calories have nothing to do with the nutritional properties of a particular food. Yes, junk food can be very high calorie and generally lacking in nutritional value...you don't get much bang for your caloric buck. But, nutritionally dense, wholesome foods can also be high calorie. Avocados, olive oil, and nuts (and nut butters like peanut butter) are prime examples of nutrient dense foods that are also calorie dense..and also...OMG...high in fat!!!!

Bringing me to point number two...the 80s are over. Dietary fat does not make you fat. Consuming more calories than you burn makes you fat. Fat is an essential nutrient...far more than our precious carbohydrates. The fats in things like avocados, olive oil, and nuts are very healthy for the heart and help combat heart disease...they're also important to brain function and the your nervous system. The only correlation between dietary fat and weight gain is the fact that it's easy to over consume calories if you have a diet that is high in fat because fats are calorie dense.
  • fdny9943
    fdny9943 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    PB like anything else can be eaten in moderation. Just watch the fat content. Good source of protein and I have heard there is something called PB2 that you mix together with water and it tastes just like the real thing. I am a PB addict! Skippy Super Chunky please!!!!!

I am not on a diet, I can't live on a diet. I eat whatever I want in moderation and make allowances for it.

So now if I want pizza it's one maybe 2 slices where before I could have eaten 6-8 slices (whole pie).

I could down half a huge jar of Skippy with a spoon but now I measure out 2 tablespoons.

The secret is more calories burned than what you put in. I know some will scoff at me and say you have to watch fats and carbs and everything but this is just what works for me and I think 150+ pounds lost shows it is working.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    This thread makes me want to cry. I loved peanut butter and ate it as a grew up. I used to love it with jam in a sandwich or sometimes in a toasted sandwich.

Anyway, the day came some time in the last 2 years where I found it was giving me indigestion. Now I can't eat peanuts at all as the pain is to much.

My fav food gone forever! I have tried meridian cashewnut butter but found it a bit sickly. I'd love to try almond butter but don't want to spend a few pounds on a smallish jar in case I don't like it.
  • bpe101
    bpe101 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Eat almost a 1/4 cup a day. Love it. especially these...

DSC_0098.jpg

some of those sound amazing!

These look aweeeesomeeeeeee!

Guess I was to late in praising them with my link above. Either way, this is the nuts. I eat 4-5 tbls per day

This is the only brand I eat. They are amazing. I love the DARK CHOCOLATE DREAMS on bananas. I eat it twice a day, everyday!
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I like peanut butter and I don't think its horrible for you if you buy the right brands but I prefer almond butter.
  • vickivell
    Options
    I eat the natural kind every day stirred into my oatmeal. If I don't have my oats n peanut butter I tend to over eat.
  • vickivell
    Options
    :happy: I have never seen this kind of peanut butter. Where is it sold?
  • bpe101
    bpe101 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have never seen this kind of peanut butter. Where is it sold?

You can buy it online at their website, but I found it at my local Kroger. That is the only place I have seen it so far.

http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/shop-online
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have never seen this kind of peanut butter. Where is it sold?

You can buy it online at their website, but I found it at my local Kroger. That is the only place I have seen it so far.

http://ilovepeanutbutter.com/shop-online

SuperTarget carries a few of the flavors, but I've found if I want the Maple or the Cinnamon Raisin, I have to order online. :( Amazon.com has them, of course!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTA JELLY TIME! PEANUT BUTTA JELLY TIME! Peanut butta jelly! Peanut butta jelly! Wher'ya't?! Wher'ya't?! Peanut-butta-jelly-peanut-butta-jelly!

PEANUT BUTTA JELLY WITH A BASEBALL BAT!

I can do this all day.

^^^this :laugh:
  • sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I try not to touch it because if I do I won't stop eating it. It triggers huge binges for me. I'm an all or nothing kind of person, moderation and I just don't get along.

And I thought I was the only one.. I couldn't of said it better myself, I'm like that with most sweets actually!

Unfortunately, this :-( I can literally eat a jar of PB in one sitting if it is around.
  • ashnich11
    ashnich11 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So I'm starting the debate over peanut butter because I'm truely curious about why it is bad or why it is good! I know that to much of anything is not good for you so I'm curious as to what the wonderful ppl of MFP's message boards have to say. Let me know why you LOVE it and can't live without it. Or why you detest it and wil never eat it again!!! And..............GO!

I love peanut butter and couldnt picture my mornings with out it. I fit it in my calories and fat but it keeps me so full. Even off of a 35 cal piece of wheat toast and a Tbls of peanut butter. Total= 130 cal
  • Nikkielie
    Nikkielie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I believe the only "bad" kinds are the ones with high fructose corn syrup (or the likes) in it. If it has just peanuts (or in my case raw almond butter) and nothing else... it is amazing :)