Silk almond milk unsweetened vs regular

Options
13»

Replies

• ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    i usually buy almond breeze, but i do buy silk if its cheaper. when i first bought unsweetened, it was ok, but now i love it! and only 30 cal per serving-awesome! the vanilla and dark chocolate are also super delicious! dark chocolate is perfect for chocolate cravings. i personally havent had the sweetened almond milk (w/o vanilla, i think they call it "original"), so i cant tell you how that tastes.
  • Three4MeNHim
    Options
    I think Silk almond milk is gross. Try Earth's Own Almond Fresh unsweetened. It's soooooooooo much better! It's not thick like silk.
  • poundis
    poundis Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have no preference between the Silk brand unsweetened vanilla almond milk vs. the Blue Diamond brand. I use it because it has less calories than skim milk but mostly because it has more calcium in it. I still prefer the taste of cow's milk though!!!!
  • tiffanyarowell
    Options
    I've tried a couple different versions of almond milk, and like them enough in cereal and to drink, but I would not recommend them for cooking (even the unsweetened ones), especially if they are being used in a sauce. I guess the composition is just so different from regular milk that none of my sauces have thickened like they are supposed to and the taste/consistency in other things I've made/baked is just off.
  • blunderwhere
    blunderwhere Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Love Silk unsweetened almond milk. I like the taste not necessarily as a replacement for milk, which I love, but as an additional option, and I like it as a substitute for milk as well, if I so choose. You can't beat the 30 calories per 8 oz benefits. I even drink it straight, adding a bit of vanilla, or whatever flavor, and a splenda. It's yummy. Also, the thicker consistency is part of what I like about it.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I love the unsweetened for my shakes and on cereal. I haven't had just a glass of it by itself because I'm afraid I won't like it and I don't drink plain milk that frequently. A friend of mine posted recently the nutritional difference between the two and claimed there wasn't much of a difference in flavor, so I didn't even try the sweetened. I just wanted the low-cal version. haha!
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I love milk, but not all the sugar! So I compared most soy products available and found Silk organic unsweetened, it has 1/2 the calories of whole milk, and only 1 sugar! 4 fats, and 7 protein! And it taste so much like milk, that even my picky daughter uses it!! I am so glad I found it!! Plus it doesn't expire as quickly as milk either. Try you will be glad you did.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I didn't mind using the almond milk in my protein shakes but I will not be giving up my cow's milk for certain! My daughter has been diagnosed with a treenut allergy so it's absolutely out of the question now that I will be giving up cow's milk. I can't even bring anything into the house that has treenuts in it. Plus, cow's milk has way more protein than almond milk.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    I've tried a couple different versions of almond milk, and like them enough in cereal and to drink, but I would not recommend them for cooking (even the unsweetened ones), especially if they are being used in a sauce. I guess the composition is just so different from regular milk that none of my sauces have thickened like they are supposed to and the taste/consistency in other things I've made/baked is just off.
    QFT
    I tried to make a Latte with Almond milk.... no good at all!
  • tangled01
    tangled01 Posts: 8
    Options
    my concern is not the calories but the sodium, unsweetened almond milk has 180 mg compared to skim milk which has 133 mg. does sodium affect your body if you're trying to lose weight?
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    my concern is not the calories but the sodium, unsweetened almond milk has 180 mg compared to skim milk which has 133 mg. does sodium affect your body if you're trying to lose weight?

I only drink 1-2 glasses a day, so that amount is insignificant for me. Unless you have health issue, you don't need to keep is super low. I try to keep mine under the recommended 2500 just to reduce bloating. It's not that difficult and that small difference isn't too much. I never was a milk drinker before, didn't like the taste. With almond milk, I'm good with having it every day!!
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Never tried the unsweetened, but I have had the regular, and it tastes too sweet to me! Now that I know there's an unsweetened, I'll switch over.. :)