not diet related personal question alert

Options
AnneElise
AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
So I didn't know who else to ask this question to and I thought what a great bunch of people that might be able to help. Can a pregnancy test be wrong? I was suposed to start last sunday and it is now wenesday. Starting on sunday at about 6 O'clock each night I have started to feel really crappy and my stomach has been bothering me. I took a test on monday because I was worried and it said I wasn't pregnant. I still havn't started my period though and still feeling sick at night time. (We are NOT trying to be pregnant... but not really trying to not be pregnant either). What do you all think?

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents. Not to scare you or excite you, but I took a pregnancy test that was negative. Then a week later, after a 6 lb weight gain only in my belly, I took another one and 7 months later my son was born. I would say if it bothers you, try again. Also, if you have the flu or stress or anything like that, it could also mess with your cycle. If you are normally regular, and a second pregnancy test comes up negative, then call your doctor and discuss it with them. Sometimes vitamin deficiencies can also mess with our cycles.

I wish you the best.
  • sslandy
    sslandy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    In my experience (I'm not a doctor - just a mom to four). I have never gotten a false negative but I've never checked that soon. I always checked about a week or more after I was due. So many things can cause you to be late. A more intense exercise routine. A big diet change. Stress. Give it a couple of more days.

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    You can get a false negative. I would wait and retest. With my 3rd baby I got a positive at home and went to the doctors so she could have it on record, it came back negative (I had been to the gym that morning and drank 1.5 liters of water) She told me then there is no such thing as a false positive but that you can get false negative for several reasons. Obviously I went back next day without having drank as much water and it was positive there as well.

Give it a few more days. I hope you get whatever result you are hoping for!
  • angelface12004
    Options
    since i have started dieting my periods have all been screwed up, and i hear that happens a lot but just to be on the safe side you may want to go and get a test done by your doctor to make sure since that test is a lot better then most HPT
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Thanks all. I am not sure I what I am hoping for. I am usually regular but I have been running more than usual this month. I will give it until next week and test again. Just don't know what these stomach aches are about :ohwell:
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    For the last 2 months I have been between 2-3 1/2 weeks late. Last month I felt so gross all the time in morning. I took a few test and all said negative.

It can be the hormones in our bodies just trying to regulate. If I'm late again this month by my last period I'll be calling the doctor.
  • Tilleyflipflop
    Options
    Good Luck either way! Am not a mum- would love to be a mum, but need a Dad first!

Have done a few tests in panic- but all were negative and correct!
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    I have had false negatives before. In fact one of my 6 were confirmed by an ultrasound because the Doc's test came back negative more then once also. If you are going to test again, try and do it first thing in the morning (first time you go to the bathroom)
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I am not sure I what I am hoping for. I am usually regular but I have been running more than usual this month. I will give it until next week and test again. Just don't know what these stomach aches are about :ohwell:

I know how you feel here though. And pretty soon every little thing is going to be linked to you being pregnant. Headaches, upset stomach, etc. It sucks not knowing. But you really have no other way to tell than to go to the doctor. My aunt had false negatives with all 4 of her kids. My friend has 2, and each time she got pregnant she had a horrible migrane that made her puke and her blood pressure sky rocketed. If you've been pregnant before, how did you feel the first time around? Rationally compare the two and think about it logically. I tend to get myself all excited and then it feels like foreverrrr since I've had my period and I think I'm pregnant. Just be logical about it and test in about a week or two. As long as you're treating your body well, (not binge drinking or shooting up lol) you should be fine with waiting a little before contacting the doctor. Good luck!
  • Reecie99
    Reecie99 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hey there ... One thought I had ... pregnancy is normal. Menstruel cramps are normal ... but if your pain isn't menstrual cramps, it could mean something dangerous. What if you had a false negative on that test, and are actually pregnant, it could be an etopic pregnancy which is dangerous for you and any future children you would want. I say get yourself to the doctor! No one likes doctor visits (especially to the girly doctor!!) but it could be important! Good luck!!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I hope it works out for you! If you are pregnant, we have a group here for that. It's called "Pregnancy 2010 - Week __". We're starting our 18th week today. It's a group for people our are TTC, pregnant, or trying ot get in shape before TTC.

Best of luck to you!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    If you still haven't started by Sunday, I'd do another test. My pregnancies didn't show up on a test until I was a week late.
  • judithsimons
    Options
    Sounds like you need to see your doctor.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    I have had false negatives before. In fact one of my 6 were confirmed by an ultrasound because the Doc's test came back negative more then once also. If you are going to test again, try and do it first thing in the morning (first time you go to the bathroom)

Thanks, thats a good tip. I took mine at night
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    I always had morning sickness before I could get a positive result on an at home pregnancy test. The HCG can be detected in your blood before it can be detected in your urine, so after having several difficult pregnancies, they started testing my blood in order to know ASAP. You may want to check into that, but it may be reserved for high risk.

Keep us posted!
  • AnneElise
    Options
    It isn't really pain. Its more like my stomach is upset (I havn't thrown up yet). I think I will give it to sunday unless it gets worse then I will call a doctor.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    I always had morning sickness before I could get a positive result on an at home pregnancy test. The HCG can be detected in your blood before it can be detected in your urine, so after having several difficult pregnancies, they started testing my blood in order to know ASAP. You may want to check into that, but it may be reserved for high risk.

Keep us posted!

Thanks, I will ask my doctor about it if this continues for longer than a week.
  • arobles3231
    arobles3231 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have gotten a false positive before but I had a cyst and they said sometimes it can do that! It was also taken at night! My second pregnancy I took 3 tests a week apart each time and the third one finally said positive. It was a complete surprise since I already had a 5 month old but things couldn't have turned out better!
  • kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise can definitely play a role as to when you get your period. No one's body works like clockwork and you may just be having a longer cycle. I would test again this weekend, but make sure not to use a blue dye test - they are notorious for inaccurate results. Definitely take the test in the morning when the HCG will be more prevalent, or hold your urine for a few hours and test again.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread. Please keep up updated. I'm going through something similar. My periods have been really light the last few months and this month it was light and has been really really light. I have also been feeling kind of off -- a bit of an upset stomach, minor headaches, gas, and emotional. I took a pregnancy test and it came back negative. I'm wondering if maybe it is just stress. I'm going to give it another month and then see a doctor if nothing has changed.

I wonder for me if part of it is in my head. A lot of my friends and family have had children recently so I am starting to feel my biological clock ticking away not to mention a lot of pressure from my parents, sister and the inlaws to give them a grandchild.
    The last year or so I have even started to have regular dreams about having children. Does it sound like I am losing my mind? Has anyone else had these motherly urges seemingly come out of the blue?