Hypothyroidism

Options
Anybody taking synthroid/levothyroxine? I just started yesterday and will like to know your experience. Thanks for sharing :)

Replies

• tuckervc
    tuckervc Posts: 30
    Options
    I have been for a year just over a year now. I have had a huge improvement. I actually went to the doctor today for a checkup and she was pleased with all of my numbers (thyroid, cholestrol, blood pressure, etc). I had noticed an increase in symptoms (fatigue, hair loss, cold) starting around the holidays and just kept track of how I was feeling. After blood work and discussing it I am now starting another med to hopefully balance things out. I go back in 3 months for a check up and will have blood work to look at levels. Your doctor should continue to monitor your thryroid level to make sure you are taking the correct dose. I started MFP in Jan and was afraid I would not be able to drop any weight with the thyroid issue but I am down 14 pounds. It has been slower for me than friends that are making changes but I know I am on the right track to a healthier me. Getting your levels checked regularly is very important.
  • DentalEJ
    DentalEJ Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you for replying. Congratulations on your weight loss! Keep it up. I still weight the same as when started MFP (2 1/2 wks. Ago) and have been on synthroid for 3 days only (25mcg) the doctor said that is very low (minimal dosage) to take it for a month and then go up to 50mcg. He wants to see me in 4 months. All I know is that I am not giving up because it takes time and dedication. Even though I haven't lost any pounds I am starting to feel different and sort of lighter :smile: with more energy than before.
    You mentioned about starting another med, which one is it? Best wishes.
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm on Levo. I actually had my thyroid removed two years ago. Just remember that as you lose weight, you'll need your numbers checked again as it can affect your dosage.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I started Synthroid and am only at 50 mg right now. I'll be getting bloodwork done on Monday and likely going up to at least 100. Right now I haven't seen much improvement. I'm still completely exhausted. =( On the plus side, no negative side effects. Hopefully upping my dosage will "fix" me because I'm so miserably exhausted.
  • pilarg18
    pilarg18 Posts: 25
    Options
    I was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in Jan 12, put on PTU (which caused me to become mildly hypo), went through radiation in Jan 13 and just now becoming hypothyroid again. Endo hopes to have me on Synthroid in the next 8 weeks or so. My mom's been on Synthroid for over a decade after thyroid cancer and she swears being on the right dose changes your life for the better. It's not an easy journey but I wish you luck! Feel free to add me :)
  • DentalEJ
    Options
    Thanks, I didn't know :) it makes sense. How do you like Levo, any effects you have noticed?
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I've been on levo for about 6 years now and my dose is up to about 150mcg/day. Most of what I notice about it is that I retain less water, have a speedier digestive tract, and more energy. It hasn't made it *easier* to lose weight. Just *possible.* After the birth of my daughter, my levels yo-yo'd for about 2.5 years and I couldn't lose the baby weight for love nor money. Eventually things settled down, I found the right level, and I began to lose weight again. I'm now plateaued on weight loss (for the last 5 months or so.) and just had my blood tested again.

You should start to feel better soon, which will make it easier to stick to your workouts and give you the energy to cook better food.

Good luck!
  • DentalEJ
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Don't worry, talk to your doctor about how you feel. I was told it takes sometime to get to the right dosage but once is adjusted you stay there and start to feel balanced. Best wishes :)
  • DentalEJ
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Don't worry, talk to your doctor about how you feel. I was told it takes sometime to get to the right dosage but once is adjusted you stay there and start to feel balanced. Best wishes :)
  • DentalEJ
    Options
    I started Synthroid and am only at 50 mg right now. I'll be getting bloodwork done on Monday and likely going up to at least 100. Right now I haven't seen much improvement. I'm still completely exhausted. =( On the plus side, no negative side effects. Hopefully upping my dosage will "fix" me because I'm so miserably exhausted.

• twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    just to point out hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism are opposites

hypo being under active
    hyper being over active
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Do a search; there are a lot of us here.
  • DentalEJ
    Options
    I'm sorry for all the repetition, I just figured how to quote and answer, I'm new at this :flowerforyou: thanks.
  • DentalEJ
    Options
    I'm on Levo. I actually had my thyroid removed two years ago. Just remember that as you lose weight, you'll need your numbers checked again as it can affect your dosage.

Thanks, I didn't know :) it makes sense. How do you like Levo, any effects you have noticed?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

hypo being under active
    hyper being over active

Don't really know why you had to point it out. Everyone here seems to know what they have.
  • The_Transforming_Journey
    Options
    I've been taking it for years :smile: It takes about 6 weeks or so before it really gets into your system, but once it does you'll be amazed at how much better you feel! (I didn't realize how tired I was until I started feeling better) Likely over the course of your life your doctor will have to adjust and play with your levels, but overall it is very helpful!
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

hypo being under active
    hyper being over active

Don't really know why you had to point it out. Everyone here seems to know what they have.

thread title
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been on Levo for a few years now. I have been steady at 132 for 4 years. My HR is better (It used to get down scary low), and energy is up a little too. I still have issues, but they are all better than they were. I have regular check ups and the #'s are in the normal range.
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I have been on thyroid medication for 11 years. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism not long after I had my daughter. Once I got on Synthroid medication, my symptoms went away and my post baby weight melted off. A few years ago, I had to switch to generic levothyroxine because of my insurance plan, and though i know people say there is no difference, I don't believe the generic is as good as the brand. I believe this because, I bit the bullet and paid out of pocket for Synthroid fro a time, and I felt better and I lost weight. But I couldn't afford to pay out of packet all the time, so I went back to the generic and the same thing happened as before. My thyroid levels are consistently good, but I go through bouts of fatigue and it is harder to keep weight off. My metabolism has gotten a bit slower but it still works.. My doctor has recently upped my dosage for the first time even though I am still in the normal range, he says we have a little room to experiment with the dosages to see if these bouts of fatigue will go away. If you can stay on Synthroid, that's what I recommend, or maybe levo will work fine for you. Hopefully your symptoms will go away quickly, you may have to give it about 6 weeks for you body to start reacting, though.
  • debora333
    Options
    i have been on Synthroid for over 23 years. I was an absolute mess at first, very sick. but once they found teh correct dose i have been fine. there have been times that i skipped days, and thought all would be fine. i was wrong, my numbers shot up quickly and the symptoms came back too. so what ever the dose they say stick with it. You will feel great as long as you take the meds. good luck