juice fast

Options
hey I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the juice fast diet, I randomly stumbled onto the fat sick and nearly dead film and I think I have found something I actually feel confident about trying. my birthday is on the 20th of April and with the money I get I will be buying a juicer, some scales and what ever fruit and veg I need for the juice fast. I think I will try it for 10 days maybe longer if I can feel I can manage. I will also post my results,

Replies

• MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    The 'problem' of things like a juice fast diet is that they are not sustainable. If you do not change the behaviour that led you to be you current weight permanently a diet will always only work temporarily. If you're the type of person that needs to see some results fast the juice fast might help you get started, but keep in mind it is not a permanent solution to your problem.

Another issue with the juice fast diet is that when you drink something you feel less filled up then when you would eat the same amount of fruits and vegetables not juiced, so it's actually harder to do. Also, by juicing the fruits and vegetables you're destroying part of it's fiber contents which are needed for good bowel movements. Again, this all isn't so much a problem if you're just doing it 10 days. But I would really look into what good it is doing you after those 10 days.
  • ses0786
    ses0786 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've watched that. It looks good. Good luck with it all!
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Try to make lifestyle changes rather than 10 day fad diets.

Your losses will probably be mostly water and muscle rather than fat.
  • SeanWestLondon
    Options
    I will be drinking lots of water so I am losing fat instead of water, this is also the start of hoping a better life style change like better portion control, making sure I at the very least walk an hour a day and also try and finally sort my gym membership out
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on drinking juice for the rest of your life?

If not, you're more than likely going to put the weight right back on again when you start eating whole foods.

I'd suggest a moderate calorie deficit coupled with an intelligent and challenging exercise program.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options

If not, you're more than likely going to put the weight right back on again when you start eating whole foods.

I'd suggest a moderate calorie deficit coupled with an intelligent and challenging exercise program.

^^^THIS^^^ Listen to this guy knows what he's talking about......:smile:
  • m4ttcheek
    Options
    I will be drinking lots of water so I am losing fat instead of water

More likely you'll be flushing the salts out of your system that the "juice fast" probably wont replace. Therefor you'll be holding less water.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I will be drinking lots of water so I am losing fat instead of water, this is also the start of hoping a better life style change like better portion control, making sure I at the very least walk an hour a day and also try and finally sort my gym membership out

I don't understand why you feel you need to do something like this so you can do portion control, walking, and getting a gym membership? Why can't the start of your new lifestyle be simply deciding to watch portions, walking, and purchasing a gym membership?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Unnecessary. You have long since graduated to solid food, there is no reason to give that up.

Your body needs food, willful practice of healthy eating habits. Delaying those habits is what got you here in the first place. Do not put them off longer.
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to starve yourself? You'll feel rubbish and for what? ... A quick fix that will only last for as long as you're on it. The only way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat a varied, healthy, balanced diet and throw in some exercise. You should be looking on this as a lifestyle change not a temporary diet. By all means get a juicer and make smoothies, juices etc but don't cut out all the other goods foods.
  • amyjax
    amyjax Posts: 102
    Options
    QIhAh.gif

No good can come from faddy juice "diets".

Stick to calorie deficits and moderate, regular exercise and the weight will come off in a healthy way.
  • zettevida
    Options
    A lot of people seem to be putting juicing down, but I have seen the documentary she is referring to, and it is very compelling. He actually does a juice fast for over a month, if I remember correctly, and then switches easily to eating vegan to keep the weight off. He cures himself of several chronic health problems and is a happier healthier person in the end.
    The problem is this: if he did not commit himself completely to exclusively juicing, he would not have had such amazing results. What he does in the movie takes a lot of will power. . . but so do many other things in life that may be worth doing.
  • 111orBust
    111orBust Posts: 41
    Options
    Don't see it as a Juice diet, see it as resetting your system.

I completed a 14 day water fast to heal a stomach problem (it was initially only going to be 7 days but I kept extending it). On top of fixing my tum and losing a bunch of weight, I now no longer stuff myself and only eat to satiety regardless of what's left on my plate, I don't want to eat junk food anymore as the idea of putting it in my body repels me, from the moment I wake up my skin looks like I've just had a spa treatment and I'm so much more mindful and respectful of how I treat my body.

The main problem I had during the fast was overwhelming fatigue and it is taking a while to get my strength back but for all the gains I've made, a few weeks out to rebuild muscle is no biggie.

Best of luck whatever you decide!
  • m4ttcheek
    Options
    Do you look anything like you avatar though?
  • 111orBust
    111orBust Posts: 41
    Options
    I'd find it a little disconcerting if I did, I'm female :smile:
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    this is also the start of hoping a better life style change like better portion control, making sure I at the very least walk an hour a day and also try and finally sort my gym membership out

Why not do all this and NOT the juice fast? With no food, you aren't going to have the energy to walk an hour and go to the gym. EAT!!!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I tried a juice cleanse and I was so hungry all the time and crabby and felt sick. I know people who have had luck with 3 day cleanses and sometimes longer, but it isn't sustainable weight loss and be prepared to feel like poo.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Don't see it as a Juice diet, see it as resetting your system.

I completed a 14 day water fast to heal a stomach problem (it was initially only going to be 7 days but I kept extending it). On top of fixing my tum and losing a bunch of weight, I now no longer stuff myself and only eat to satiety regardless of what's left on my plate, I don't want to eat junk food anymore as the idea of putting it in my body repels me, from the moment I wake up my skin looks like I've just had a spa treatment and I'm so much more mindful and respectful of how I treat my body.

The main problem I had during the fast was overwhelming fatigue and it is taking a while to get my strength back but for all the gains I've made, a few weeks out to rebuild muscle is no biggie.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

Water fast?

You mean you didn't eat anything - anything at all - for 2 weeks?

You know that's the kind of **** anoretics pull, right?
  • karhunen
    karhunen Posts: 5
    Options
    Try to make lifestyle changes rather than 10 day fad diets.

Your losses will probably be mostly water and muscle rather than fat.

I agree, lifestyle changes are needed. I bought the program from https://www.tryfoodlovers.com and its awesome. What kind of "diet" lets you eat 6 times a day and still eat the food you love? Food Lovers program is a lifestyle change that kicks your metabolism into overdrive. I use it in conjunction with MFP and the gym. So far 46 pounds lost in 2 months.