Beautiful and unique snowflake...

Options

Replies

• FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should summarize.

Dont worry about losing weight, you are special just the way you are.....

Which is a thing a lot of people struggle with. We do all strive to be healthy but need to also remember that other parts of us - personality, character, ect. - are important and awesome too. Not sure why you have an issue with that?

again its not the message of your character or anything else, its the implication of posting this on a scale.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Don't care. Kevin's The Man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNoz8J52bvQ

How embarrassing though. He's from Liverpool, not Birmingham.
    Blue's Clues is an American children's television show that premiered on September 8, 1996 on the cable television network Nickelodeon,[1] and ran for ten years, until August 6, 2006. Producers Angela Santomero, Todd Kessler and Traci Paige Johnson combined concepts from child development and early-childhood education with innovative animation and production techniques that helped their viewers learn. It was hosted originally by Steven Burns

STEVE IS THE MAN, and has a pretty decent band as well.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    What's your problem here? That someone decided to say something that is true? A person's weight doesn't define their character, beauty, or worth. Blah blah blah we all need to be healthy, whatever.. sure... but science says the scale is a measure of your body in relation to gravity. That's facts, bro.
    youre right its facts. But its the implication

Sure let me walk up to a carton of cigs and the surgeons general warning on it post a note. And say, " this just tells you about lung cancer, it doesnt say anything about your peace of mind, your stress levels, or how cool you look."

I don't really understand your cigarette metaphor... adults are allowed to make their own choices, based on whatever opinions and ideas they have. Nobody's saying we should all just stay fat because we're cool on the inside.

People get this whole fitness thing twisted the fuck up in their heads.  Folks start thinking they have to look a certain way to be respected or worthy of happiness, and that's just simply not true.  It's also pretty detrimental to society, if you ask me.  Support your friends and loved ones in their efforts to be more healthy and take better care of themselvesbecause being healthy is a big deal ... but if they don't want to be a ripped meathead that doesn't make them any less of a good person.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    The inability to view images at work has left me feeling a little lost and confuzzled.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Which is a thing a lot of people struggle with. We do all strive to be healthy but need to also remember that other parts of us - personality, character, ect. - are important and awesome too. Not sure why you have an issue with that?

again its not the message of your character or anything else, its the implication of posting this on a scale.
    have you read some of the posts on here? Some people are so emotionally tied to that number that they freak out.

I need to lose weight. But do I tie my self-worth to that number? No.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

Where would you suggest someone post this message? We are, afterall, discussing a person's weight as a measure of their body in relation to gravity.... if it were posted on a smith machine, it wouldn't really make sense, would it?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    What's your problem here? That someone decided to say something that is true? A person's weight doesn't define their character, beauty, or worth. Blah blah blah we all need to be healthy, whatever.. sure... but science says the scale is a measure of your body in relation to gravity. That's facts, bro.

tumblr_mjzatprBOf1rvez7qo4_r2_250_zpsc2ee8815.gif
  • FootballGamer58
    Options
    youre right its facts. But its the implication

Sure let me walk up to a carton of cigs and the surgeons general warning on it post a note. And say, " this just tells you about lung cancer, it doesnt say anything about your peace of mind, your stress levels, or how cool you look."

I don't really understand your cigarette metaphor... adults are allowed to make their own choices, based on whatever opinions and ideas they have. Nobody's saying we should all just stay fat because we're cool on the inside.

People get this whole fitness thing twisted the fuck up in their heads.  Folks start thinking they have to look a certain way to be respected or worthy of happiness, and that's just simply not true.  It's also pretty detrimental to society, if you ask me.  Support your friends and loved ones in their efforts to be more healthy and take better care of themselvesbecause being healthy is a big deal ... but if they don't want to be a ripped meathead that doesn't make them any less of a good person.

Again its the implication of posting to a scale, i dont think you are getting. People are saying that actually, check out the fat acceptance and HAES movement.

You are correct people are pushed to look a certain way and tahts always been a problem, but fighting against that isnt a reason to not better yourself. Accepting an unhealthy lifestyle is detrimental to society as well. youre right no one has to be elite at fitness but they should try to live a healthy lifestyle.

And calling people meatheads is just like calling someone a fat a.. its not a nice term.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    Sorry, but I don't trust anything said by a scale called "Dectecto"...it seriously sounds like a B-rated super villian.

May scale says I'm special and that I'm awesome...I believe it. Gravity has nothing to do with weight loss and weighing and scales. That's just poppycock.

LOL your picture shows you looking like a bad *kitten* on your bike and you said "poppycock". hehe thats so cute :wink:
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    280sw007883.gif

I ****ing love The Dude
  • FootballGamer58
    Options

Where would you suggest someone post this message? We are, afterall, discussing a person's weight as a measure of their body in relation to gravity.... if it were posted on a smith machine, it wouldn't really make sense, would it?

then please tell me why was it posted to a scale... please dont tell me the creator was simply stating the laws of physics. they were implying something about character which has no relation to weightloss and living a healthy lifestyle
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-5262-1362173037-0.gif

YES!!
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love that sign on the scale. Because for me, personally, as someone who thought for a long time that being thinner would make me happier, have more friends, etc., that's a hell of a reminder that the number doesn't reflect everything some would like to think it does.

I still believe that being thinner will give me more confidence, but that is because of my mentality. If anyone gets to know me, they'll see what a gorgeous person I am. And if they don't because of my weight? Their loss, not mine. I'm a kick-*kitten* woman who's working on bettering her health because she wants to keep kicking *kitten* for a long time. :flowerforyou:
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lpdt2kegqF1qih6o0_zps2403219a.gif

American Kevin weirds me out. Our Blue has a friend who's black and comes from Birmingham. I like him. (And we made it first, it's ours, so there.)

American Kevin's name is actually Steve :laugh:
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lpdt2kegqF1qih6o0_zps2403219a.gif

American Kevin weirds me out. Our Blue has a friend who's black and comes from Birmingham. I like him. (And we made it first, it's ours, so there.)

American Kevin's name is actually Steve :laugh:

I believe "Joe" replaced Steve when Steve pursued his musical career. (21 nieces and nephews...couldn't hide from it.)
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    You forgot that your weight doesn't tell you your overall FITNESS level. I think your post is sweet and you seem like a stand up guy :flowerforyou:
  • FootballGamer58
    Options
    I absolutely love that sign on the scale. Because for me, personally, as someone who thought for a long time that being thinner would make me happier, have more friends, etc., that's a hell of a reminder that the number doesn't reflect everything some would like to think it does.

I still believe that being thinner will give me more confidence, but that is because of my mentality. If anyone gets to know me, they'll see what a gorgeous person I am. And if they don't because of my weight? Their loss, not mine. I'm a kick-*kitten* woman who's working on bettering her health because she wants to keep kicking *kitten* for a long time. :flowerforyou:

see thats the better way to approach this tho, people need to learn that change comes from internal motivation not external.

My issue is that there are groups out there posting notes liek this encouraging people to not worry about their health just because they are a good person and thats all that matters. yes it matters....but that doesnt make being healthy any less important.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    That sign is called "positive reinforcement"... a foreign concept on these forums
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    My issue is that there are groups out there posting notes liek this encouraging people to not worry about their health just because they are a good person and thats all that matters.

How is this saying all that? You're reading too much into it, and your 'implications' are pretty off-base. It's a simple reminder that the number on the scale does not define who you are as a person. It is in no way saying "you look so great right now, there's no reason to lose weight!"

One of the words listed is "possibility", and another is "strength". These both can be tied to someone seeking to improve their health and lifestyle. So... again... how is it saying all these "implications" of yours?
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Haha Love it!!