Avocados - I love them, but their so high in calories?

Options

Replies

• mrsjobba2
    mrsjobba2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    So those of you who don't eat a whole one...how do you store the other half without it getting gross?

Good question ?
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    All good healthy fats, so I just work it into my calories for the day - over a week I eat 2-3 avo's :-)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So those of you who don't eat a whole one...how do you store the other half without it getting gross?

Good question ?

Yes, very good question. I always eat the whole thing, or share with my daughter. They get really nasty once you've sliced into it.

ETA: And as far as "high in calories," that's completely relative. It's about the same number of calories as a candy bar, and I manage to fit those in with no problem.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    leave the pit in, store in an airtight container (lock & lock, etc), and pop it in the fridge. Even then, it won't last much longer than 24 hours after.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options

Good question ?

I have one of these amazing gizmo's - works a treat ;-)

http://www.chefscomplements.co.nz/shop/kitchen-storage/product-list/details-/_cat2_/1142/Vegetable-Storage/_prod_/Avocado-Saver-Holder
  • natecar
    natecar Posts: 11
    Options
    There are few better fatty foods than avocados. Don't avoid them.
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I cut it in half, remove the stone and cover the extra half as tightly as possible in shrink wrap right away. I store it cut side down in the fridge and it is good for a day.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Better to eat good fats than processed rubbish. I eat seeds and nuts every day and during the weight loss, my hair, skin and nails have been amazing. Previously when I cut out all fat, I lost the weight but my skin aged masses and my hair went wiry.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

I eat 1/4 of one every day with my omelet for lunch. I start with a whole one, and slice around it in quarters. I pull off one quarter, leaving the seed and rest intact, scope the insides onto my plate, then replace the empty skin in the place it was, covering the exposed areas of the rest of the avocado. I place it then in a baggie and twist it tightly around, then place in the fridge, cut part down. The next day I pull off another quarter and do the same thing, replacing the empty peel. Keeping the seed in place, and the meat covered with the peel, keeps it from going brown.
    And 1/4 of a medium sized avocado is only 50 cals. And so good for you. They keep finding more healthy nutrients that are beneficial to our good health.
    Plus they are great for digestion, and keeping things regular!
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    they're... not their...

Thank you. I weep reading these forums sometimes.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options

Good question ?

Leave the pit in, sprinkle with lemon or lime juice, and eat the next day. Maaaybe as much as two days later but that's pushing it. Somehow the pit helps prevent browning, the citrus helps even more, and a little brown doesn't hurt you anyway. Still tastes good.
    Mix mashed avocado with plain greek yogurt to make it go further and spread the calories out. makes excellent guac.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Eat it.. then go run around for 20 minutes...
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I eat a couple avocados each week.

I usually only eat half and then save the other half for the next day.

I store mine in a container in the fridge and it usually doesn't get very brown as long as I use it within 24 hours.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options

I bring half of one to work every day for breakfast - I put each half in a ziploc with half a lemon and squeeze some lemon on it. I take the piece with the pit in it the next day - it helps keep it fresh.
  • Amanda0877
    Options
    Avacados are awesome for you. Yes they are high in fat, and yes its "good" fat. There is something know as "essential fatty acids" which are necessary for certain functions in the body such as absorbing "fat soluble" vitamins such as A, D, E, and K. Your body can't naturally produce EFAs so we NEED to eat them. They are also promote healthy skin, hair, nails and good brain and eye development. Avacados are loaded with EFAs. They are high in calories but also contain a lot a protein and vitamin E, which is hard to get from fruits and veggies. Stay away from trans fats and saturated fats, they are unnatural and their chemical structure makes it really hard for the body to break down which is ultimately why you gain weight from them. This is the one thing that always stuck in my head from chemistry class. So eat your avacados and feel great about it!!! Because of their creamy texture, they also make a healthy and delicious alternative to mayo on sandwiches, and blend them into your smoothies to make them extra creamy! Hope this helps!
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't think they are that high in calories. I eat 1/2 one a few times a week. They are high in fat but not overly caloric.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    they're... not their...

Yes thank you, I was so tempted to do it myself lol
  • mrsjobba2
    mrsjobba2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    they're... not their...

I tried but can't change the topic statement - please consider how your comments make me feel. Sorry my error makes you weep. I am new to this .
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I just had one for lunch. It was pretty good.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    they're... not their...

I tried but can't change the topic statement - please consider how your comments make me feel. Sorry my error makes you weep. I am new to this .

LOL thats when I start making double the errors. Like this...

So your upsat thatz me use their in da rung contaxt. I sorree. Your rite it was rung to use it that way and me glad u coreketed me youre teechin mes gramer and stuff halps alot. I wont not never say their rung agains. i promise there r ppl where who want to make me smrter. And u halped. Theyre times when I mess up n its people like u who halp me to member to type rite so that other people thier on the compooters canz understans. thanx!