I need Iron!!

Options
2»

Replies

• squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I am deficient as well and just so you know supplements can help but the capsules do NOT absorb the iron into your body as well as food does and they can make you constipated. :( red meat and loads of leafy greens. Put lemon in your water or salad dressing bc vitamin C is necessary to help absorb the iron (according to my doc).
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Oh and this hasn't already been mentioned by my Doc also put me on birth control (Yaz) specifically so I could skip that TOM. This tends to be one of the reasons why females are more prone to iron defficiency and not losing all that blood can make a big difference.

Just another idea
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    You also need vitamin C. True story. Here is one easy way to get your iron up. Get yourself a nice breakfast cereal, one with plenty of iron. Say, shredded wheat or frosted mini wheats. They work as a nice snack with out milk. Have a small bit of Vitamin C rich juice with a serving of this cereal once or twice a day. Once you get your iron levels back up, maintain it. Pay attention to your iron intake and make sure you get a little vitamin c with meals.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    To you smart alecs saying "google", why don't you go and GOOGLE yourselves eh? :angry:
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I love mini wheats :) Very high in iron! 24 pieces is 50% of the recommended daily iron.