Avocados - I love them, but their so high in calories?

Options
Hi I saw a recipe posted today that had avocado & shrimp, two of my favourite ingredients. However calorie wise an avocado is really high. I've heard it said that it is a good fat ? Can anyone explain?

Replies

• if you eat too much of it you'll get fat, even if it's good fat

I'm living proof
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It is good fat. High Omega 3. Just not too much.
  • Elias1877
    Options
    Hi I saw a recipe posted today that had avocado & shrimp, two of my favourite ingredients. However calorie wise an avocado is really high. I've heard it said that it is a good fat ? Can anyone explain?

just eat it in moderation and you will be fine.
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Same as nuts...really good for you, really high in fat/calories. Maybe don't eat a whole avocado, maybe don't eat a whole can of nuts. Or do, and then just don't eat something else.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    they're... not their...

and they're good for you. Eat them. In moderation.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm delicious.. delicious avocado calories. It's full of happy goodness. eat them.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Avocado is actually pretty low-calorie for being so fatty (you can eat half an avocado for the same calories as 1 serving of mayo). They're seriously good for you and help keep you full. Eat them.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Avacados are awesome in smoothies! Especially with mangos!!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eat it, log it. Enjoy. Simple.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    Also, I probably eat more avocados than most people, and have lost nearly 50 lbs regardless...
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I eat a whole avacado about once every other week. It's a nice splurg. Hasn't hurt my weight loss efforts.
    I make my famous guacamole and that's my dinner that night. YUM!!!!!!!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole thing! Love it! Fit it in!
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    While I don’t suggest eating multiple avocados a day, the good in them (in moderation) outweighs the calories. They are a fantastic source of potassium, vitamins, fiber, etc. They predominately contain heart-healthy fat. I sometimes eat an avocado a day, and I’m still losing weight.

In a nutshell, do not avoid avocados because of calories; just be mindful of the quantity.

P.S. Shrimp & avocado? Yum. You should try making ceviche sometime with shrimp, fish, avocado, tomato, onion, lime juice etc. So yummy when it’s fresh and served chilled!

Good luck on your journey!
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    it's not that bad. just don't eat a whole avocado! i weigh out either a quarter-half of one and it is less than 100 calories.
  • Topher1978
    Options
    If I eat more than half an avocado, it makes me feel too full... a half is perfect for me... In a smoothie with 1.5 cups worth of other fruit and a cup of kefir and a serving of Greek yogurt... sublime! Goes great with blueberries as well!
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    If you keep your protein and carbs at a certain amount of calories where you still have more after for your daily goal then you should be able to include them as much as it allows. Good luck
  • mrsjobba2
    mrsjobba2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    While I don’t suggest eating multiple avocados a day, the good in them (in moderation) outweighs the calories. They are a fantastic source of potassium, vitamins, fiber, etc. They predominately contain heart-healthy fat. I sometimes eat an avocado a day, and I’m still losing weight.

In a nutshell, do not avoid avocados because of calories; just be mindful of the quantity.

P.S. Shrimp & avocado? Yum. You should try making ceviche sometime with shrimp, fish, avocado, tomato, onion, lime juice etc. So yummy when it’s fresh and served chilled!

Good luck on your journey!
    Mmm sounds yummy!
  • bring7
    bring7 Posts: 13
    Options
    So those of you who don't eat a whole one...how do you store the other half without it getting gross?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Half an avocado is about the same amount of calories as a serving of potato chips. A little more fat, but we need healthy fats to live. Eat avocado.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    it is the good kind of fat that most of us don't get! I absolutely love them!