No Pain No Gain?

Options
How true is this statement?

I push myself through every cardio and strength workout I do and the pain just is never as good as people think it is. I'm worried I may be pushing myself too far. I just always second guess myself and my body. Damn scale...tape measure isn't my friend either.

The other issue is not knowing what is fat or loose skin seeing I've lost 200 pounds in 3 years. I have done well with my eating and thought my exercising also. I have been trying to maintain right now but the scale still goes up up up then slowly drops down..

Stress, lack of sleep..who knows?

I really just hear it all and only wish I knew if I'm being a lil baby or if this pain is serious...it goes away then comes back..

Replies

• assblaster69
    assblaster69 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If i get bad DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness) from weight training, it was a good workout. Joint pain etc isnt good kind of pain, but DOMS are normal.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    I am not even sure when or how it starts but I did the little workout then went to clean dishes. One stretch and shooting pain..
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Don't take it too literally. Think of it more of you need to come out of your comfort zone to get where you want to. Do you really think lifting pink dumbbells will help your fitness goal? Chances are, no, since it is already easy. If you want to be a better runner and are doing a 7 min k, do you think to continue to do a 7 minute k will help? Course not. You need to push yourself beyond your comfort zone.
  • blue_cow
    blue_cow Posts: 4
    Options
    There is:
    the low, dull pain of "I worked my mucles hard"
    the low throb with electic jolts of "I pulled something"
    the electric tightness of "I tore something, or worked way beyond my level"
    and the the 10 for 10 electric jolt flowed with the sharp throbs of "Oh *kitten*, I really hurt something".

Mixed in there is the electric arcs or tingles and numbness of inflamations (muscle or joint)

Where are you?
  • assblaster69
    Options
    I am not even sure when or how it starts but I did the little workout then went to clean dishes. One stretch and shooting pain..

Cramps?
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    No cramps....
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    Don't take it too literally. Think of it more of you need to come out of your comfort zone to get where you want to. Do you really think lifting pink dumbbells will help your fitness goal? Chances are, no, since it is already easy. If you want to be a better runner and are doing a 7 min k, do you think to continue to do a 7 minute k will help? Course not. You need to push yourself beyond your comfort zone.
    How lovely.....
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I think it is the consistency as well.
  • blue_cow
    blue_cow Posts: 4
    Options
    Unless the pain is gone after a nights sleep, I'd recomend a Dr's visit. Sharp, shooting pain isn't usually a good thing. Beyond that, based on internet info it's hard to guess.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    There is:
    and the the 10 for 10 electric jolt flowed with the sharp throbs of "Oh *kitten*, I really hurt something".

Mixed in there is the electric arcs or tingles and numbness of inflamations (muscle or joint)

Where are you?

I keep thinking I've pushed myself way beyond recovery but still march forward through pain..
  • Shawshankcan
    Options
    How lovely.....

Care to elaborate?
  • assblaster69
    Options
    There is:

Where are you?

I keep thinking I've pushed myself way beyond recovery but still march forward through pain..

Keep goin then if you dont get in serious pain. Cramps arent serious
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    There's a common expression that comes from a movie from the 90s (? I think, damn I'm old) called "The Program" where a player goes down hurt in practice, the coach walks over and says "Are you hurt or are you injured?" If you're hurt, (I.E. uncomfortable, or mild pain that goes away when you stop) then that's generally par for the course if you work hard (pretty much every day of my athletic life involves some degree of pain) but if you're injured (and that could be chronic or acute) then you should stop, re-evaluate, and maybe go see a doctor.

In other words, "No pain, no gain" isn't technically true, you can work out and not be in pain and still receive benefit, but if you define pain loosely, then to gain those huge increases, they involve levels of discomfort that people who don't work out commonly associate with pain. Long story short, if you don't want to gain a lot then you don't need pain, but if you do, then pain (or discomfort at least) is in the cards.
  • Shawshankcan
    Options
    There's a common expression that comes from a movie from the 90s (? I think, damn I'm old) called "The Program" where a player goes down hurt in practice, the coach walks over and says "Are you hurt or are you injured?" If you're hurt, (I.E. uncomfortable, or mild pain that goes away when you stop) then that's generally par for the course if you work hard (pretty much every day of my athletic life involves some degree of pain) but if you're injured (and that could be chronic or acute) then you should stop, re-evaluate, and maybe go see a doctor.

In other words, "No pain, no gain" isn't technically true, you can work out and not be in pain and still receive benefit, but if you define pain loosely, then to gain those huge increases, they involve levels of discomfort that people who don't work out commonly associate with pain. Long story short, if you don't want to gain a lot then you don't need pain, but if you do, then pain (or discomfort at least) is in the cards.

That was the movie about a college football team with the QB was an alcoholic and the linebacker had a slight steroid problem?
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    How lovely.....

Care to elaborate?
    No thank you. I'm good. I wish you would get to know me before you assume things.
  • Shawshankcan
    Options
    I didn't assume anything. Simply defined what the phrase meant. You took it as an attack.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    I didn't assume anything. Simply defined what the phrase meant. You took it as an attack.
    I use 15 pound dumbbells I purchased at Academy. I am not using the little 5 pound pink ones. I used them 2 years ago when I was way heavier and first starting out. I workout every day and try to do strength training at least 4 times a week. I'm not weak but it's how the pain makes me feel. Does that make any sense?
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options

I push myself through every cardio and strength workout I do and the pain just is never as good as people think it is. I'm worried I may be pushing myself too far. I just always second guess myself and my body. Damn scale...tape measure isn't my friend either.

The other issue is not knowing what is fat or loose skin seeing I've lost 200 pounds in 3 years. I have done well with my eating and thought my exercising also. I have been trying to maintain right now but the scale still goes up up up then slowly drops down..

I really just hear it all and only wish I knew if I'm being a lil baby or if this pain is serious...it goes away then comes back..

OK. I get you aren't confident and don't quite trust yourself right now. Don't take this as an attack, but you are warbling a bit and we need some straight answers from you.

WHAT pain?

WHERE is it shooting from/to?

Answer and we might be able to get somewhere.
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options

OK. I get you aren't confident and don't quite trust yourself right now. Don't take this as an attack, but you are warbling a bit and we need some straight answers from you.

WHAT pain?

WHERE is it shooting from/to?

Answer and we might be able to get somewhere.

Sorry for not being clear. It is in my back, left side, right where my bra comes around. It's a shooting pain and comes and goes. It's not bad at the moment but it will come back once I lay down. I always cramp up.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could use a little break, maybe try just some light exercise for a few days so you have time to heal. I know when I push myself to hard the pain just wont go away until I finally give myself a break. Good luck, I hope it gets better