Gym Phobia

Options
13»

Replies

• poodlegoat
    poodlegoat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It really feels like your in your own world with headphones. You can't hear anything around you. I get scared to go to the gym a lot too but I take it a step at a time.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    For the love of... get over your fear and go check out a gym.. you may have to go to different ones before you find the one that has the right vibe for you. I went to two different YMCAs and a Goodlife Fitness before I decided that one of the YMCAs were much better for me. I've been a member since Jan 2013 and I can't imagine not being a member now! I started off the year working out at home a lot which was awesome but I really wanted to take my goals to the next level.

The first day I went to workout, I was really nervous but realized that everyone is doing their own thing and not paying attention to me. I play sports there too and everyone is really friendly.. while it took me three months to get into the lifting area, I finally did and don't regret it.

In short

GET. THE. F. OVER. IT
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I used to be so insecure about working out at the gym and wouldn't go often even though I was paying so much for it. I was certain everyone there would think I was horrible for being fat or laugh at me for trying to workout. One day I got so nervous, I dropped a heavy weight on my foot, but felt so embarrassed that I kept working out as if nothing happened. Turned out to be the best thing because in the locker room when I discovered how badly I'd hurt myself (it was a bloody mess), these skinny, cute girls who I was sure were laughing at me instead came to my rescue - getting me ice and ibuprofen, helping me clean and bandage my foot. When I returned to the gym, everyone was so happy I was ok and they were all so supportive. Where I thought there was judgement, there was actually friendship and support if I'd only open myself up to it. Most people at the gym are so focused on fixing their own issues that they don't have time to notice, much less judge, anyone else's.

My gym is now my happy place and safe haven when life is just getting me down. I've met so many amazing people there and always try to give back all the support I got when I started. Sometimes I'll see someone who reminds me of my old self and want to go up and tell them my story, but I can also see the fear and insecurity I had and worry I'll offend them or something. I often wonder if that's the way I used to look to other people.
  • meFreshwater
    meFreshwater Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I finally got up the nerve to join the YMCA locally just about six months ago. I thought I'd mostly use the pool, because no one in there is ever paying attention to anyone else. Then, I signed up to learn how the weight machines worked, and loved that. My bf got me a three-session class with a personal trainer, who taught me a lot and I loved that, too. My trainer then challenged me to try some high-intensity group exercise classes, which I LOVE to attend. Just take a deep breath and try one tiny thing at a time. Having a friend around helps. Really, it's true that everyone else there either feels the same or isn't thinking of you at all because they are self-focused. And, take advantage of any staff member who seems friendly. They really do want to help, and they can be very encouraging too. Good luck.
  • ALY2380
    ALY2380 Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for responding! I've contacted a local YMCA to see if I can set up a meeting & get a tour. Things to do this weekend included updating the music on my Ipod & shopping for some workout clothes! One step at a time.....
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I still am not 100% comfortable with the gym, BUT I have found that when I go on a regular basis - it just becomes habit - I get used to seeing the same people daily.

Basically, the more you go, the more comfortable you will become. Also, I felt more comfortable once I started seeing results - motivated me to go MORE. Hope this helps:)
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Unless somebody specifically talks to me, I wouldn't notice if the entire Fantastic Four wandered in and started using the machines next to me.

I'm there for me, not anybody else.
  • ALY2380
    ALY2380 Posts: 29
    Options
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. As of today, I'm an official member of the local Y and summer classes start in June. I'm anxious, but I have a friend who joined with me so I'm excited to start trying some new workouts and to hopefully conquer my fear with a new love for working out!
  • txchik
    txchik Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and I do know what you mean. There are some ppl that do stare like they've never seen a chunky person working out, but I've learned to ignore them on a good day on a bad mood day I stare at them back and wave. But I do love the classes Zumba and Hip Hop classes are my fav. But always clean the equipment before using it I learned the hard way.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I have a phobia of sweating in public,and a fear of changing clothes in public, and one of showing how weak I am in public. I actually like the ymca. There is always some little corner where no one can see you workout, and they have a nice steam room. They have a sauna but I do not like the dry heat.

Anyway the ymca is not like any other gym. Its friendly and if a serious weight lifters grunting is making you uncomfortable, there are always duplicates of machines on the other side of the gym. For some reason I really hate the serious weight lifters seeing how light the weights im using are and how much I struggle with them, even though I know they had to start with light weights too.

I like a gym where I can see other overweight people working hard. Ymca attracts a diverse group

I agree. I am a very shy reserved person and I liked going to the YMCA when I lived in another state. It was great. It had classes and good exercise equipment and a pool. I found that some of the fit people were actually using less weight than I would have expected and it really would not be as hard as I thought to get some muscles. There was a lot of room so I did not have to be any where near people who were super advanced. I was 240 lbs at this time and was not the least embarrassed. I mostly stuck to a spinning bike, treadmill, track, and the weight machines because of my weight. I did not want to hurt myself and the classes were a bit too advanced for me or not at a good time. I tried yoga, spinning and water aerobics. I was a bit embarrassed in the yoga class. I am very inflexible. Even then no one really noticed or commented.

I am more nervous going to the gyms near where I live because they are small so you really don't have the option of finding a nice quiet place in the gym to work out. You are all out there and have to share equipment. I need to start working out at home or work up the courage to go to a gym near my home.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    The first time I walked in to take a look around I was very nervous but decided I didn't want to break my neck walking on icy streets so it was my only option. The second time I walked in, just to use the treadmill, I was so nervous I almost went back to the car and headed home. Now, I walk in and LOVE it. No one cares what others are doing and I have found some of the early morning regulars were very helpful in explaining how other equipment works and I appreciated their comments when they noticed I had lost weight.. If you truly can't do it, then work out at home, with the money you don't spend on gym memberships you could spend on additional equipment for your home.

Most other people aren't paying attention to anything others are doing, so there's really no reason to be nervous.

Having said that, I would also work out at home if I had the room. It would just be so much easier not to have to go anywhere to work out. And more sanitary. I don't do gym showers. I wait until I get home anyway. :)
  • JDBLY11
    Options
    I was the exact same way. I recently started "sucking it up' and going to the gym about last week or so. I started going to the YMCA around 7:30 - 8 when there was hardly anyone in there. Try not to look at anyone. They honestly don't look at you, you are just making it much harder than it needs to be on yourself. The hardest part is walking in. After you get started, it's super easy (:

I have the same struggle as this lady (OP) with most gyms and she really should not be worried at a Y. All different body types are there. My aunt goes to a Y in her city and she is around 200 lbs. Anyone and everyone can go to a Y. I am sad I don't have one where I live.
  • JDBLY11
    Options
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. As of today, I'm an official member of the local Y and summer classes start in June. I'm anxious, but I have a friend who joined with me so I'm excited to start trying some new workouts and to hopefully conquer my fear with a new love for working out!

That is so good. I am proud of you. Now I just have to get out there myself.