Alfredo sauce that's light on calories but LOADED with taste

Options
hannah_ryann
hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
I just wanted to share this awesome recipe I used (and tweaked) for my lunch today. I served it over spaghetti squash but obviouslly it's meant to be served over regular pasta. What I liked about it is that the spaghetti squash had a slightly sweet flavor that was highlighted by the sauce. I got the recipe from mel's kitchen cafe and I'm posting it below with my tweaks. Hope someone finds this as delicious as I did!

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed through a garlic press (i used my cheese grater lol)
4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into 6 pieces (you can either use fat free or regular; I used regular but fat free cuts a significant amount of cals)
1 cup milk (original recipe used 1%; I used Silk light unsweetened soy milk)
3 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (I used 4 ounces.. I like cheese.)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste, if needed

Directions
In a medium pot or skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, taking care not to let the garlic burn. Add the cream cheese, stirring with a whisk until the mixture is smooth. It will look curdled at first, but with constant whisking for 2-3 minutes, it should come together to form a smooth, creamy paste. Add the milk gradually, about 1/4 cup at a time, whisking quickly and constantly until each addition is incorporated fully into the sauce. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, pepper and salt. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is the desired consistency. Cook for 2-3 minutes for a thicker sauce or remove right after the cheese is melted for a thinner sauce. Serve immediately over hot, cooked noodles.

I measured it out; this recipe made 16 ounces of sauce. 1 serving=2 ounces. Based on the recipe I made, these are the nutrition stats. Of course, they'll be different if you tweak the recipe any.

Nutritional info
Calories- 129
Fat- 10.9 grams
Poly- 1.4
Mono- .1

Sodium- 230 mg
Carbs- 2.6
Fiber- .3
Sugars- 1
Protein- 6.3

Replies

• Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Commenting so I can try it later, as I seem to have some spaghetti squash at home that needs to be used.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Thanks, and now I have to go to the store to get me some spaghetti squash!
  • bulleth77
    bulleth77 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a spaghetti squash hanging out on my counter!
  • ktbazzy
    ktbazzy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lolinj
    lolinj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • azurbson
    azurbson Posts: 29
    Options
    bump
  • Chrisgriff32
    Chrisgriff32 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Bump... That looks easy enough!
  • annascrapper
    annascrapper Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Looks easy...I have ingredients...creamy....Thanks!!!
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I love alredo. will have to try
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to share this awesome recipe I used (and tweaked) for my lunch today. I served it over spaghetti squash but obviouslly it's meant to be served over regular pasta. What I liked about it is that the spaghetti squash had a slightly sweet flavor that was highlighted by the sauce. I got the recipe from mel's kitchen cafe and I'm posting it below with my tweaks. Hope someone finds this as delicious as I did!

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons butter
    3 cloves garlic, finely minced or pressed through a garlic press (i used my cheese grater lol)
    4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cut into 6 pieces (you can either use fat free or regular; I used regular but fat free cuts a significant amount of cals)
    1 cup milk (original recipe used 1%; I used Silk light unsweetened soy milk)
    3 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (I used 4 ounces.. I like cheese.)
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt, more to taste, if needed

Directions
    In a medium pot or skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, taking care not to let the garlic burn. Add the cream cheese, stirring with a whisk until the mixture is smooth. It will look curdled at first, but with constant whisking for 2-3 minutes, it should come together to form a smooth, creamy paste. Add the milk gradually, about 1/4 cup at a time, whisking quickly and constantly until each addition is incorporated fully into the sauce. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, pepper and salt. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is the desired consistency. Cook for 2-3 minutes for a thicker sauce or remove right after the cheese is melted for a thinner sauce. Serve immediately over hot, cooked noodles.

I measured it out; this recipe made 16 ounces of sauce. 1 serving=2 ounces. Based on the recipe I made, these are the nutrition stats. Of course, they'll be different if you tweak the recipe any.

Nutritional info
    Calories- 129
    Fat- 10.9 grams
    Poly- 1.4
    Mono- .1

Sodium- 230 mg
    Carbs- 2.6
    Fiber- .3
    Sugars- 1
    Protein- 6.3

FYI: Alfredo only has 2 ingredients; butter and parm. Pretty hard to find where to lighten that
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

FYI: Alfredo only has 2 ingredients; butter and parm. Pretty hard to find where to lighten that

I always thought it was butter, parm, and heavy cream. (I usually get it in the jar.)
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Amen.
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options

This is an alternative recipe for those who like the taste of alfredo. You're welcome to try it or not. :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

I always thought it was butter, parm, and heavy cream. (I usually get it in the jar.)

Just butter + parm, no cream. Over the years, Americans added cream to it. Actually, alfredo sauce is an American thing, really. Butter & parm is an Italian thing. Italians are confused when you ask for alfredo sauce.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have a spaghetti squash hanging out on my counter!

then you should make no-noodle lasagna!
  • MsAnn07
    MsAnn07 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Love Alfredo Sauce...thank you for posting this!!!
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Sooo...no one is going to comment on how 2oz of sauce is pathetically next to nothing for sauce?!? My poor pasta (or spaghetti squash) would be almost naked!!

Good recipe OP :) My "fake" alfredo is actually a bechamel (butter/flour rue with milk added) with plenty o' cheese and garlic.
  • mli85maj
    mli85maj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This sounds great. Thanks for posting!
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beckylynnhurd
    Options
    Thank you Hannah.
    I used regular Alfredo sauce this week, but next time I will try this. It sounds very good. Keep up the great work.!
    Becky Hurd