If you could give one piece of advice, what would it be?

Options

Replies

• MuratAkbay
    MuratAkbay Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's a marathon not a race.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    CHART CHART CHART...NO MATTER WHAT. I've lost 49 lbs and it took me a year to do that due to my mothers suicide attempts, my father having a transplant, two grandparents on thier death beds, changing jobs, and a plethora of other emotional situations. For an emotional eater like me it was NOT easy. But no matter what, in those (now over) 365 days, I never missed a day of charting my food. I'd go weeks of crap eating and not exercising and be tempted to throw in the towel and just start over when 'things calmed down' but I refused to give up. My weight loss report over the last year looks like and EKG but with a downward trend so that's ok. The one thing that kept me coming back time after time was that I kept on charting which made me want to improve. It made me accountable even when I didn't want to be.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Realize that this is not an easy task, and that you will need to do this for the rest of your life. It's never over. Even maintenance has to be controlled.
    There will be stumbles along the way. Don't let them derail you. Just get back on the wagon the next day.
    Good luck!! Ciao, Marc
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    CHART CHART CHART...NO MATTER WHAT. I've lost 49 lbs and it took me a year to do that due to my mothers suicide attempts, my father having a transplant, two grandparents on thier death beds, changing jobs, and a plethora of other emotional situations. For an emotional eater like me it was NOT easy. But no matter what, in those (now over) 365 days, I never missed a day of charting my food. I'd go weeks of crap eating and not exercising and be tempted to throw in the towel and just start over when 'things calmed down' but I refused to give up. My weight loss report over the last year looks like and EKG but with a downward trend so that's ok. The one thing that kept me coming back time after time was that I kept on charting which made me want to improve. It made me accountable even when I didn't want to be.
    You've been through a lot. I admire your commitment!
  • LesaLu4
    LesaLu4 Posts: 83
    Options
    Bump
  • ewalker160
    ewalker160 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Keep going. Even when you have a slight bobble, dust yourself off and get back at it. Never give up.
  • zen1910
    zen1910 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Be CONSISTENT. On everything.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Weigh your food. Everything.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Consistency is key....
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    disregard humans, acquire aesthetics!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Be consistent!
    B - E Consistent!
    *clap*
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a weekend off once and awhile... enjoy things to your hearts content!
  • funzzzz
    funzzzz Posts: 1
    Options
    Baby Steps of behavor modification, by the inch its a cinch by the yard its hard..... pre-plan daily meals and eat often... 6+ times per day... and watch your cravings go away...
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Patience, patience, patience
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change but it is like any change, it is harder in the beginning. Just because you don't think you can live on the diet forever is not a reason to not do it. The fact is as you diet your body will adjust your cravings and even your taste buds will adjust to your new diet (but not if you throw burgers and pizza at it while you are dieting).
  • kara2
    kara2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Your legs are not giving in, your head is giving up. Keep going! I repeat this in my mind everytime I think I can't take another step. Log everything. I signed up for a 5K race and that kept me committed to excercising every day. I have signed up for another on April 20th. It's been 67 days since I started this lifestyle change. I have lost 41 pounds, reversed my diabetes diagnosis and walked my first 5K. Just keep moving.
  • cheddle
    cheddle Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The key to physical success, is mental success -

To take control of the things in your life you must first take control of yourself, and learn to ride your emotions and not become overwhelmed by them and to remind yourself who is in control up there, you?? or the urges telling you to "sleep in" "eat cake" "stay quiet" "bite your tongue" ect...

Once you have made the choice to stand against the constant blows that life does deliver, you will realize that they never really pushed you to make a choice, and that the choice was up to you all along... Once you know this the choice is all yours :-)

p.s: you must imagine me wearing a robe, sitting next to a small bonsai tree and speaking in a soft Asian accent for full effect
  • valleymum
    valleymum Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    two quotes that ALWAYS motivate me: you will never ever regret a workout, only regret skipping one. And no matter how slow your going, your moving faster then you would be sitting on the couch.

its all about breaking bad habits/routines and creating healthy ones. look at working out as a non nogatiable part of your day. when a craving hits, dont just reach for your old junk food. Its amazing how many cravings can be satisfied in a healthy manner when u stop to really think about what ur really craving and why. baby carrots instead of chips for mindlessly crunching on something while watching tv. kiwis instead of candy when those sugar cravings hit.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    move more eat less
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!