Pistol Squats

Options
Hands up who can pistol squat......?

extra points if you have a picture!

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I can control the negative part of the pistol squat but need a strap suspended from the pull-up bar to get back out of the sit position. That's progress for me though - couldn't control the down-movement a few weeks ago.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I can control the negative part of the pistol squat but need a strap suspended from the pull-up bar to get back out of the sit position. That's progress for me though - couldn't control the down-movement a few weeks ago.

i tried it just now, and i could get down, but there was no way on earth i was getting back up!

also, i had to press my knees together for balance, i'm presuming this isnt really allowed?!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I can do skater squats.

I can do the negative portion of pistol squats.

I need to use a basketball as leverage though in order to lift myself back up.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I can, but they are not fun. I'm getting better slowly.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Haha, I couldn't even get halfway down :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Need vodka!
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what a pistol squat is! I can do frog squats with no hands on the floor....googling pistol squats!
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have to do a modified version of these. They are brutal! I have bad knees and they remind me how bad they are everytime that I attempt these in one of my workouts! Kudos to anyone that can successfully do these!
  • mamax5
    mamax5 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Whoa! Just saw on youtube a dude giving a tutorial and I had no idea what I was trying to do had a name....I can't go very far down, because then I can't get back up lol! I also do one legged squat with trx straps, but like I said I can't get very deep so one day I should be able to do these pistol squats!
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I put a youtube video on, called my kids age 9 and 11 and they both said, "that's easy"! I challenged them to do it but they couldn't do ONE :laugh: :laugh: I didn't even attempt it :laugh:
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I put a youtube video on, called my kids age 9 and 11 and they both said, "that's easy"! I challenged them to do it but they couldn't do ONE :laugh: :laugh: I didn't even attempt it :laugh:

hahahahahahahahahaha, you still have to try though!!!!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    My buttocks are throbbing from my pathetic attempt! Must continue doing them for buns of steel!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    My buttocks are throbbing from my pathetic attempt! Must continue doing them for buns of steel!

how far down did you get??
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Just tried this. Got down, couldn't get back up. WAHH I'm weak lol
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Just tried this. Got down, couldn't get back up. WAHH I'm weak lol

thats what happened to me!!!!
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Nope, tried many times and I think I have given up. I even pulled my hip flexor one time attempting them...no more agh!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm not there yet - but I will be. :wink:
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

also, i had to press my knees together for balance, i'm presuming this isnt really allowed?!

I think that is fine, certainly to begin with and then move knees away as you get stronger. Keeps your joints safe.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    so, i can get all the way down when i am in heels, but with bare feet, i cant get past my thigh being parallel?

i know i am not the most flexible person, but does anyone know if that is a calf or thigh issue?!
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I did one...ow ow ow ow ow
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    In case anyone didnt know what it was....(i didnt)

pistolform.jpg

Not even going to attempt. I know I cant do this. LOL