Grounds for Dismissal?

Options
13»

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Holy cannoli, yes.

Stuff like that is why I stopped going to yoga classes. I just couldn't accept advice on health and fitness from people who believe in energy locks and breathing into your buttocks. Cleanses are even worse.

The buttocks thing is intended to be metaphoric... I don't think anyone literally believes that you have lungs down there, lovely. Just sayin'...
  • assblaster69
    assblaster69 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be that judgemental, then it probably is time to find that PERFECT trainer for you. After all, the ground you walk on is hallowed.

JFC.... did he say he was doing the Master Cleanse or something? You know, there's nothing wrong with doing a cleanse depending on the protocol. He could drink water for 24 hours, and yes, he would purge toxins. Everyone thinks everything is a cleanse nowadays and the info you gave us leaves out a lot of details.

Also, let me just say, I looked at your breakfast yesterday...... how in the hell is someone the devil for mentioning a cleanse and you're taking every synthetic supplement from Walmart? :laugh:

Gulping down chocolate casein protein shakes is the enlightened path now? MFP is a wild place.

Thank you so much for your constructive response. I always thought there were major organs for cleansing toxins, I must be nuts. Also, thank you for commenting on my diet, I'll follow yours, sounds like you are perfect. :)

Some people do that, and that is your trainer's personal belief. It makes him feel good. He didnt tell you to do it so why does it matter. You do sound narrow minded and also, butthurt
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    LA Fitness trainers are required to have some sort of a certification to be a personal trainer. However, you can obtain a certification by simply taking a test.

Personal trainers are by LAW not permitted to give nutritional advice. They can make suggestions, and comment on what they do, but are not allowed to say "eat this or don't eat that".

If you're worried about your trainer's certifications, most gyms will give you the certification information if you ask. Look for a certification beyond letters (NESTA, ACSM, COOPER, NASM). Look for some sort of schooling with a degree in exercise physiology or kinesiology.

If you're seeing results with your trainer, don't abandon him because his nutritional beliefs are slightly skewed - everyone has different ideas of what a "cleanse" is. If you're not seeing the results you want, look for a new trainer with a degree, not just a certification!

Source: Hubby is a personal trainer with a degree in exercise physiology with a focus in kinesiology, special populations (special needs i.e. autism, multiple sclerosis, etc.), and general weight loss.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

I have MS and would LOVE to talk with someone who is familiar with my illness and also knows about exercise and nutrition. Can't seem to find anyone in my area who can help me.:frown:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You go to him for weight training, not nutritional advice. If you are happy with the weight training, then what does what he decides to eat have to do with it? Unless he tries to convince you to do it as well, I see no reason to stop training with him.

I'm with this. If he converts to Judaism would that bother you? Or gets divorced? As long as his training advice is solid I wouldn't look too deeply at all the other things that don't concern me. Even if he suggested you do one but doesn't force it or try to sell you a product it still wouldn't bother me.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Some people do that, and that is your trainer's personal belief. It makes him feel good. He didnt tell you to do it so why does it matter. You do sound narrow minded and also, butthurt

Choosing to do a a cleanse is not a personal belief.

She's asking a generally valid question.

You can tell by the variety of different responses that others are giving to this topic.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    another awesome,awesome reason to not workout in a gym.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Could "cleanse" be code for something else?

I have IBS, and I occasionally need a good "clean out." I'll tell me colleagues that I'm doing a "cleanse," or will be doing a "cleanse," or have just had a "cleanse," to rid myself of "toxins."

I'm not lying to them, I'm just prettying the details up.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be that judgemental, then it probably is time to find that PERFECT trainer for you. After all, the ground you walk on is hallowed.

JFC.... did he say he was doing the Master Cleanse or something? You know, there's nothing wrong with doing a cleanse depending on the protocol. He could drink water for 24 hours, and yes, he would purge toxins. Everyone thinks everything is a cleanse nowadays and the info you gave us leaves out a lot of details.

Also, let me just say, I looked at your breakfast yesterday...... how in the hell is someone the devil for mentioning a cleanse and you're taking every synthetic supplement from Walmart? :laugh:

Gulping down chocolate casein protein shakes is the enlightened path now? MFP is a wild place.

I'm just going to leave this here.

GM-SUV-300x200.png

Edited for effing huge pics
  • Se_hall
    Se_hall Posts: 7
    Options
    LA Fitness trainers are required to have some sort of a certification to be a personal trainer. However, you can obtain a certification by simply taking a test.

Personal trainers are by LAW not permitted to give nutritional advice. They can make suggestions, and comment on what they do, but are not allowed to say "eat this or don't eat that".

If you're worried about your trainer's certifications, most gyms will give you the certification information if you ask. Look for a certification beyond letters (NESTA, ACSM, COOPER, NASM). Look for some sort of schooling with a degree in exercise physiology or kinesiology.

If you're seeing results with your trainer, don't abandon him because his nutritional beliefs are slightly skewed - everyone has different ideas of what a "cleanse" is. If you're not seeing the results you want, look for a new trainer with a degree, not just a certification!

Source: Hubby is a personal trainer with a degree in exercise physiology with a focus in kinesiology, special populations (special needs i.e. autism, multiple sclerosis, etc.), and general weight loss.

I have MS and would LOVE to talk with someone who is familiar with my illness and also knows about exercise and nutrition. Can't seem to find anyone in my area who can help me.:frown:

On the chance that you're in Seattle, PM me and I'll be happy to hook you up with someone who may be able to help you. There are several I know of in the area
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    First off, I think if you "sort of" like the advice he is giving you, then something is wrong for you. That should be the first flag...for that I would say...time to interview other trainers who have more experience, better credentials, educational degrees, time in practice and clientel. Ask for recommendations and discuss what YOU expect from them. This is your time, money and health.

Secondly, I think they may have just decided to bring up the topic of cleansing as an avenue of conversation. Unless your trainer is a doctor, physical therapist, certified nutritionist, or any other "medical" type degree, all advise should be taken strictly as conversation.

There are many certifications for personal trainers, one big one to look for is NASM certification. This is minimal, but has detailed training on muscular/skeletal/neurological systems and how they work together. This helps when identifying developmental deficiencies in form or strides.

Good luck and when you do find that one great trainer...keep them.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Obviously your response is biased due to your husband's credentials. Good for him for obtaining those, by the way. However, I don't think they are prerequisite to being a great trainer. Certifications are very challenging to obtain these days. They've come along way over the years.

Dealing with special populations, however, is a different story and would require more specialized training and education.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options

On the chance that you're in Seattle, PM me and I'll be happy to hook you up with someone who may be able to help you. There are several I know of in the area

I wish I could take you up on that offer but I'm in Ohio!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Holy cannoli, yes.

Stuff like that is why I stopped going to yoga classes. I just couldn't accept advice on health and fitness from people who believe in energy locks and breathing into your buttocks. Cleanses are even worse.

You never breathed into your buttocks? :noway:
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Holy cannoli, yes.

You never breathed into your buttocks? :noway:

I just did it today in Yoga class. Felt great!! :bigsmile:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    In a case where I'm paying someone for the information THEY have researched themselves, when they offer incorrect information on a closely related field it would certainly make me question their competence in the areas they are instructing me on.

Am I really doing what's best to reach my goals, or is this ill-researched Chinese whispers that started as an advert in a magazine?

If someone, for instance, goes on about aliens and conspiracy theories which I've looked in to and am confident are not true/overplayed or the like - then quite logically I'm going to categorise them as a bit suggestible (I've seen various conspiracy stuff and appreciate that it's often well presented to confuse, especially those that WANT to believe).
    Similar for religion; but I'm aware that many years of brainwashing can affect people in that area.
    He could drink water for 24 hours, and yes, he would purge toxins.
    Care to back that up with some research or good evidence that it's more than just 'woo'.

Taken from Livestrong (which isn't a great source, but was the first result in google and backs up what I've read elsehwere from trustworthy sources):
    >>Detox diets have not been proven to detoxify your system, according to the Mayo Clinic. In fact, there is no research that strongly suggests benefits to these types of diets. In addition, these diets can cause side effects such as fatigue, dizziness, dehydration and nausea.<<
  • Se_hall
    Options

Obviously your response is biased due to your husband's credentials. Good for him for obtaining those, by the way. However, I don't think they are prerequisite to being a great trainer. Certifications are very challenging to obtain these days. They've come along way over the years.

Dealing with special populations, however, is a different story and would require more specialized training and education.

I didn't mean to imply that having a degree is a prerequisite to being a great trainer. What I am trying to convey is that someone with NO background can sign up for a NASM course, take the one day class and pass the test. My husband is also NASM certified and experieced this while at a refresher course prior to the test. Unfortunately, when someone decides on a whim to become a personal trainer (happens all the time), they get a course in the basic muscle groups, movements, and exercises, but no course on applying them or programming. This is also not to say everyone with a degree is going to be a "great trainer", however, they will be better versed in programming which lead to greater results.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Also - think you can still do a degree in "homoeopathic medicine" - complete woo and quackery.
    So a degree doesn't have to mean you know how things actually work unfortunately; just that you do know 'things' true or not.
  • Se_hall
    Options
    Also - think you can still do a degree in "homoeopathic medicine" - complete woo and quackery.
    So a degree doesn't have to mean you know how things actually work unfortunately; just that you do know 'things' true or not.

That's why I specify to look for someone with a degree in exercise physiology or kinesiology... not any form of quackery :)