Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Pistol Squats

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

pistolform.jpg

Not even going to attempt. I know I cant do this. LOL

thanks for the picture!

but that is a defeatist attitude! try it!!!! you might surprise yourself!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Every since I saw this pic of Christmas Abbott, I have been wanting to conquer! Will try soon...

32609424-1CE3-40E0-98AA-0200AB10075F-3295-00000215B70404AB.jpg
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Not even going to attempt that I can't see it being any benefit to me
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Got to try it today, but first is breakfast. :D
  • TavistockToad
    Not even going to attempt that I can't see it being any benefit to me

theres always one....
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    so, i can get all the way down when i am in heels, but with bare feet, i cant get past my thigh being parallel?

i know i am not the most flexible person, but does anyone know if that is a calf or thigh issue?!

Are you getting a biting feeling in your weight bearing Achilles tendon? Could be a short calf tendon, common in folks who wear heels. If you cannot squat right down (*kitten* to grass as they say) with both feet on the floor, that's what it will be.

To lengthen, practise squatting with your heels down - you may need a block at first to take it slowly, or place your hands on a wall and step one foot back, bringing your heel down to the floor to get a good stretch in the calf muscle heel (Achilles) tendon. The front leg is bent in this.
  • TavistockToad
    so, i can get all the way down when i am in heels, but with bare feet, i cant get past my thigh being parallel?

i know i am not the most flexible person, but does anyone know if that is a calf or thigh issue?!

Are you getting a biting feeling in your weight bearing Achilles tendon? Could be a short calf tendon, common in folks who wear heels. If you cannot squat right down (*kitten* to grass as they say) with both feet on the floor, that's what it will be.

To lengthen, practise squatting with your heels down - you may need a block at first to take it slowly, or place your hands on a wall and step one foot back, bringing your heel down to the floor to get a good stretch in the calf muscle heel (Achilles) tendon. The front leg is bent in this.

thanks!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Huh. I never tried this variation because it looked scary but I just tried it in jeans and boots the day after a Legs Day and yes, I can do it. I will have to use this as my single leg variation for the next phase of NROL-Supercharged. Can you add weight to it?
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    I can pistol squat, I'll have to get a picture!!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    I can do a single leg squat standing on a step or chair. I cannot yet do it standing on the ground.
  • gabijadc
    gabijadc Posts: 90 Member
    I can do one (two on a good day) per leg... Still improving
  • elleryjones
    elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
    Here's a nice breakdown of it

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/breaking_down_the_pistol_squat

You've inspired me to play around with this some more. I love single leg stuff! I can do it but not many, and it's not always purty. :wink:
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    New (distant) goal. thank you.
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Just googled a video of a pistol squat. Ummm yeah nope not even going to attempt this lol.
  • TavistockToad
    <
    my best shot ! After doing insanity max interval circuit mind!!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,585 Member
    pistolsquat_zps8574969a.jpg

My pathetic attempt, a new goal for 2013 is being added to my profile :blushing:

ETA Tried to resize with no joy, look at my beautiful glass of wine though :drinker: :wink:
  • TavistockToad
    pistolsquat_zps8574969a.jpg

My pathetic attempt, a new goal for 2013 is being added to my profile :blushing:

ETA Tried to resize with no joy, look at my beautiful glass of wine though :drinker: :wink:

Great work!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    <
    my best shot ! After doing insanity max interval circuit mind!!

Great job!

I tried but I'm super tight in the hamstrings and it did not go well. :/
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    they seem like a pretty decent way to eff up one's knee (speaking from experience)
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    I'm getting really close, but I'm not quite there yet!! That's one of my goals (to do multiples of them).