How do you sear beef without burning down the house?

Options
2»

Replies

• kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Wow that's weird I've just watched a cooking section on tv and the were doing seared steak with potato grattan
    He said the problem most people have when searing the meat is the smoke so the best way to get round that is to oil the meat and not the pan!! So you pour your oil onto a plate then place the meat in and turn making sure all parts of the meat are covered in the oil then place the meat in your pan which should be heated to a medium heat pour in any excess oil that is left on the plate then sprinkle on some salt and pepper then turn the heat up slightly, leave for a few mins then turn over.

Hope this helps x

This is the recipe for it http://www.itv.com/lorraine/food/ribeye-steak-with-potato-gratin/

I was going to suggest this. I used to oil the pan first up until a few months ago, and then I saw something about oiling the meat. It may have been on Saturday morning kitchen. Anyways, I've been doing it that way since then and I use a lot less oil. I actual brush mine on my meat.
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Non-stick pan on medium high heat. Leave the pan dry, pat the meat dry with paper towel, and generously brush the meat with safflower oil (doesn't smoke as much) and season meat. Rub the oil and seasonings into the meat DON'T turn the meat more than once
  • ashleymcn01
    ashleymcn01 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Wow that's weird I've just watched a cooking section on tv and the were doing seared steak with potato grattan
    He said the problem most people have when searing the meat is the smoke so the best way to get round that is to oil the meat and not the pan!! So you pour your oil onto a plate then place the meat in and turn making sure all parts of the meat are covered in the oil then place the meat in your pan which should be heated to a medium heat pour in any excess oil that is left on the plate then sprinkle on some salt and pepper then turn the heat up slightly, leave for a few mins then turn over.

Hope this helps x

This is the recipe for it http://www.itv.com/lorraine/food/ribeye-steak-with-potato-gratin/

I was going to suggest this. I used to oil the pan first up until a few months ago, and then I saw something about oiling the meat. It may have been on Saturday morning kitchen. Anyways, I've been doing it that way since then and I use a lot less oil. I actual brush mine on my meat.

I was planning on cooking up some flank steak this weekend, for the method above, do you guys use a nonstick or a cast iron? I'm assuming you would be using a nonstick since you are using oil. Also, what type of oil are you using? And one last question, does your kitchen smoke at all with this method? Thanks!!