Hypothyroidism

Options

Replies

• DentalEJ
    DentalEJ Posts: 21
    Options
    I've been on levo for about 6 years now and my dose is up to about 150mcg/day. Most of what I notice about it is that I retain less water, have a speedier digestive tract, and more energy. It hasn't made it *easier* to lose weight. Just *possible.* After the birth of my daughter, my levels yo-yo'd for about 2.5 years and I couldn't lose the baby weight for love nor money. Eventually things settled down, I found the right level, and I began to lose weight again. I'm now plateaued on weight loss (for the last 5 months or so.) and just had my blood tested again.

You should start to feel better soon, which will make it easier to stick to your workouts and give you the energy to cook better food.

Good luck!

Thank you Eli, best wishes to you. I am relieved to know of no negative side effects.
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've been on levothyroxine 75mcg for nearly 2 years now.
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    There is a group you can join called Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. Here is the link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • DentalEJ
    Options
    I've been taking it for years :smile: It takes about 6 weeks or so before it really gets into your system, but once it does you'll be amazed at how much better you feel! (I didn't realize how tired I was until I started feeling better) Likely over the course of your life your doctor will have to adjust and play with your levels, but overall it is very helpful!

Thanks for sharing. Happy to read happy stories. Best wishes.
  • DentalEJ
    Options
    There is a group you can join called Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. Here is the link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

Cool, thanks. Just joined.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I take the generic. I felt better instantly once i was diagnosed and started taking it.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    just to point out hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism are opposites

hypo being under active
    hyper being over active

Don't really know why you had to point it out. Everyone here seems to know what they have.

thread title

Yes, but everyone who commented on the thread has hypothyroidism and is on the meds the OP was asking about. Are you afraid some hypers snuck in here?
  • pilarg18
    pilarg18 Posts: 25
    Options
    just to point out hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism are opposites

hypo being under active
    hyper being over active

Don't really know why you had to point it out. Everyone here seems to know what they have.

thread title

When you're diagnosed as hyperthyroid, the goal (typically) is to regulate you either through medication, radiation or surgery. It's great if any of these options bring you within normal TSH, T3, T4 levels, but typically they don't. Next best option is to make you slightly hypothyroid so your condition can be controlled with synthroid or levothyroxine because the long term effects aren't as detrimental to your health as remaining hyperthyroid or staying on PTU or Methimazole. Since I think my post was the only one that spoke about initially being hyperthyroid, as someone who through radiation is now hypothyroid, please know that I understand the difference. Thanks.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I have a hypothyroid too. I've been on synthroid and the generic version (Levo). I am up to a dose of 100 on synthroid. I have found and have been told by a few doctors that the generic is NOT as effective as brand. I switched back to brand over this past summer and finally regained a little energy and found that I could lose wait slowly with VERY careful watch over calories (can't go above 1200) and daily exercise (~600 burned calories through exercise a day). Most people would probably lose weight fast given my regimen but I lose weight at a rate of 1 pound per week (max). It takes lots of motivation and support to lose this slowly.

Anyhow, hope this feedback helps. I know it is recommended to be gluten-free w thyroid issues. I do try to limit gluten (though I am not gluten free). You can search this relationship and find LOTS of supportive solid research on being gluten free to aid with thyroid management and health. I was gluten free for 3 years and my weight was in a great range -- I do believe it helps.
  • DentalEJ
    Options
    I have been on thyroid medication for 11 years. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism not long after I had my daughter. Once I got on Synthroid medication, my symptoms went away and my post baby weight melted off. A few years ago, I had to switch to generic levothyroxine because of my insurance plan, and though i know people say there is no difference, I don't believe the generic is as good as the brand. I believe this because, I bit the bullet and paid out of pocket for Synthroid fro a time, and I felt better and I lost weight. But I couldn't afford to pay out of packet all the time, so I went back to the generic and the same thing happened as before. My thyroid levels are consistently good, but I go through bouts of fatigue and it is harder to keep weight off. My metabolism has gotten a bit slower but it still works.. My doctor has recently upped my dosage for the first time even though I am still in the normal range, he says we have a little room to experiment with the dosages to see if these bouts of fatigue will go away. If you can stay on Synthroid, that's what I recommend, or maybe levo will work fine for you. Hopefully your symptoms will go away quickly, you may have to give it about 6 weeks for you body to start reacting, though.

Thanks for sharing :) I always thought that Synthroid being the original is better but they assured me that Levo is the same thing, if it wasn't the FDA wouldn't approve it. No one really knows until you try it and listen to your body. Some patients that start on Synthroid And switch to Levo report feeling the effects. There is a big difference in price for sure, and it does add up because this is a life treatment. Best wishes.
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I just started on Synthroid about 3 weeks ago (I was on it for a bit about 6-7 years ago, but I was borderline and stopped taking it), and the biggest differences are (tmi!) that I don't need such a high fibre diet to get my digestive system moving, and that I'm not absolutely freezing cold all of the time! Oh, and also, I was supposed to start my period a few days ago, but it hasn't happened, that is pretty typical from what I've found online. I am still tired, but I don't get the sleep I should. I am still in early phases, I have 3 weeks until my first bloodtests to check my TSH and T4 again to see if this dose is right for me or not.
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I have been on thyroid medication for 11 years. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism not long after I had my daughter. Once I got on Synthroid medication, my symptoms went away and my post baby weight melted off. A few years ago, I had to switch to generic levothyroxine because of my insurance plan, and though i know people say there is no difference, I don't believe the generic is as good as the brand. I believe this because, I bit the bullet and paid out of pocket for Synthroid fro a time, and I felt better and I lost weight. But I couldn't afford to pay out of packet all the time, so I went back to the generic and the same thing happened as before. My thyroid levels are consistently good, but I go through bouts of fatigue and it is harder to keep weight off. My metabolism has gotten a bit slower but it still works.. My doctor has recently upped my dosage for the first time even though I am still in the normal range, he says we have a little room to experiment with the dosages to see if these bouts of fatigue will go away. If you can stay on Synthroid, that's what I recommend, or maybe levo will work fine for you. Hopefully your symptoms will go away quickly, you may have to give it about 6 weeks for you body to start reacting, though.

Thanks for sharing :) I always thought that Synthroid being the original is better but they assured me that Levo is the same thing, if it wasn't the FDA wouldn't approve it. No one really knows until you try it and listen to your body. Some patients that start on Synthroid And switch to Levo report feeling the effects. There is a big difference in price for sure, and it does add up because this is a life treatment. Best wishes.

I was posting the same time as you (above). Anyhow, there is now a basis to understand why the FDA would approve a drug that is similar but not the same. It has to do with patents on the time release. There are differences that the medical community is acknowledging between brand and generic and I must underscore (with my case study of 1) that I witnessed a marked difference. I started with brand - switched to generic - and then returned to brand. Lots of confounds, but with doctor's statements about what he's seen with his 100s of patients, recognized my observation to be real and not an artifact.
  • Windi38
    Windi38 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Was diagnosed in August last year, started on Levo 75mcg. My levels are normal now, but I can't say that I have noticed any real difference. My doctor said my levels would be normal long before my symptoms would improve....said it would take at least 6 months. I noticed last month there was less hair in the bathroom, so I guess I'm not losing so much hair now. Other than that, I feel no different. But then again, I don't think I had nearly the extreme kind of symptoms other people can have, so I should probably consider myself lucky... :)
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism too. I decided to go the holistic approach instead of the traditional medical approach. For the first 2 years, so much improved with my health. I even lost 60+ pounds in those first two years but I had to be super strict with my eating ALL the time. However, the doctor I see checked my thyroid levels every 3 months and nothing we've done naturally has helped--although all of my other medical issues are now gone. So, I started synthroid a few weeks ago. I haven't been able to tell much of a difference yet, but I understand that it takes time. My biggest complaints are that I'm freezing cold ALL the time and that last 12 pounds will not budge no matter how clean I eat or how much I exercise. I'm really hoping that once the med is regulated, I'll see a noticeable improvement in these two areas. I still get my blood work done every 3 months which is extremely important. For anyone on this medication, make sure your doctor is keeping a close check on things.
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Been on thyroid replacement for over 15 years. What I can tell you is this. It takes a long time. You'll start feeling better after 2-4 weeks, but it's longer than that before you feel good. GET ON SYNTHROID AND STAY ON IT. Your insurance prob won't pay for anything but the generic. And most of the generics are fine--but your pharmacy might change brands on you, or you might need to change pharmacies. It's been my experience that every time you change brands you have a down time until your body gets used to it and I had one that I never did feel good on. My husband is a pharmacist and recommends generics all the time--but not for thyroid replacement. Get everything else generic or not, but buy the Synthroid for this.

DON'T TAKE IT WITHIN FOUR HOURS OF A CALCIUM (my husband recommends Citracal Plus with Magnesium) or IRON (or vitiamin supplement with iron) SUPPLEMENT !!!! Try to take it on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.

These two tips have made a world of difference to me. And get plenty of exercise--that's the only thing that will really make you feel good.
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm on Levo. I actually had my thyroid removed two years ago. Just remember that as you lose weight, you'll need your numbers checked again as it can affect your dosage.

Thanks, I didn't know :) it makes sense. How do you like Levo, any effects you have noticed?

I do fine on the Levo. You just want to make sure that you don't switch between brands and that you get your refills from the same place every time. There can be variations between doses. For instance, a dose of .8 synthroid can be different than a dose of .8 Levo (more meds or less meds). If you switch between brands/pharmacies, then you will not know what dose you really need to be on when you have your bloodwork done.

Edited to add that you want to follow your doctors recommendations in regard to timing of your meds (take 1 hour before/after eating, don't take withing 4 hours of taking calcium/iron). This can all affect the absortion of your meds.
  • Redptlmtd
    Redptlmtd Posts: 14
    Options
    I too am on thyroid replacement. I have been for about 22 years. I've been on synthroid and generics. About 8 years ago I switched ot Armour thyroid. It works best for me. Other's advise it right on. Take it the same time everyday, on an empty stomach. Wait an hour before eating and take vitamins later in the day. Check your levels often at first. You'll do great!! There are a lot of us out there!!
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I have battled with hypthyroidism for 20 years. I have been on all sorts of doses and I think I am finally the best I have ever been on .150 mg. Pay attention to your body, if you notice symptoms have them check your TSH because it changes as you gain and lose weight so dosage needs to be adjusted. I think Synthroid is the best, I have done the generic and I don't recommend it. Good luck :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options

Had this happen to me too. Once I got back on Synthroid, it took sometime to regulate again. Make sure your insurance covers your medication before you start or your body gets use to a certain formula.
  • fergie918
    Options
    I have been taking synthroid for 34 years now. I had hyperthyroidism w/ goiter . Thyroid was removed in 1979.
    I now have hypothyroidism. The bigest thing I noticed after my surgery is really no appetite and I have had to force myself to eat at times. My energy level is low and I still have days with alot of fatigue. I have routine checkups an all is fine. There is a difference between generic and name brand for sure.But still what works best for each person.